West Hurley 1927a1 - Total Production Numbers

I've had my West Hurley M1 Full Auto for 17 years now, and I went ahead and purchased a West Hurley M1927A1 Semi-Auto at the gun show today. I know, I may get some jabs about buying a semi-auto, and maybe even some comments about West Hurleys in general, but I am looking for information that folks on this board may be able to provide.

The WH 1927A1 I purchased is serial number 1015X. I was told this was an early production gun. Does anyone know how many were produced by AO WH? I found some production numbers in the National Firearms Museum Thompson Exhibit Guide as follows for other semi models:

1927A5: 3,346

1927A3: 5,117

There is a 1927A1 pictured that is serial number 30763. I would take that to mean that at least 20K 1927A1's were produced by WH, based on the difference between my serial number, and the one in the museum guide. Does anyone know more about the actual production numbers of this weapon? At what number did the serial numbers begin?

I feel like I got a good price on it, as I paid $725, and all the others I saw on various boards were in the high $800's. This one has nicer wood than most. The vertical fore grip seems like an older one, as I compared it to another WH of the same type at the show that had much less contour to the grip, and less desirable wood quality. Anyway, as long as it shoots fine, I'm sure I'll be happy with it. The main reason I purchased it was so that I could have a Thompson with a drum. (It came with a 30-rd mag...Still have to purchase the drum.)

I'm just trying to determine about how many of these guns are out there. I would bet that it's less than 50K, and probably more like 20K-30K, but that's just my guess. I'm sure someone will be able to share info that will further enlighten me on the subject.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

TD,

Thanks for the link. That's what I was looking for. The total through 1997 was 29,140 WH 1927A1's produced. Mine was made in 1980. I guess I was pretty good with my estimate of total production.

And not even a cheap shot about buying a semi-auto...

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com