New Mfg Thompson Vertical Grips (Be wary of repro!)

I purchased two of Dan's fine 1921 pattern front vertical grips some time back, fantastic, shape and depth of color superb. I think its a good time on this thread to post a few pics of Dan's wood on your guns boys.

There is no reason I can think of to purchase the grip in the eBay auction. If you want a great set of Thompson wood, get with Dan Block (Deerslayer). He's a well known and respected member, and has attended multiple TATA Show and Shoots at Tracie's in Ohio. He's an all around good guy, and has a passion for the Thompson and other WWII and earlier weapons, and does a great service to our community. He shares the history and teaches safety using his collection during shoots with high school students in Iowa. That doesn't happen much anymore, and I applaud him for his efforts in this regard. He also helps the semi-automatic Thompson crowd with many of their needs. The wood he did for TD's WH 1928 is beautiful. I also had a set he made that I sold to another member a few years ago, and it too, was beautiful.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• Upvote 1

The main reason not to buy is the tool marks on them from the cnc maching. Curious if any will be sold.

Its a $25-45,000 historical gun. To me nothing short of the real deal is acceptable. Its not like these guns are shot weekly. Ill bet many here shoot theirs 2-3x a year. That's what I do.

My original wood doesn't get damaged. I'm

Careful. I don't toss it in the bed of my pickup. For resale original wood will get you a better return.

If you've got a wh gun and want a front grip what's wrong with the $40 repro? No one but a Thompson geek will know the difference.

Curious what the market is for our friend from Italy. If people know what they are getting who cares

Edited by huggytree

Ok. Call me what you like. :)

I decided to buy one of the vertical Savage style grips from Italy and report back. I just had to see and handle one.

I'll have to post some pictures later, but price aside (I don't think they are cheap to make given the material, but then again I don't know the cost to make them) it is really pretty amazing.

I didn't ever know/think that 3d printing could have so much accurate detail. I really wasn't expecting it to look as good as it does. If you look at the grip mount portion it is obvious that it is not an original, but it is amazing how good it looks and feels.

Interesting to say the least.

Andrew

It is actually 3d printed with some kind of printable wood fiber. It is visible on the top by the grip mount channel, but much less so on the bottom by the screw hole. I was really blown away by how good it looks when I opened the box. And it only took 4 days to arrive.

And to be clear, I am not posting the review on the sellers behalf. Just thought others might like to know. And like I said, I'll try to get a few pictures posted tonight.

Makes you think about the possibilities with the material used. A weather proof stock set for maybe hog hunting with a Thompson? But then again it would be quite a bit more expensive than real wood.

Andrew

Hope you enjoy the plastic grip.

Edited by Mike Hammer

Hope you enjoy the plastic grip.

Yeah, until I can find a nice original for my collection, this one will be fine in my display (I will eventually get a full set from deerslayer). And also, as I don't live in a state that allows me to own a real FA Thompson, it is just to look at anyway :)

Andrew

If in the future, you need another one, I used an India one and reworked it to come close to mimicking my Colt, for a Lebman project I did. ( front is bobbed off purposely )

Down side, is you have to be into woodworking, have the sanding, staining etc equipment and lots & lots of time. The grain can be off too.

If you screw it up, you're screwed. Usually they run about $30-35 clams delivered.

You can judge here. Or as I've indicated, have Block do one correct, for about 15 bucks more. Just a FYI on the subject-

OCM

DSCN7926.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

he states in his listing it is made from some plastic fibrous material....that's too bad because they look great. I have a complete set from Dan block....and they are exquisite.