Weekend Gun Show

I just returned from a 2500 table gun show that is being held in Harrisburg, PA.

They had 2 Thompson's a colt 1928 overstamp and a Savage. The Colt had about a 80% finish with an asking price of $15,000, the Savage had a tag of $9,500.

Found several xxx mags. ranging from 17.95 to as high as $25 each and 2 xx dated mags. for $100.00. One dealer had an L drum AO manufacture for $750. Allegedly NIB. I didn't buy anything all of the prices were a little on the high side compared to local sporting goods shops.

But all in all it was a good experience. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jack--

That sounded like an awful good deal on the Savage. Must have been the M1A1, but I've seen them go for a lot more lately.

Hawk,

I didn't get a close look at the Savage, the place was like a sardine can.

I picked up the Colt though, the surface looked like it had rust, and was fairly wet with oil.

The selector switches looked like Savage ones to me (smooth). I would have loved to field stripped it to see what parts were inside.

Seeing that both guns are far above my means, I strolled on. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Sure The name is :

Dennis A. Todd

Law Enforcement and Collector

Auto Weapons and Destructive Devices

FFL Class 1, 3, 10

239 Baltimore Pike

Springfield, PA 19064

610-543-7300

Fax 610-543-7909

email DToddMG@aol.com

The Colt had gobs of oil on it and appeared to have surface rust on the receiver.

Also it appeared to have Savage selector switches. No Knurling!

Due to the crowd I wasn't able to speak directly with the vendor or look at the internals.

Good Luck, & Safe Shooting

Jack Ardrey "Grey Crow"

sound's like two run of the mill thompson's to me,that would appear at local show's>nothing special........and at that price another nothing special................

$25,00.00 for another pair of tommee's.................whoa!!! let me start writin the check..................maybe next year with "Thompson Greed" they will be going for $50,000.00 so somebody here better snap them up right away...........

devine auction here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woink!!

thompson lover's...............

only in america.................... take it easy grey crow.......enjoy!! Ron

I'm sure he'll have both those at the creek next week. I'll see if he raises the prices on them by, oh let's say, $4k each. I watched a G.I. BAR at a show here in Indy. Dennis told me his price on it was $15.5K. Half hour later as I walked by just glancing at it, his wife told me it was $17K, and a deal at that!. On my way out I walked by and the guy that works for them told me the gun was $13K and could work on that. So let's see what it does in Kentucky.

I agree! At one stand I was grazing through a few boxes of assorted parts, (none were priced) I asked and herd one guy tell the other that the used extractors were 20 ea. and when he came back to me he said 15 ea. I passed knowing that new they sell for 9.50.

Then they tried to tell me that L drums had no dates on them!

Umm, Yeah, Right!

I guess they thought I came down in last nights rain fall...... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

I laughed at that anecdote on prices. It sounds like the sleazoid, lying B.S. I see at every gun show, including one I'm headed to today in N.W. Ohio. With so many nice guys in this hobby, I don't understand what it is that brings out the slime in so many people when they sit down behind their table at a gun show.

Hey wait one second!!! Have you ever been behind the table!! It goes both ways believe me... If you don't like wheelin and dealing, then stay out of the shows.... How do you think we feel when people ask for the best cash price as they stand there... you give it to them, and then they ask if you'll take less.... Uh noooo.... you just ask for me for the best price remember? I love those people when they come back and go yeah I'll take if for the your best I guess... Then you get to drop the hammer.. buzzzzz Sorry that was while you were at the table.... back to full price.... I can't tell you how many times I've had buyers tell me stuff is crap, or not marked correctly trying to beat down my prices.... Just know most dealers would love to price everything at the real selling price, but due to cheap ass buyers beating on them everytime, you have to mark it up as a defensive measure.....

I've never ever haggled a car price... I will not do it... I ask the price, if it is right I say yes, if not I say no.... It pisses off some salesman but I refuse to play the game, as I know I will lose.... If I hear how much can you pay a month I'm outa there.... If they give me a price and I say no, then they lower it, even if it is my price I was willing to pay, I'm outa there.... Just me and buying cars....

Now guns is a whole other matter.... I argue price all day long on guns selling or buying... But that is not the point Art... The point is that it does not make me a sleaZebag..... It's just gun dealing...

