problems with my Kahr semi-auto

I acquired a Tommy Gun a few years ago as a fun gun to shoot. I have experienced numerous issues with it. It was doubling which required a quick trip to the factory. The firing pin was punching clear through the primers, it experienced numerous failure to feed, (drum magazine) not going all the way into battery and the sight fell off. The factory replaced the sight but they repositioned it further forward, (the screw holes were apparently stripped) so now the sight covers a portion of the name on the receiver. (Cheesy) I have had consistent problems with the bolt staying half back on the last shot after emptying a magazine. When this happens, it is extremely difficult to release. On my last outing, it again locked back half way and is seized tight. Brute force will not budge the bolt. The safety is seized in the safe position and I can not field strip the firearm. I think the safety needs to be off to disassemble it. This firearm is really beginning to frustrate me. Any suggestions on how to disassemble it and get it back to working order would be appreciated.

Straight back to kahr, ask for a new one, then send it to me to slink it up.

You shouldn't have to pay me to get it apart, though I am intrigued by what's got it stuck. Maybe the pawl is jammed up. Does the trigger move? If the grip screw goes to far up into the trigger area that can jam parts also.

• Upvote 1

I second Dan's advice. Kahr should make it right. In addition, there are many subtle problems that Kahr will not address which Dan can spot, since he is experienced with the myriad of machining flaws that come with these guns off the line. Knowing where Kahr makes shortcuts is more than half the battle. Mine once broke a firing pin, and Dan identified and internal step which placed a side load on the firing pin as it move forward. After many cycles, fatigue from impact would take its toll and snap off the pin.

The rear sight on my rifle was replaced with an original Lyman sight from a WWII lend lease Thompson from Russia, and the screws were abandoned in favor of iron rivets in my shop. Yeah, it's like putting a diamond on a pig, but mine was a project gun, and had as many improvements made to it as the rifle originally cost.

• Upvote 1

one thing i never ever do is use the safety. i pull the mag and make sure the chamber is empty. the first page in the khar manual has a warning in big red letter about the safety id send it to dan id rather pay some to fix it right it doesent seem as if kahr care about their quality just my two cents btw i own 4 of them all of them run like a top

You would think that Kahr being a US based company would make a next to perfect product, but all the things I have read about it makes me wonder why would you want to deliver such low quality product to there customers. You would think they would like to read this board and see all the people that have had issues with there guns. I am ashamed that they are even an American based company who puts the "Made in the U.S.A." on such junk. I own a West Hurley 1927 A1 that I had Dan convert a Savage lower for me and it is awesome. I have not fired it yet as I need to get the lettering re-done as someone decided to modify it to accept AR-15 internals so I had Dan convert it to accept Kahr internals, but Dan's work is by far what Kahr should have been or should be today.

Edited by mbc230

I believe I've read here that the Semi-Thompson wouldn't be approved by the BATF today because it doesn't meet certain safety requirements,

One of which was, if the firing-pin jammed outward, the gun has to lock up on the next round (and not go full-auto)

That there were some engineering challenges left "unmet" (compromises) just to get the Semi out to the public.

That said, they've had 40 years to get it right!

My A-O West Hurley works very well.

Well...the barrel unscrewed. And the sight fell off... And... ...Phil

The factory replaced the sight but they repositioned it further forward, (the screw holes were apparently stripped) so now the sight covers a portion of the name on the receiver. (Cheesy)

That would have been a deal breaker for me, unacceptable doesn't begin to describe it. Fix it right or send me a new one. Can't believe they did that. THEY (Kahr) need to make it right. Then have Dan tune it.

Seems like about 15 years ago there was an actual effort on their part (Kahr) to get this semi thing right, there were many improvements made. Now I see photos of new ones with the front grip hanger seemingly bent downward away from the barrel and we are back to the giant cheese grater knob on top. Just a shame.