West Hurley "C" Drum Numbers?

I am trying to determine approximately how many of the West Hurley C drums were produced. The best way I know is to find the highest number on the drums. For those of you who own these drums, please provide me with the serial number. Feel free to PM me if you want to maintain privacy. I will not share the information without your permission.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Roger

Merle B. has recorded all the serial numbers of the WH C drums that he has worked on over the years, he may be a source of information regarding the highest number that he has seen.

MH

Mike,

Thanks. I spoke with Merle, and he said he does not have a list of the serial numbers he worked on. Unfortunately, Merle has just shut down emotionally and doesn't really want to think or talk about all of the wonderful Thompson work he did over the years. Maybe some day we will find his list.

So far the top number is 2314. Can anyone top that?

Roger

I have #2218 Merle did his spring work on and returned with a Nickel rotor. Although I didn't ask for the rotor upgrade he did it out of kindness and seemed pleased I was so happy with it. Super nice guy when I talked to him years ago.

Edited by Motorcar

I have number 0374. Purchased this West Hurley C drum when they first came out. Out of the box it didn't function well at all. Sent it to Merle and he added reinforcements to the inside of the rotor arms and changed out the spring. Drum functioned perfectly.

Merle called me a few months after he initially worked on it and had me send the drum back to him so he could install an upgraded rotor spring. He said he had been loaned an original Colt C drum and was able to "study" it. He said he had upgraded his rotor springs to match the original spring tension. Rotor is still blue.

Lyn

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Merle certainly did beautiful work. He is a great craftsman and person, and he always produced a quality product. Love his nickel rotors. Certainly adds style to a C-drum.

Unless I hear from someone else, the highest reported number is 2314. Therefore, I am guessing that Numrich probably had 2400-2500 made in their initial run. The combination of poor quality and the Assault Weapons Ban in 1994 pretty much doomed any future runs by Numrich, that is until their latest GPC offering.

Again, Thanks!

Roger

Speaking of GPC from Numrich. Has anyone run that in their Thompson? I was thinking of picking up some from them or from Keep Shooting.

Too bad Merle stopped working on them.. I really wanted to get one of his 22LR conversions.

• 4 weeks later...

I have 0372. I found out kinda late about Merle and he really didn’t want to work on it since the Chinese drums had recently started importing. He felt my money would be better spent on that than redoing the WH drum...actually said save for when the next mag ban comes along and sell it. :wacko:

I have #237. I do not know if it would work in a gun as the front and back rails are so far out of spec that I cannot get it to even fit in a gun. the rails on the drum just do not line up with the slots in the receiver. go figure how it even left the factory like that.

Edited by DLansky

Speaking of GPC from Numrich. Has anyone run that in their Thompson? I was thinking of picking up some from them or from Keep Shooting.

Too bad Merle stopped working on them.. I really wanted to get one of his 22LR conversions.

I bought a GPC C drum last fall based on some good feedback and it would not even begin to fit into the rail slots on my Colt Thompson.

Sent it back for a full refund.

Dave,

Misaligned faceplates and/or out-of-spec rails are well-known problems with the West Hurley drums, both C and L. The problem is, you never know whether you will get a good one or a bid one.

Unfortunately, there are also sometimes issues with later Kahr C drums and it is looking like now the later Taiwan C drums.