MP40 is complete (almost)

Stamp came this week....this was a fixer upper..

Price was approx 2/3rd of what a mp40 should cost (its a German receiver, but a re manufacture)...it has always ran, but needed some refinement and tightening up....

numbers match on upper/lower/rear sights/barrel nut/barrel rings......everything else is whatever...its 100% german though, no repro parts

list of its original problems: finish worn/falling off w/ light rust starting in, mag well pin hole was redrilled larger and smashed/rusty pin was there, stock was floppy, pin holes in stock were loose (pins would fall right out), springs/pins for butt plate were missing on 1 side and broken on the other, repro barrel, front sights falling off, resting bar repro and rigged, breech pin loose in lower, breech pin hole egged in receiver, front sight over sanded, stock arms pitted and over sanded, firing pin bent and 1/2 broke off and bakelite in horrible condition...and to top it off on test firing the charging handle flew off!

gun ran well though!...thats the good news

so i found a NOS barrel, a minty bakelite, bought a parts kit and swapped the whole stock, got a newly made Bulgarian bushing from a friend and filed it down, grabbed the springs for the butt plate and with a few other tricks was able to make the stock solid as heck..it can still move about 3/4" up/down but you need to put 50lbs of effort into it moving.....i took the sights off the parts kit barrel and soldered them onto my new barrel, i stole the resting bar, swapped firing pins, got a new bolt and had the charging handle welded on, i had the loose breach pin sheet metal welded, i had the egged hole in the receiver welded ($40 for all the welding and 15 minutes!).......i cold blued it for now just to clean up the rust and make it look nicer. sold the parts kit for more than i paid to a guy that wanted it for weekend Nazi dressup on a fake gun.....i am setting up an appointment to get it hot dip blued and a new mag well pin made at the end of the month........going out to test its function again this afternoon....

OOW wanted $3000-4000 to fix this gun up ...and that didnt include the barrel and bakelite.i told them to send it back....ive got almost nothing into any of the repairs....ill have $500-600 into a reblue...

the upper to lower still has about a 3/16th wiggle....the pin hole in the receiver is so tight now you have to bang it in with your palm...im starting to guess that these are made to have some wiggle.....

ahMtimw.jpg

PtMwq7b.jpg

i7KjMNC.jpg

PHsSI2D.jpg

Edited by huggytree

in the end ill have saved $3000-$3500 if you believe OOW was being fair on their gunsmithing.....15 minutes of welding and a refinish(for which their time line was 6+ months)....my guess is $1000 per hour of their time....they were nice when i asked for my gun back though...they tacked on $50+ to my bill w/o telling me just to ship it back...$220 to ship it back...nice eh?......not the best experience there

its never going to be a high end collector gun....it will be a very nice looking shooter though when refinished in a month...its a very nice looking shooter as is right now...it functions 100%, its solid, smooth running....cold blue can only do so much though....good enough for a month until my bluing guy opens up

Edited by huggytree

The sling ring was originally mounted so that the sling was on the right side of the gun, where it doesn't foul your hand and the bolt during cocking.

I had John Andrewski work on my tube MP40 and he did an excellent job at a fair price in my opinion. My tube gun did not have a bolt safety notch and mag well was loose/wobble with pin falling out. He also worked on the bolt knob to correct push/pull issues. I told him to go through the weapon and fix anything suspect. He was very honest and did not try to up-sale me on any unnecessary repairs. The stocks usually always have a wobble and mine has a slight one. If your stock has excessive wobble, he can fix it. He can also do a new finish on your MP40 which will be period correct.

TSMGguy is correct, the sling mount was placed on the right side from the factory but some German Soldiers would change it to the left while in the field. You can decide which side you like the best, but think the right side is the best for a right handed shooter.

I have owned two tube guns, a Wilson and currently an Erp, and one of my favorite subguns to shoot. Have fun with yours and sounds like you did an awesome job with purchase price and fixing it up.

Take care,

Mac

Edited by NFA amnesty

Huggy looks real nice and also you don't have a fortune into it as a shooter.Had a posty FOR YEARS$2,000.00 into it for shooting. And when came time to sell got that back out of it.Now the shooter is a Commando 16

shoot my buddies POSTY now so cost me no outlay just the ammo.

Would like to get back into a MP-40 MP-38 again.But my last offer of $50 grand to buy a MP-38 soured that deal.And i am sure here 99% of the members would be the same.

Most are sitting on stuff they bought decades ago.so not a whole lot of dough outlay. you madea wise move on that 40 and got it fixed right on the cheap.And for a handler, fondle, shooter it does not have to be numbers match all perfect blue and erection rigid stock.

