Will this 08 booster fit a 08/15?

The opening for the barrel of a standard MG08 booster is too small for a MG08/15 barrel to pass through. I do have an example of a somewhat rare type used on MG08/15s that is identical to the MG08 booster on the outside with the only difference being the size of the opening for the barrel.

Sorry about the piece of wood, one booster I have not been able to take apart and the wood is to put the level of the ends at approximately same height for the photo. The booster configured for a MG08/15 is on the left. The threads are the same.

booster C.jpg

Yes, you can use it on an 08/15 if you either remove the muzzle bushing on your 08/15 barrel or get an MG08 barrel. The MG08 booster is bored for the MG08 muzzle OD, but keep in mind that using an MG08 barrel, the MG08 booster body becomes the muzzle bearing because the 08/15 jacket front endcap hole is bored for the larger 08/15 muzzle bushing. MG08 boosters were adapted to 08/15s this way in WWI.

Early MG08/15 barrels had flared muzzles for use with the 08/15 booster. To allow MG08 barrels to be used in 08/15s if necessary, the screw on muzzle bushing was adopted making the MG08 barrels useable in 08/15s. FWIW

Thanks for the info. What is "muzzle bearing". When the barrell reciprocates does it rest on the booster or something else.?

Yes, you can use it on an 08/15 if you either remove the muzzle bushing on your 08/15 barrel or get an MG08 barrel. The MG08 booster is bored for the MG08 muzzle OD, but keep in mind that using an MG08 barrel, the MG08 booster body becomes the muzzle bearing because the 08/15 jacket front endcap hole is bored for the larger 08/15 muzzle bushing. MG08 boosters were adapted to 08/15s this way in WWI.

Early MG08/15 barrels had flared muzzles for use with the 08/15 booster. To allow MG08 barrels to be used in 08/15s if necessary, the screw on muzzle bushing was adopted making the MG08 barrels useable in 08/15s. FWIW

The muzzle of the barrel is a slide fit through the hole in the jacket front endcap of the Maxims. This hole is the "bearing" surface for the barrel. The ID of the hole in the MG08 booster is the same as the jacket endcap hole.

The ID of the hole in the front endcap of the 08/15 jacket is larger to fit the OD of the 08/15 muzzle bushing. So, the smaller OD MG08 barrel muzzle no longer is a slide fit when used in the 08/15 but the MG08 booster still has the smaller hole in it so the rear of that booster acts as the 'bearing" for the barrel.

Making a water seal using the MG08 barrel in the 08/15 is a bit of a problem since the difference between the ID of the barrel and the OD of the hole is large. I found that much thicker material than the usual 1/8" or so material can be used. My one attempt at using an MG08 barrel in an 08/15 many years ago, and trying to keep water in the jacket resulted in having to find something heavier to pack the gland and I recall using some 3/16" woven nylon cord. It leaked somewhat but was fine of a couple hours of shooting.

Thanks for the info. I use graphite faucet packing from the hardware store. It takes some effort and often leaks but only by drips which is good enough for a day or two of shooting. I have a booster but it is in sad shape, lots of corrosion after shooting and no longer unscrews like when it was new. It gets red hot after a 250 round belt of Romanian 8mm ammo. I will keep looking for a spare. There used to be a company that made them, I will try them and see if I can get one made. I have enough 08/15 barrels and do not want to try and get more 08 barrels. Edited by jamesbucklin