Another Amnesty?

This may be just an urban legend, but a friend of mine heard from his friend that another machinegun amnesty is being considered. I told him I would check with you guys. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif Anyone else hear of this?

it will not be what people are thinking.ww2 vet stuff which most is out already,and the rest will be viet-nam issue............not many thompsons came back from nam...and it will be watched closely if it ever happen's[fat chance}

alot of dealers and collector's are figuring another 100,000 guns to hit the market....it will be alot less then they think if it does happen...and no stolen military hidden stuff will be allowed...and i heard some dates will have to be proven in some form of writing from the vet..when oversea's.when back to the states,the situation how it was acquired,ya-da ya-da ya-da...

did you expect them to make this easy??

so don't anybody have the hopes up of 500.00 m-16's to be on the market soon or cheepy ak-47 bringbacks and soviet svd's.ppsh-41's.mat-49's even mp-40's....

because as you know if and big "IF" gun greed will set in and price war's of whats it worth to you???

do you not think the people who do have these items have not been thinking about prices all those years...........

or some dum vet in a cave who has 20 ak's...and says wow wee ma!!

we can now save the farm sell them ak's for 500.00 each..we is reech!!!give me a john stossel break!!

to all vets when this happens:good luck...

for me my bringback ak went in 1974 for $500.00....and my pair of sks' for $300.00..good time's..fond memories..and heck for me that was alot of money then..wink! take care,ron

I don't know. The original Amnesty just didn't last as long as it should have. Wasn't it 30 or 60 days? I can't recall. Anyway, it is my belief IF there were to be another, the market would be flooded with Thompsons/MP40's/1917 Brownings/BARs/ ect. Keep in mind, A LOT of this stuff made it back, and only a small amount registered. It would be quit something to see. Not everybody was aware back then about the Amnesty. Whether or not this will happen, is anybody's guess. We all live in hopes. There was a lot of information on this last year on the Sturmgewehr board. Made for some good, wishfull reading. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

I was thinking that there may be a lot of stuff come in that missed the first amnesty. This time, we have the internet, so the blessed event won't be a secretive.

Back in the 70's I was told by an FBI agent that even before the '68 amnesty most of the WWII guns were turned in anonomously to local police and FBI by parents who were concerned about kids their children were associating with. ("Not my Johnny, it's the neighbor kid Billy who's the troublemaker.")

Realistically, there are probably more Thompsons on form 10's at police departments than there are unregistered Thompsons in the hands of private citizens. Freeing up the pd form 10 Thompsons for transfer would be a real boon to the market.

MHO

QUOTE (PATHFINDER @ Sep 20 2004, 07:44 AM)
QUOTE (colt21a @ Sep 20 2004, 12:43 AM)
yep we all have those dream's...somehow they get dashed among the rock's..and washed out to the sea of futility!!

Sorta' like our dream the AWB sunsetting and cheap 'L' drums being on the market again?

that was a small bit of law that sunsetted nothing like a all out amnesty or change of 1986 law.....

one thing you can be guaranteed in life. gun law change and more of it...and not sometimes in the best of favor!!!

some small things happen.the really big one's we sometimes lose....we won a battle with that sunset, not the entire WAR. take care,ron

Another amnesty!

In 1968, we were given 30 of the 90 days congress authorized. Small posters were placed in some federal buildings and U.S. Post office installations around the country. I still have one. Few people who had unregistered/war trophy class 3 items were willing to trust Uncle Sam. Most thought it was a trick and ignored the opportunity. The majority of items registered during the 30 day period were PD/local government owned guns. The rest of the remaining amnesty - "never happen!" Butttttt..... I hope I'm wrong - I did keep a good list of unregistered PD guns..

My 02.

Greg Fox

Now I didn't see the details of the original amnesty, but wasn't it supposed to happen every 30 years? I heard that it was, but have never seen or heard the details. Any input on that? Was this just bullshit from somebody?