I can't believe I am going to say this, but I agree with Arthur. Henry Ford once said that 'The best price is not what the market will bear, but what price you can CONSISTANTLY sell things for'. Check Class III web sites. You see the same guns for sale month after month. Sometimes year after year. The only ones I read about people actually buying are always 'great deals' far under the 'market'. Well I will tell you what, those guns at those amazingly low prices ARE the market. Those prices are what Thompsons are being SOLD for (not priced at). If a dealer wants to write a price 25% above market on his guns *&^$@'em, let him sit on it. When he runs out of money (and they always do) tell him that $30,000 Thompson will taste great if he toasts it lightly and butters it on one side. If prices were lowered across the boards we ALL would be buying more FAs and the dealers would be making more sales and thus more profit. EVERYONE is happy and not just the dealers. Thompson greed is only a theory (until you validate it by purchasing at the artificially inflated price). Mark your prices at what you want and do not haggle. That IS the price. Guns or cars. But remember: Stop trying to retire on the proceeds from one sale. I was a dealer for awhile and it annoyed the hell out of other dealers that I constantly under sold then by 20-30%. I made it up on volume, like Ford did. There are economic theories (like Adam Smith) that say 'Every man for himself' but Smith has been revised gents, as well as the Darwinian theories he based his ideas on in the first place.

As for dealers running out of money, I have seen their bankruptcy papers you would be suprised at what the value their stock at then!! If they say then “It is worth $30,000 the court tells them ‘OK, sell it for that’. They know they can’t. Then they want to follow Henry Ford’s theory!!

Right on Phil,...you are not alone...I find those table sleazoids don`t last too long ...and never get my business. It seems that it`s gone from `wheelin`& dealin`..to `skewin`& screwin`..sort of like` thompson greed`...I know it is buyer beware,but instead being aware of the product,maybe we should beware of the sleezoid who`s selling instead.my .02,out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

It's a thankless job being the contrarian and resident nihilist, but I sense the despair about flim flam artists at gun shows. On every occasion I scan the tables for items of interest, I am never dissapointed in being the recipient of a fable to go along with the merchandise. One seller told me that he got this Butch Vallotton knife from a Vietnam vet who carried the knife with him in Hue. When I mentioned that Vallotton didn't make auto folders until 1982, the guy meant that he took it with him when he went back to Nam in the 1980's....Gun show sellers got nothing on used car salesmen when it comes to disembling.

Phil now I am mad!! You just made me feel OOOOOLLD!

Following the rules will keep this hobby going. We all need to police our own. Ever notice it is sleezoid 'out the door' types who bitch the loudest when the 'anti gun' lobby starts barking? "Why we ain't doin' nuthin' but exercizin' our consitutionel rights." That is the same as the people bitchen' about how bad their neighborhood is getting when it's their own family selling the dope to the school kids.

Don't let em' pee in the pool AND complain because it gets warm. Turn the law breaking b*&%ards in. Either to the show promoter or to law enforcement. The sleezoid can complain about his unfair arrest and conviction to his new boyfriend for the next 20 or so years.

Chris

yep!!think how jaded you become after doing show's for 33 year's...........and the many tale's..........i kinda forget the lie's...................since its about every third story out of somebodies mouth..................

so now it's enjoy life................{as if i didn't already!!}

glad to be left with one Colt thompson..................

and if i ever see the dealer trade sample 1928a1..........

[that will be a blessing]

maybe some day we will all grow up..............until then,we will just pass the time,and history to those that survive us.............and hope they can do a better job.....for the next crew!!!wink!!

peace...Ron

I know Dennis, he lives right near me, and if I was hauling all that shit all over the country like he does I would absolutely raise the prices, gas, tolls, hotels, tables at the gun shows etc are not cheap.. I'm sure he has a lot of money tied up in his stuff and isn't going to let it go to make only a few dollars profit..

There is a computer show around my area and if you want one little section to sell you wares you have to pony up $1300!! I'm sure a table at Knob Creek cost more then that.

I'm not really sure what is going on with the world these days, we have parts in our computer store that are clearly marked and people ALWAYS ask if they can get it for less then what it's marked??? I never ask for a discount on anything.. If I feel the price is too high I just don't buy it.

