What's up with the "x" on the SN?

Since the original nomenclature has not been altered like the normal 1928AC Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport (AOB), I would not be so fast as to classify this Thompson as one commercially sold to law enforcement organizations in the 1940s. Also, the frame does not match the receiver and is from Savage Arms, something I believe George Goll would have frowned on as president of the Auto-Ordnance Division.

There are original military Thompson guns with an X added to the serial number. A Freedom of Information Act request could answer many questions.

It appears to me that the whole upper has been refinished. The barrel and comp should be blued on an original finish gun, and they are not. Also, the Lyman sight has the same uniform finish as the receiver. The receiver may also have been buffed, as it appears too smooth, unlike the trigger frame. I have not examined many AO receivers, but I doubt they would lack any machining marks.

I agree with Tom that the mismatched trigger frame is unlikely if this was a law enforcement 1940's gun. Not impossible, as some departments with multiple guns did not always worry about keeping things together, but unlikely.

All of that said, I agree with Rimcrew that I am surprised it has not sold at that price. Even if refinished, it is still a WWII gun, and it comes with at least one WWII L-drum.

9 year-old thread on the mysterious A.O. "X" stamping.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13815&hl=1928ac&do=findComment&comment=114295

U.S. that was ground off MODEL 1928 A with overstamped C with X after serial number,

U.S. that was ground off MODEL 1928A with overstamped C with no X after serial number

U.S. MODEL 1928 A1 with X after serial number

U.S. intact MODEL 1928 A with overstamped C with X after serial number (lower 80,000 serial number than the 150,000 to 160,000 upper X range) )

X prefix on both matching serial number receiver and frame

X prefix only on receiver

Big "X", Little "X", no "X"

post-110-0-23789600-1596129054_thumb.jpgpost-110-0-20403600-1596129063_thumb.jpgpost-110-0-06740500-1596129073_thumb.jpgpost-110-0-61649100-1596129122_thumb.jpgpost-110-0-87182000-1596129412_thumb.jpgpost-110-0-33171000-1596131225_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arthur Fliegenheimer

It appears to me that the whole upper has been refinished. The barrel and comp should be blued on an original finish gun, and they are not. Also, the Lyman sight has the same uniform finish as the receiver. The receiver may also have been buffed, as it appears too smooth, unlike the trigger frame.

Bridgeport AC guns were usually Dulite finished and no heavy machine marks, may be original upper as it left AOC, or redone as you said.

9 year-old thread on the mysterious A.O. "X" stamping.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13815&hl=1928ac&do=findComment&comment=114295

U.S. that was ground off MODEL 1928 A with overstamped C with X after serial number,

U.S. that was ground off MODEL 1928A with overstamped C with no X after serial number

U.S. MODEL 1928 A1 with X after serial number

U.S. intact MODEL 1928 A with overstamped C with X after serial number (lower 80,000 serial number than the 150,000 to 160,000 upper X range) )

X prefix on both matching serial number receiver and frame

X prefix only on receiver

Big "X", Little "X", no "X"

attachicon.gif A.O. 134669 AC no X.JPGattachicon.gif A.O. 150238 big X AC.JPGattachicon.gif A.O. 150238 frame big X.JPGattachicon.gif A.O. matching X 152547 frame receiver.JPGattachicon.gif A.O. 153009 x US MODEL 1928 A!.JPGattachicon.gif A.O. 80323 C overstamp with X and U.S..JPG

Arthur,

So what is your opinion on the "X" added to end of serial number? What does it signify?

Edit Add-on Comment: I guess the post above this one that states "usually sold to law enforcement" would be the explanation for the "X." I wonder why they felt a need to add an "X?"

Robert

Edited by Robert Henley

is it possible the "X" and a number was a part of some inventory system ? If every one has a unique S/N why do this at all? If some entity adds a X + a number has the NFA registration now not been altered and does not match the NFA records as issued? Maybe I am missing something here but if you change the number on a TSMG what happens on the next transfer? 1234 X# where before it was 1234 ? Inquiring minds want to know.

Somewhere I read that if a serial number is duplicated in the manufacturing process, the second receiver is salvaged by adding an X suffix. I can't find that in any ATF guidelines but I spoke with a fellow who had a Colt SP1 marked that way.

Bob D

I was issued a TRW M14 rifle 1512512X, TRW had manufactured receivers into Harrington and Richardson (H&R) assigned serial number block. The X was added so to avoid a duplicated serial number. The X was added 15 plus years after WW so 1960 requirement can not be assumed to be a WW2 procedure. There were duplicate Springfield Armory and Winchester M1 rifles made during WW2 that did not have a X added at WRA or SA when manufactured. This would lead me to think there was not a US Ordnance requirement during WW2 to mark duplicated serial numbers with a X. Typically a A was added at a unit or other level if there was a weapon with a duplicate serial number.

is it possible the "X" and a number was a part of some inventory system ? If every one has a unique S/N why do this at all? If some entity adds a X + a number has the NFA registration now not been altered and does not match the NFA records as issued? Maybe I am missing something here but if you change the number on a TSMG what happens on the next transfer? 1234 X# where before it was 1234 ? Inquiring minds want to know.

I think AO added the "X" to guns going to law enforcement (and registered them accordingly), but not because there were any duplicate serial numbers which I don't think was the case. It must have been just to signify a law enforcement gun, but it would be interesting to know the thinking behind this at the time.