Thompson Barrel

Hello,

I'm looking at a Thompson barrel that is smooth, without fins and is threaded on the end. I assume that the threads are for a Cutts compensator. The barrel end has a notch in it where the pin went through the compensator and sight blade. I see a faint rounded "S" stamped on the barrel close to where it threads into the receiver. Is this a 1928 or 1928 A1 barrel and can it be used on an M1 or M1A1 replica to get the look of the Cutts compensator on the barrel? Thank you again.

Joe

Yup, a '28 barrel from a later war gun. If it has a pin notch it is probably a takeoff barrel from a parts kit and it has a small round "s" for Savage, who made the barrel.

it is a wartime surplus barrel. Could have other marks too, like a parallel witness line or a "P", maybe just a small center punch mark?

I'd recommend selling it to someone with a gun who can use it and buy a repop barrel for your non-gun project.

Threads are the same and will screw right onto an M1 or M1A1 receiver but the receiver on the 28 is different so it won't look original.

If you want to use it I might have a spare comp I'd sell you, just let me know.

If you're near me I have the wrench you'd need to screw it on with too.

Btw, welcome to the boards!

John

andefamREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com

Edited by john

Hello,

Thanks for the reply John and the warm welcome to this board. There is another mark on the barrel. It's a horizonal line with a "0" adjacent to the line. The rifling on it seems to be quite nice but there is some minor surface rust on the outside of the barrel. I appreciate the offer on the Cutts Comensator and will be in touch with regard to it if I decide to purchase this barrel. Have a great evening.

Joe

Looks unused but still a bit high IMHO.

Seen several new and used USGI for less but it's worth what someone will pay for it, I guess.

With Green Mountain barrels under a C-note in the white I'll pass.

M1A1bert,

That sounds like a fair price for an NOS 1928 smooth barrel. You may be able to get more, but the smooth surplus barrels are generally not as popular as the finned barrels. IIRC, Phila Ord had NIW 1928 finned barrels for $395 recently.

Roger

Hello John,

The muzzle threaded area does not have a slot for the pin, It's been some time ago but remember taking the barrel out of some sort of green wax paper with the barrel completely packed with cosmoline. Would like to sell it but want to be at a fair price...Your thoughts, thanks! BM

Thanks all for their comments!

Well, I thought with the witness mark it might be a takeoff but as new, price is good and as Roger said, might go for a bit more, depending on who needs it...more if it has a makers mark (square or rounded "s"). Edited by john

Ok, thanks everyone I know my brother has several barrels the one pictured, 1-without the muzzle threads and one with fins all I remember all came out of that wax greased paper. I don't see any take off marks anywhere on the barrel but again I'm definitely no expert on this.

Thanks again, BM

post-260700-0-28808500-1547179914_thumb.jpg

The wrapping you described is correct for NIW barrels. If your brother has the smooth without threaded muzzle (M1) barrel, and finned with threaded muzzle (majority of 1928s) that came out of similar wrapping, they should all be NOS WWII barrels. They are likely are all marked with the round S or square S. This one has the square S meaning it was made by Stevens. The round S is Savage.

Well, thought the witness (or "index line") is added after the barrel is torqued onto the receiver, then that is added with a tap to a cold chisel to show movement after installation, if that might occur.

I have a couple new Savage barrels and a Stevens (all three never unstalled and all three '28 barrels with threaded muzzles) and none have any marks other than the "s".

I also have a P.O.S. Barrel as mnshooter has....these P.O.S. barrels may have secretly been made by Kahr to flood the market with pieces of S---!!!

(Joking!!)

Edited by john

Most guns Ive seen with the P and O marks, as well as the dot I have seen along with a short line on the top of the receiver (noon), as opposed to the witness line in the starboard side of the receiver at 3 o' click.

Can someone with more knowledge clear this up?