2 W.h. 28`s

I looked at 2 W.H. 28`s that are consecitive serial #, the uppers , lowers & barrels are W.H. with all Savage internal partsin the uppers & lowers.They have W.H. rear sights. The wood and grip mounts are also Savage. The guns are in @ 70% condition. They come with a couple of 20 & 30 round mags each, NO drums. Also have pistiol grip front grips, I think they are GI. One of the guns has a Cutts comp with a finned barrel ,the other has a finned barrel no Cutts like the 21A. What would be a fair price for the 2 guns ? Does the matching serial #`s add any value to the pair ?

Thanks

Shane

My guess on the guns in 70% condition is about $6500-$7000 each. It is obvious that the one has had work to it by having the barrel changed for some reason. You might offer the guy say $12,000 for the pair and see if he'll go for it. Hell you might offer lower if the guy isn't a dealer, as dealers tend to be on the high side of their prices. Good luck and let us know.

I under stand about the numbers on military guns. These "2" guns have consecitive serial numbered recievers. The guy bought them from W.H. with no wood or internals in the guns and then put them together with GI parts.

Thanks

Shane

These replies of low prices are from long time people it seems.... Who already have their guns, or have networks in place to get in on the ground floor of Thompson sales.... Also I've never seen one person here offer to sell a gun regardless of condition for 6 or 7K... I'm up for a 6K gun if someone has one available.... Shoot I just paid 4.5K for a firing pin! Another 1.5 K for an actual fa tsmg sounds good to me!

In fact we have some people here who sell on ebaYâ„¢ and get some pretty bloated prices and then post "wtf is this? ebaYâ„¢" postings.... So take all pricing here with a grain of salt.....

I may be conservitive on the condition, next week I will have photos. The barrels are still in good shape. I will post the pics here, so ya`ll can judge. I am not a dealer that was my best guess they are probablly in better shape than 70%.

Thanks

Shane

All you have to do is start asking around. Those cheaper guns are out there. The dealers are the ones raising the prices to the sky. Just put the word out, not on the web, but in person. And yes there are original Colts still under the $12K range also. Just have to ask in the small towns too.

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Mar 18 2004, 07:02 AM)
All you have to do is start asking around. Those cheaper guns are out there. The dealers are the ones raising the prices to the sky. Just put the word out, not on the web, but in person. And yes there are original Colts still under the $12K range also. Just have to ask in the small towns too.

Thank you....

He is correct. The "advertised" price is what you mostly see by dealers and people who have been watching the dealers. Why do you think you see the same guns advertised month after month (not just days) it is because they are waiting for a person looking to buy who has cash to burn knowing that if they wait 6 months or so someone will come along. As I stated before, the price I mentioned was a fair deal for both parties as opposed to being one sided (in favor of the seller) which is what most people tend to read about.

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Mar 18 2004, 07:02 AM)

I'm going to respectfully, but strongly, disagree with Mike and Jim on this issue.

If Mike were to put his mint Colt 21 w/ case up for sale on this board, I guarantee you that by the end of the day he would have numerous offers well in excess of the $12k he paid. I'll start the bidding @ $17k, sight unseen. If Mike truely believes in the strategy he's telling you, then he should unhesitatingly accept my offer cause all he has to do is call around and replace the gun for thousands of dollars less than what I'm willing to pay. But Mike isn't going to sell that gun for that price cause he knows the chances of him replacing it for $12k are very, very small.

My advice to you is locate a reputable, active C3 dealer in your area. Have them help you locate a gun that fits you desires and budget. You can ask around here or check the list of recommended dealers @ Subguns.com.

kyle,

If Shane were to go through a CIII dealer, you can bet if will pay thousands more than if he did some leg work on his own.

As far as paying $17K for any item sight unseen (even if claimed to be mint) is a bit unwise.

I received pictures of a "near mint" Thompson, but looking closely rust was clearly evident and in an abundance. When asked about his claim of "near mint" he explained that I needed to take into consideration that is was a "really old item".

Also, if Shane does make a WTB post, he will surely get some outrageous offers, but by being a smart, patient and educated buyer, I am confident he will find a price within the range stated.

Shane will have to make the same decision as we did, wait and get a good price or get one now and pay a bit more.

Shane,

Maybe my experience will help provide a benchmark of sorts. Last year I bought 2 WH Thompsons for about $15k. These were 2 separate transactions, in June and July, I believe. The first was a mint M1 with 3 mags, from an individual in another state -- $7,200 plus 2 transfers. Found it on Gunbroker. He was an elderly gentleman, and it appears that he had listed it in the wrong category, so I don't think he go very many bites. The second was a 99.5% 1928, with an FBI case, sling, 4 XXX mags and a 39 rounder, for $7,400, plus 1 transfer. I bought it from a local dealer, who found it in an estate. He marked it up $400; I think his ususal markup was higher, but he owed me a favor. My sense is that I got a fair deal on the M1 and a bargain on the 28. Hope this helps.

Shane,

There are good, and even great, deals out there. About a year and a half ago a friend of mine bought a WH28,a 39-round drum, and several stick mags. I believe he paid around $3k for it. He also found a beretta M38 all matching for around $1800. I just finally picked up my Savage M1 , 5 xx mags, 5 xxx mags, an original 5 cell mag pouch, a 1917 Kerr sling, a 1903 sling, and an extra buttstock. the M1 had all Savage/Stevens internals,FJA, GEG, and Ordnance wheel stamps. $7500. Currently I am waiting on paperwork for a M50 reising with 5 original mags (2- 12's and 3-20's).

Price $2400. If you are patient and willing to do the legwork you will find a good deal, or perhaps, it will come to you. If not, you will pay somebody else for doing the legwork for you.

That's right, be patient. I got a beautiful M1 from a PD last year for $7k. It was a WWII M1 and they came to me with the offer. Local dealer wanted to give them $3000 and told them that there was no way they could get more then $3500 for the gun in it's condition. Give me a friggin' break! The gun was all original WWII parts and had been re-worked after seeing service. Now I'm working on some other deals, but you just have to be patient and do a lot of talking. Hell last summer I was shootin' the shit with a good old boy at my local shop, and we started talking about....Thompson's. He said he knew Eichoffs daughter and had some papers that she got from her dad. Wanted to know if I was interested. Turns out to be a personal account of his history from Purdue to end of AO before WWII. It was very fragile paper and typing was very faint on some pages. I retyped the entire 16 pages and have it posted on one of my pages.

Eickhoff pages

But yes start hanging out at some local gun shops and get out the word. See what shows up. Get a C&R permit and then you can save some bucks by having it shipped right to you. And when I do sell a gun I'm not going to break it off in you and not give a kiss. I'll make money, but someone will be happy also. Kyle, they're not for sale now. And I will not sell them or any of my guns to a dealer. They are in it for the money not the enjoyment.