The Journey Begins, wanting to purchase a WW2 era Thompson

I'm officially in the marketplace. Looking to purchase a WW2 era Thompson. Leaning towards 1928A1 model. You guys are the experts. Please provide some direction. I want something fairly original but realize from reading "American Thunder" that mismatching frame and receivers are common, Ordnance depots replaced sights, etc. I don't want a tube gun or a reweld. Gun will be put in my safe to share with a few friends and probably go to the range once a year with my family or close friends.

I already own 2 other subguns and it took me about 6 months to a year to find the other ones I wanted at a fair and reasonable price.

I've been browsing these websites:

https://dealernfa.com/?s=Thompson

https://www.machineguncentral.com/Default.aspx

My MP40 was purchased through Rock Island Auction House but their auctions have become so popular now it seems like it's difficult to get a reasonable price anymore.

Any of you more experienced collectors want to offer any guidance?

Thanks in advance for your opinions. I'm so thankful for this forum.

Edited by imageaudio

Don't discard the idea of an M1 out-of-hand. The only real disadvantage they suffer from is the inability to use a drum. I find XXX stick mags don't get in the way of your support hand so they're a bit easier to shoot. I actually prefer the fixed peep sight of the M1/M1A1 to the ladder of the M1928 but again that's a personal preference. One big advantage of the M1 is the lack of a compensator allows you to shoot lead reloads if you choose to do so; the 28's comp gets clogged up pretty quickly if you shoot lead in it

Model 1928 because you can use a drum. Of course, if you could have two then an M1 too.

The hunt is half the fun, so enjoy. Nice Thompsons at reasonable prices don't last long, so be prepared to move quickly with the right opportunity.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Robert

Model 1928 because you can use a drum. Of course, if you could have two then an M1 too.

The hunt is half the fun, so enjoy. Nice Thompsons at reasonable prices don't last long, so be prepared to move quickly with the right opportunity.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Robert

I wish someone would do a run of Taiwan drums modded to work with the M1A1

There are many places to keep an eye out. The one site you listed has this one https://www.machineguncentral.com/ViewDetails.aspx?p=1335--2cce4edb-c0bd-4a28-bff3-c31e4e5d093d

I have been out of the pricing game for some time so not sure if that is too high anymore, but the gun itself is rather interesting and nice.

I sure wouldn't discount a nice West Hurly like https://www.machineguncentral.com/ViewDetails.aspx?p=1938--2cc1fe09-0cbc-4900-b4a7-b9cb2514c85c. Been Diamond K'd too. Nice! They all seem to be priced about the same (the WWII's I just glanced at were within a few thousand). Toughy. Rough WWII or brand new post war. Personally, I like shooting my M1 more than my WH '28! Mainly because I am afraid I might damage the latter! It's almost too pretty to shoot.... R

Thanks for advising and sending me some links gentlemen. I do like the specs on Ruben's Model of 1928A1, S-469333 but kind of bugs me that the patent numbers seem to fade and some pretty deep scratches on the receiver. Looks like the previous owner was a little abusive. Still, since it's been refinished once, guess I could send it through the process again?

Per Haenelistklasse request, here is a pic of my MP40. (but trying to not fill the Thompson forum with an MP40 thread.)

It's a little rough and I've toyed with sending it to John Andrewski to refinish but currently it is in original condition and I'm conflicted. Could loose some value if I have it refinished but I'm the kind of guy who wants to take care of his firearms. I currently keep it well wiped with oil and put off the decision to have it refinished until another day.

It may look a little banged up but it runs like a charm! Most serial numbers match including upper and lower (has a replacement barrel) and if you know a little about the history of the MP40, the smooth sided mag well indicates a very early production model as well as the serial number in the 4000 range of 1940. So, from a historical perspective, wish this gun could tell some stories.

I welcome any thoughts regarding refinishing the MP40 or other random comments.

Back to the Thompsons. StrangeRanger mentioned needing to keep the comp clean if running lead bullets. I reload using moly coated bullets and have not seen the need to clean the compensator any more vigorously than the barrel on my competition guns. (run a PCC in 9mm) This has sparked another topic of discuss but think I will start a new thread so future readers of the form can easily find the information. I'll post as "running moly coated bullets in sub guns"

MP40_001.JPG

Thanks for advising and sending me some links gentlemen. I do like the specs on Ruben's Model of 1928A1, S-469333 but kind of bugs me that the patent numbers seem to fade and some pretty deep scratches on the receiver. Looks like the previous owner was a little abusive. Still, since it's been refinished once, guess I could send it through the process again?

Per Haenelistklasse request, here is a pic of my MP40. (but trying to not fill the Thompson forum with an MP40 thread.)

It's a little rough and I've toyed with sending it to John Andrewski to refinish but currently it is in original condition and I'm conflicted. Could loose some value if I have it refinished but I'm the kind of guy who wants to take care of his firearms. I currently keep it well wiped with oil and put off the decision to have it refinished until another day.

It may look a little banged up but it runs like a charm! Most serial numbers match including upper and lower (has a replacement barrel) and if you know a little about the history of the MP40, the smooth sided mag well indicates a very early production model as well as the serial number in the 4000 range of 1940. So, from a historical perspective, wish this gun could tell some stories.

