Lest We Forget

Lest we forget.jpg

This 11th Nov. I thought I'd add some photos of Thompsons from WW2, which I have not seen on the board before, if I missed them, my apologise for adding them again.

29th Infantry Div Duren, 23.02.45 Op Grenade.jpg

29th Infantry Div. Duren, February 45

Marine M3 Stuart crew, Guadalcanal Campaign, fall 1942..jpg

Marine M3 Stuart crew, Guadalcanal Campaign, fall 1942.

Saipan - Sailor US Navy June 44.jpg

USN Sailor Saipan June 44

SAS Firepower Italian  Campaign.jpg

SAS firepower Italian Campaign

thompson02.jpg

Canadian Armoured Unit

thompson13.jpg

and a well deserved rest

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps
  • Upvote 1

With a MRE in your hands, I remember exchanging French 24 hour ration packs with US marines in Djibouti, back in the 1980's, the French rations were poop! It was not until 1989 that a ration, similar to MRE, was issued to us while we were on tour in French Guiana, patrolling the border during the Surinamese Interior War.

Edited by rpbcps

With a MRE in your hands, I remember exchanging French 24 hour ration packs with US marines in Djibouti, back in the 1980's, the French rations were poop! It was not until 1989 that a ration, similar to MRE, was issued to us while we were on tour in French Guiana, patrolling the border during the Surinamese Interior War.

I spent two weeks living on a French military base in Paris in '95 or '96 while tagged to be commander of US troops assigned to support Eurosatory - it only took one meal in their mess hall to convince me never to do that again. Ugh.

My pic was taken on Christmas Eve, 1996 - heading out to check on some of my troops and grabbed a delicious meal for on the way.

They say the French are proud of their cuisine, which has a reputation of being some of the best in the world, obviously that pride is absent in the military, I suffered six years of French military food, my first experience was also in Paris, in May 1984 when I arrived at Fort de Nogent to join the legion.

We were in the Balkans at the same time. I was deployed as a civilian analyst by my agency (NIMA later NGA) at the air base in Kaposvar in Hungary supporting the NATO IFOR peacekeeping mission, July-September '96.

• 2 years later...

Today I visited the Veterans walk in Sunderland, UK, to see the plaque that has just been put in place for my former work colleague, during my time in North Africa, who died of a heart attack in August.

https://www.nationalveteranswalk.co.uk/

P1130984.JPG P1130985.JPG

This reminded me to bring this post back to the top... lest we forget!

Legio Patria Nostra

Richard

NOV 11.png

Edited by rpbcps

Lovely Location Bedrock is. Nice view as well of the surrounding hills and mountains and dotted homes and villages.

Bedrock set atop a pretty good size hill. An unnatural hill comprised of smoke stack Fly Ash from the smoke stacks of Tuzla electric power plant, the worlds most filthy unregulated power plant during those years. It was so filthy during the winter, the snow around the plant and in/around Tusla was brown. Further more the hill is comprised of heavy metal wastes, coal trash / other toxic waste byproduct of coal mining. All this came from the mine which was just outside the hill. Makes for a fine cocktail of dusts to breath on a daily basis.

I suggest you get VA to do a CT scan of your lungs if you spent any considerable time there. Good times / good memories... most anyway. Semper Fi Mac.

Appreciate it. I did my claim when I retired back in 2015. Focus was on Iraq - Afghanistan but I will highlight this when I eventually go back in. I was fortunate to be off the Mega-FOBs with the burn pits for my tours. Happy to say No respiratory issues at this time

Thanks again.

On the 11th day of November, let us reflect.

We know that Freedom is not Free, it is provided by Brave Men and Women who are willing to put themselves in harm's way and we thank them all, from the bottom of our hearts, for their service.

11th Hour Lest We Forget.jpg

Not in uniform, but on duty with an Algerian Gendarme:

Convoy AK.jpg

Parachute drop over Calvi, our base in Corsica:

parachuting2.jpeg

Memories

Edited by rpbcps

• 3 weeks later...

Some pictures of my father . He was very proud American and a great father . He was a purple heart vet. He never talked to much about his life in the service. He carried a Thompson and a Grease Gun . He liked the grease gun better as it was lighter. He passed shortly after I got my 1st Thompson he shot it a few times I just cannot find the pictures.

DSCN3934 (2).JPG

DSCN3935 (2).JPG

DSCN3936 (2).JPG

DSCN3938 (2).JPG

DSCN3939 (2).JPG

DSCN3940 (2).JPG

DSCN3941 (2).JPG

DSCN3942 (2).JPG

• Upvote 1