Best Practices for MP43/44 wood preservation

What do you guys suggest regarding preservation of the MP44 wood butt stock and handles. Would Tru-Oil be good? Or do you suggest doing nothing to protect the wood. Should you remove the metal hardware on the butt stock or do you risk stripping out the wood screw holes.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by NFA amnesty

I owned two for over thirty years and did nothing more to the wood than wipe it down from time to time, generally once or twice a year if they had not been shot, with the same oil I used on the metal - G96. The wood looked just as good as the day I received them when it came time to ship them to the new owner. For whatever reason people seem to believe constant maintenance is required, it is not if you keep the guns in the proper environment.

Keep in mind that too much maintenance is just as bad as not enough. If it ain't broke, don't keep fixing it until it is.

Thanks everyone for your input/advice. Since these stocks are 75 plus years old and have heard others having problems with their wood stocks, thought I would check. Roscoe, could not agree more, really need to be careful to store in a lower humidity environment and be careful to not over clean/oil.

Some time ago I looked up what the NRA museum does in Washington, D.C., and as I recall it maintains an environment of 70 degrees and 50 percent humidity. Too low humidity dries out wood stocks. I noticed the humidity in my house plunges when the heat pump is running, but that's a short term issue here in the Panhandle of Florida where the humidity is high.

Robert