I welcome any thoughts regarding refinishing the MP40 or other random comments.

Back to the Thompsons. StrangeRanger mentioned needing to keep the comp clean if running lead bullets. I reload using moly coated bullets and have not seen the need to clean the compensator any more vigorously than the barrel on my competition guns. (run a PCC in 9mm) This has sparked another topic of discuss but think I will start a new thread so future readers of the form can easily find the information. I'll post as "running moly coated bullets in sub guns"

The MP40 looks sweet i would keep it as is. Just my 2cents but everyone is different.

Getting back to the Thompsons...if you dont like what is out there just wait something will come along. Price wise right now is a good time to buy though. Guns have been sitting and it seems like we are in kind of a lull. i see some things listed at lower prices.

I would advise to start studying the one you see out there available. decide if you want original finish? matching numbers? police gun? military gun?

youve got it down to a 1928...thats a good a start

most of the guns are over priced by up to $5,000...most/many are refinished....some are post war builds with mismatch parts.

you want to read all the books, this isnt a Uzi or Mac...you cant find the perfect one in a week or a month...for most its a 6+ month search. Right now there are a few in the market which is better than much of the time when there is 1 or less.

ive seen m1a1's for as low as $19k recently that didnt look that bad. Forum member has a beauty a few posts above that i think was $21,000

if your willing to accept a refinish then be careful of pitting...many have this(there's a reason its refinished)

most guns have a couple mixed up parts....if its just a grip you swap out or something simple dont let it get away over it.

post what you find for feedback here

remember pricing right now is rock bottom on most subguns. The Thompson market is flat or down- youve picked a good time to look

Edited by huggytree

This one from Ruben looks pretty good:

https://www.machineguncentral.com/ViewDetails.aspx?p=679--3feabc3a-1761-4531-84b0-bcbeb4294e6d

Model of 1928A1, S-469333

I do wonder if the rear sight has been upgraded in the past. What am I missing?

Tom,

I agree with you, the sights on that serial number range of Savage guns would likely be the simplified L sight.

https://www.machineguncentral.com/ViewDetails.aspx?p=679--3feabc3a-1761-4531-84b0-bcbeb4294e6d

if its original finish i think this is very nice for the price...it looks too polished to me....as for the scratches?? if you want a 1928 a1 and want a clean gun then you dont want a A1!!!...most true war guns have decent finish loss...you may want a police gun

war guns and scratches go hand in hand

I would leave your MP40 as it is. Yes, you have bluing loss, but it is honest bluing loss. You will definitely lower the value if you refinish it, plus spend money doing so.

Tom,

I agree with you, the sights on that serial number range of Savage guns would likely be the simplified L sight.

I wonder if Tom was referring to the hole in the front of the sight base spring tunnel.

Does anyone have an original Lyman with that hole? (I don't)

At least, they used a good quality vice grip to hold the sight.

Tom,

I wonder if Tom was referring to the hole in the front of the sight base spring tunnel.

Does anyone have an original Lyman with that hole? (I don't)

At least, they used a good quality vice grip to hold the sight.

Nice catch on the sight.

Sadly, I would skip S-469333 for now as there are too many questions and wait for another one with upfront to less to worry about. It also appears to possibly be missing a buffer disk.

Speeddemon02,

Where in the photos does it show a missing buffer disk?

First two pics show the pilot extending too far out. Probably assembled wrong - I have done that. The buffer is there in the disassembled views.

Not an issue to worry about.

“........I wonder if Tom was referring to the hole in the front of the sight base spring tunnel.
Does anyone have an original Lyman with that hole? (I don't)”

Yes. I have spares with and without a hole as well as an example with a small rectangular block at the end wall of tunnel boss that is less than half the height of the tunnel boss which is h same as the Colt sight mounts. There is a small hole above the block. The hole allows a small pin or drift to be
inserted into the tunnel to drive out a rusted plunger and spring and to lube theplunger and spring.
The hole in the rear of the tunnel of the pictured gun appears to me to have been enlarged. I have had to drift out the plungeron the Lyman sights of several guns for prepping for rebluing and also have drilled a hole in the rear wall of the tunnel to drift out frozen plunger with the sight off the receiver on at least one gun. FWIW

Edited by Black River Militaria CII

“........I wonder if Tom was referring to the hole in the front of the sight base spring tunnel.

Does anyone have an original Lyman with that hole? (I don't)”

Yes. I have spares with and without a hole as well as an example with a small rectangular block at the end wall of tunnel boss

that is less than half the height of the tunnel boss. There is a small hole above the block. The hole allows a small pin or drift to be

inserted into the tunnel to drive out a rusted plunger and spring and to lube theplunger and spring.

The hole in the rear of the tunnel of the pictured gun appears to me to have been enlarged. I have had to drift out the plunger

on the Lyman sights of several guns for prepping for rebluing and also have drilled a hole in the rear wall of the

tunnel to drift out frozen plunger with the sight off the receiver on at least one gun. FWIW

Black River Militaria CII,

Interesting, never saw that before. Are you saying the hole was factory applied or drilled merely to drift out a frozen plunger and spring by an owner or gunsmith?