How come people don't haggle with the gas station guy when getting fuel? That is clearly the biggest rip off going on right now. Sorry for the ranting, I just hate when people ask for discounts, it really pisses me off.. If you don't like the asking price, then go else where. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

If the only way to make profit on the road is outrageous prices perhaps they should step off the road. Ya know, rethink the ol' business plan. Maybe set up a little mom and pop guns and ammo place(bricks), with web site(cliks). Cut down on needless overhead and aggrevation. Bricks and cliks they call it.

Nick, I think the biggest beef we had was the low down dealers bending rules (read as breaking laws) and then complaining about how messed up the industry is getting.

Chris

I agree Nick,

I ran a retail shop for 26 years and frequently had customers that wanted to haggle. I would simply reply "sure I'll sell at cost, are you willing to support my family for the next year?" I'll bet they could see my face turning red also. It really pissed me off.

No I didn't haggle at the show at all, but I didn't buy anything either.

We also had a yearly booth at a show for 12 years and kept the prices the same as at the shop.

Man did we make a bundle!

We made it with volume!

It can be done without gouging.

I almost always ask for discounts whenever possible. Costs nothing to ask, and costs nothing for the seller to say no. You'd be surprised at what kinds of merchants will give discounts. Almost all major retail chains will discount slightly damaged merchandise at least 10% if you ask.

Newspapers, for example, are almost always running special subscription rates that they don't necessarily advertise widely. I grab the rate for a year by paying in advance, and at the end of the year, I ask again.

I walked into a Costco with a friend last week to get him to sign up and kiddingly asked if they had a finder's fee. They said, as a matter of fact we do, we'll add one month to your membership for free right now.

Long distance telephone service is another place to ask for discounts. I use to ask Sprint to match whatever the latest offer I had received was. The first time they refused to match, I switched to a less expensive service.

When I buy a new automobile, I always deal only with the fleet manager. I tell him what I want and what I am willing to pay (based on research of course, and usually it's something like $600.00 over real cost to dealer - including dealer holdbacks, etc.), and my offer is usually accepted. No bullshit games, no dealer prep fees, no undercoating no ScotchGuard, etc. Just sales tax on top of my offer.

I just consolidated all of my bank accounts and loans with a national bank moving into the area and which was aggresively seeking new business, and which was offering great services, great rates, with no fees or other costs - in fact, they paid me $50.00! I asked my old bank to match the terms (whom I'd done business with for 15 years), and when they refused I closed the account the next day.

I bought all of my stereo equipment locally after I had researched the best prices on the web. I came in with the web deals, and asked the local stereo store if they'd match my best prices for the whole set of equipment, and they were quite happy to.

I even got a discounted price on a JD lawn tractor, which is almost impossible to do, by calling around to different dealers until I found a demo that was virtually new. Even got one year's free financing.

I saved $300.00 on a beach house rental last November when I asked if they'd give me the low-season rate for both weeks, even though one of the two weeks was at the end of the mid-season, which is more expensive.

I saved an extra 10% on the auto rental when I asked if they had any additional discounts, and they said if you are a member of AARP, we give an extra 10% discount. (The AARP card is also good for exceptional discounts on eyeglasses, contacts, lenses, and exams.)

I just saved $75.00 a night on a Chicago hotel reservation. I called the hotel, didn't like their price, so I then called their national number, which gave me the same room for $75.00 a night less.

Every year I ask my insurance agent how I can save money on auto and house premiums.

Just today, I asked a local building supply store if they'd match the price of a competitor for some rebar I wanted to buy. They checked the competitor's price, said yes, and I got the cheaper price without having to drive across town.

And yes, even gasoline prices are negotiable if you are a big enough buyer like a municipal government. Alas, I must pay retail gas prices, though the local grocery store chains are all selling gas at the best price here right now, and all offer additional gas price discounts with use of their grocery discount card.

Never asking for a discount, means you'll always pay the listed price.

Of course everything is negotiable if you got the right juice. Why be a lay down for anything being sold at full "suggested" retail price just because in some businesses it isn't traditional for a perspective buyer to dare make a counter offer? The time is long over due for people to not only consider haggling with ther local car dealerships. How can any retailer be so thin skinned as to be insulted if someone dared make a "reasonable" offer? Nancy Reagan would have told these ultra sensative sellers to "just say no."

Some retailers only want to be order takers and not salesmen. They can only recite the fixed and firm selling price and become fractious at the thought of justifying the price.