Issues with new M1A1

I think just about every (which isn't a whole lot) M1 receiver nose I've seen has had the 4 marks where the grip Mount bar was staked on as a way to keep it from wiggling too much. Not sure if this was done at the Savage factory level or not.

attachicon.gif IMG_20190611_061227.jpg

I have even seen some grip mounts that the back section that goes into the receiver was slightly bent to keep movement to a minimum. Barrel bands could also be mentioned.

That being said, I would definitely follow the advice of those above and switch to a "bent" 1928/milled type which would fix the problem.

Andrew

My Savage M1 does not have these marks.... But it definitely does have the riveted handguard mount, so is loose. I just am afraid to ship my one and only (holy grail) machinegun for fear of damage or loss... I know there are safe ways to ship, but it still scares me. I'll eventually get it fixed.

I will say that the Waffenmeister grip mount bars do tend to be more loose than any original ones. I've tried them on my display gun before using an original riveted type ( with grind marks).

Andrew

http://waffenmeisters.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=71_80&product_id=254

I just bought one of these when the retaining tab that goes under the rear edge of the barrel broke off on my M1.

It's not original and not marked with a manufacturer's code but my original wasn't marked either

IT TAKES SPECIAL TOOLS TO PULL THE BARREL and replace the mounting bar. Do not try to mickey Mouse it, you can ruin the gun

Mickey Mouse, no way; use a "BIG" pipe wrench, Crusty old vice, and a torch to heat it up. The redder the better and it will come off with no problem :D :lol: :D

I will say that the Waffenmeister grip mount bars do tend to be more loose than any original ones. I've tried them on my display gun before using an original riveted type ( with grind marks).

Andrew

On my Savage M1 the Waffenmeister bar had to be persuaded into place with a brass hammer so YMMV.