M1 Lower On A 28 Frame?

Hello,

I was wondering will an M1/M1A1 lower work on a 28 upper? I have an original bridgeport 1928a1 gun and I would like to use a different lower to shoot with to save wear and tear on my matching original. I dont want to try sliding it on and then I cant get it back off or cause damage. Thanks for any help. I know the shape of the rear section is different, I am just concerned with functionality. Thanks, Dan

A Thompson drum would have to have it rails modified/ removed in order to be inserted in an original unmodified M1 receiver. There was an individual in Minnesota that did modify Thompson drums for use in M1 model Thompsons back in the late 1980 early 1990's.

A M1928 style magazine catch is designed to work with both drum magazines and box magazines as Dan states. A M1 style magazine catch was designed to work only with box magazines as it does not have the raised area to latch the drum magazine since M1 Thompson do not accept drum magazines.

On page 103 in American Thunder Franks states that the majoriy of those M1 and M1A! Thompson surveyed had the M1928 magazine catch installed.

Roland,

If you just want high cap mag'ing, there's a guy who goes by BustOff that puts together "monopod" super high capacity stick mags for anything. I don't have any, but by all accounts his mags are fantanstic. No need to do anything to the M1 TSMG frame.

Put a request on the Bower's Subguns NFA Discussion forum. He usually answers within a few days. He goes to lots of MG shoots so he may take a couple days to reply.

Good luck.

MP

QUOTE (Bridgeport28A1 @ Jul 14 2005, 01:56 PM)
A Thompson drum would have to have it rails modified/ removed in order to be inserted in an original unmodified M1 receiver. There was an individual in Minnesota that did modify Thompson drums for use in M1 model Thompsons back in the late 1980 early 1990's.

A M1928 style magazine catch is designed to work with both drum magazines and box magazines as Dan states. A M1 style magazine catch was designed to work only with box magazines as it does not have the raised area to latch the drum magazine since M1 Thompson do not accept drum magazines.

On page 103 in American Thunder Franks states that the majoriy of those M1 and M1A! Thompson surveyed had the M1928 magazine catch installed.

Roland the Thompsongunner HAS a 1928 upper and wants to put an M1/M1A1 lower on it.

Yes, I just want to use an M1 lower to cut down on wear and tear on original parts when I fire my gun. I have all the upper components changed out, so I would just like to save my lower too. I dont really do a whole lot of drum shooting anyway so the occasions when I want to do that, I will use my original lower. Thanks for all the help guys! Dan