1921 Colt Thompson For Sale on GB, SN 569

Im glad Colt Chopper posted that too because on the surface it looks like a good deal to me and Im just learning about these guns.

What is the reason to have the barrel notch or and line on the receiver. Does the barrel seat a special way so the line makes you not over tighten it?? Isnt it just tightened up until snug ??

Witness mark identifies the correct position of the barrel relative to the receiver for the front and rear sights to properly align should the barrel with front sight be removed and the same barrel be reassembled. If a new barrel is assembled, then the sight alignment must be addressed by other means and the old witness mark on the receiver can be used to set the new witness mark on the new barrel.

I have asked this before, since the barrels are not indexed, the line must be put there after mounting, or are the barrels put on jig at a light torque spec, marked with an index mark slightly off of the line, and then mounted onto the receivers that has an index line, thus settling on to a specified barrel torque spec and matching index lines. Just curious.

I have asked this before, since the barrels are not indexed, the line must be put there after mounting, or are the barrels put on jig at a light torque spec, marked with an index mark slightly off of the line, and then mounted onto the receivers that has an index line, thus settling on to a specified barrel torque spec and matching index lines. Just curious.

2012 thread on this subject:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13868&hl=%20witness%20%20lines

I saw a completely worn out 1921 with a rotted out barrel go for 35k locally. It was on Gunbroker for awhile too.

I'm not a buyer but 35K for this gun seems reasonable for a shootable Colt if its a Colt barrel with nice rifling (even replaced).

• 2 weeks later...

curious why you guys think this one didnt sell??

when ruben can sell a refinished M1a1 for $27,000 over and over...here's Colt for $35k....and no bids...its not perfect...but its $35k and not $45k..

its an odd market for thompsons right now....$25k pitted M1's that sell and $35k colts in nice/decent shape that dont

curious why you guys think this one didnt sell??

when ruben can sell a refinished M1a1 for $27,000 over and over...here's Colt for $35k....and no bids...its not perfect...but its $35k and not $45k..

its an odd market for thompsons right now....$25k pitted M1's that sell and $35k colts in nice/decent shape that dont

Maybe it did sell huggy the item timed out but wasnt relisted. Could have been sold after the auction ended

most/all of my GB sales have been on the side after an auction that was unsuccessful...so i would assume so....just shocked there werent a few bids at $35k

had i been in the market today i would have seriously looked into this gun as an option....maybe M1a1's are the only thompsons going up in value...soon to eclipse Colts

M1 and M1A1 type Thompsons seem to have gone up in price more in the last 3 years than any other Thompsons.

There has been about 45% increase in sale price over that time.

All of these transferable MGs seem to go up in jerks rather than a smooth line.

there have been so few 1928's for sale and there have been at some points almost weekly M1a1's listed..so im not sure if we know what the price of a 1928 is

ruben had a refinished 1928ac that sold quickly for $27...same price as he sold his m1a1's for

i dont know what a 1928a1 untouched would sell for...havent seen one for sale in 1.5-2 years

cant disagree m1s havent gone up though......$23-27k whereas 2 years ago they were $21-22

a nice Thompson is still a hard find....lots of pitted/refinished guns on the market right now....if i were back in the market for a nice 1928 again i think id be sitting for years waiting for an original finish gun

Edited by huggytree

there have been so few 1928's for sale and there have been at some points almost weekly M1a1's listed..so im not sure if we know what the price of a 1928 is

ruben had a refinished 1928ac that sold quickly for $27...same price as he sold his m1a1's for

i dont know what a 1928a1 untouched would sell for...havent seen one for sale in 1.5-2 years

cant disagree m1s havent gone up though......$23-27k whereas 2 years ago they were $21-22

a nice Thompson is still a hard find....lots of pitted/refinished guns on the market right now....if i were back in the market for a nice 1928 again i think id be sitting for years waiting for an original finish gun

It really depends on how you go about buying. Most nice guns trade hands without going through commercial channels like Gunbroker or the big dealers. Not all, Ive seen some nice guns in those avenues however I see more nice guns trade hands in other places.

Those really interested in Thompsons are doing themselves a disservice by not getting involved in the clubs and networking. Some may argue this is just an avenue to sell memberships, however I also speak from experience. Ive learned more my in my last ~11 years in the club than I ever would have looking at books and webpages. As I have gotten more involved and networked more, Ive learned exponentially more.

Ron

Edited by ron_brock

Ron-I agree with you on getting involved with the different organizations as you do learn a lot of valuable knowledge. I can also attest to things in the Thompson world selling to collectors before they hit the open market/dealers. High end items sell without anyone being the wiser until its all said and done.

I'm still shocked that there hasn't been a thread started about the BSA and T2 Thompsons that were listed on Sturm a couple weeks ago. Seems odd that some of the rarer Thompsons go unnoticed while there is a 3 or 4 page thread about an idiot wanting twice what an M1 is worth.

because its more interesting to talk about a crazy seller than a dream gun no one here can afford...that T2 has been for sale in the past....i didnt bring it up because it was brought up a year ago when it was listed and not sold then....it was not designed by Thompson and to many people not a thompson...i find it interesting

Edited by huggytree

I bought my 1928A1 right here, and it's a nice one.

It really depends on how you go about buying. Most nice guns trade hands without going through commercial channels like Gunbroker or the big dealers. Not all, Ive seen some nice guns in those avenues however I see more nice guns trade hands in other places.

What makes you think the seller is crazy? His posts here seem coherent and while I've heard a good story or two about an incident I missed, certainly not crazy. What makes you think there are not a number of people here that can't afford it? I know for a fact a good number can swing it and as mentioned by Ron when it does sell it likely will not be a big public ordeal, but a low key private transaction......unless of course you buy it....LOL.

The vast majority of MG owners would be described as discreet, bordering on clandestine......then along came the internet. Everyone secretly enjoys watching that guy drive around the RR crossing gate, especially if he just passed you as the gates were coming down. I can't even count the number of guys on Subguns that got hit by the train over the years? None of them were ever collectors.

i was talking about the crazy thompson owner with a m1 for $45k with wild stories or removing paint off the gun and having a brand new finish underneath

not talking about the $35k colt or T2 gun

Edited by huggytree

• 2 weeks later...

i was talking about the crazy thompson owner with a m1 for $45k with wild stories or removing paint off the gun and having a brand new finish underneath

not talking about the $35k colt or T2 gun

That seller said he had examined 1000s personally and knew this one to be unfired. SOunds too good to be true!!

Witness mark identifies the correct position of the barrel relative to the receiver for the front and rear sights to properly align should the barrel with front sight be removed and the same barrel be reassembled. If a new barrel is assembled, then the sight alignment must be addressed by other means and the old witness mark on the receiver can be used to set the new witness mark on the new barrel.

Most witness marks are made after installation of a part, unless, like a Garand or 03, the barrel has to be clocked for th efront sight to line up with the rear sight.

In this case if the witness mark is, truly at the 1 o' clock position, the barrel has been removed and possibly another installed, with the Cutts Comp changed in position on the barrel. The Front sight should be 90 degrees from a factory witness mark.