Enjoy it like life, we have only so much of it.Colt21a Ron

its off to a local gun smith/friend for a refinish in 2 weeks....im going to have him look further into tightening things up even more.....really the stock is rock solid...it moves but you need to use all your strength to budge it.....

one of the main reasons i chose to do much of the work myself is the lack of gunsmiths...i really couldnt go wrong as the gun has always ran...my efforts were just cleaning it up and tightening it up...something anyone can do...for that stock i even used the feeler gauge trick...cut 2 feeler gauges for either side of the stock button...it takes up the wiggle between the stock and the button....took 1/4" of slop out of the stock right there....they are hidden under the button and the button pin goes through the holes in the gauges....found that one online somewhere....

the parts kit was the biggie...i will never understand why the original builder used a worn out parts kit.....when they were $25-50 why get a $25 one.......as for the rust setting in on it...many guys toss these guns in a basement or in a pile somewhere.....to them its still a $300 gun.......sad for the gun as its now a $16-18k gun....but to them they paid $300 for it in 1980 so why do they care.....now ive got to clean that mess up.....lucky it is just very,very minor surface rust and not pitting....1/2 of it came off with steel wool and oil....cant do that with the inside of the tube though

my son says its his favorite of my guns....he prefers its looks even to the thompson!! (not me)

I remember my first at $500.00 bucks around 1975, #349F MP-40 Bill Rutledge in Ohio. Probably Bill is gone now but i am sure the gun sits someplace.Bought it from Roger Cox's stash at the time.When he was just starting out.

Today everything has gone just so Haywire. bought a Colt retro XM177E2 FOR $2,500.00 LAST MONTH And located the real deal to it new in box for $40,000.00 Just sold, 1974 issue, so i guess i saved $37,500.00

And some would ask how? well it is sitting in the safe just like the new in box 1974 model would. Some around here in 10 or 15 years will learn that game also.it was a heck of a ride. for many decades. And at some point we all slow down.when you travel at 180 mph the whole life, Later you want to coast at a 100 and it feels good.You did good with that MP-40 And glad the son enjoys it. Remember that design and look was way before its time.Herr Vollmer had aliens giving him pointers for sure.And Mr. K liked the stock so much he decided his AK-47 needed one also. with that little space for the hand guard.enjoy. Colt21A Ron

its off to a local gun smith/friend for a refinish in 2 weeks....im going to have him look further into tightening things up even more.....really the stock is rock solid...it moves but you need to use all your strength to budge it.....

one of the main reasons i chose to do much of the work myself is the lack of gunsmiths...i really couldnt go wrong as the gun has always ran...my efforts were just cleaning it up and tightening it up...something anyone can do...for that stock i even used the feeler gauge trick...cut 2 feeler gauges for either side of the stock button...it takes up the wiggle between the stock and the button....took 1/4" of slop out of the stock right there....they are hidden under the button and the button pin goes through the holes in the gauges....found that one online somewhere....

the parts kit was the biggie...i will never understand why the original builder used a worn out parts kit.....when they were $25-50 why get a $25 one.......as for the rust setting in on it...many guys toss these guns in a basement or in a pile somewhere.....to them its still a $300 gun.......sad for the gun as its now a $16-18k gun....but to them they paid $300 for it in 1980 so why do they care.....now ive got to clean that mess up.....lucky it is just very,very minor surface rust and not pitting....1/2 of it came off with steel wool and oil....cant do that with the inside of the tube though

my son says its his favorite of my guns....he prefers its looks even to the thompson!! (not me)

That is so awesome, love the MP40!!

• 1 month later...

Back from refinishing....needed a bit of extra work....its a remanufactured gun and the tube was not welded straight....the gunsmith did various things to improve the gun and tighten everything up...he removed almost all traces of the weld from inside and outside the gun...inside the receiver was a mess and now its like new...the gun always ran and still runs very well....gunsmith took 21 days from start to finish!!...amazing time frame....ive got $14,750 into this gun now...but everything is correct....not sure what a reweld is worth, but i hope im at least at the break even point on it.

here's a pic of my german ww2 collection....all the pistols are matching numbers and in 95%+ condition...most are 1944 as i find the late war rough finish and deleted features interesting and harder to find in great condition

eMY9ZGQ.jpg

9zXMKjV.jpg?1

Edited by huggytree

• 5 months later...
Nice ! That's a seriously cool collection. Just got an ATI MP40 pistol that I want to tart up to make it look more authentic. Was the finish on the originals a regular blue job or more like Dulite on a Thompson ? Most of the original '40's I 've seen had little or no finish on the metal.

Mp40 correct finish is hot dip blue

Im lucky to know someone here in WI who does it

Picked up a beretta 1935 97-98% recently to add to the collection. Still looking for an Astra 600. Seems to be unobtainium in strong condition

I picked up a .32 calbier Beretta at a gun show a couple years back. It is dated 1944 right on the slide and is probalby a 85%-90% gun. Shoots great. The dealer had it on his table for a couple years before I finally looked at it. He had it priced $330 so I asked what is the best you can do and he said $290 so I snatched it up at that price. I wish I could find more at that price. Luckily, I live in a place that doesn't appreciate those guns because "they ain't Murican" so living amongst the hicks has its perks I guess.

Back from refinishing....needed a bit of extra work....its a remanufactured gun and the tube was not welded straight....the gunsmith did various things to improve the gun and tighten everything up...he removed almost all traces of the weld from inside and outside the gun...inside the receiver was a mess and now its like new...the gun always ran and still runs very well....gunsmith took 21 days from start to finish!!...amazing time frame....ive got $14,750 into this gun now...but everything is correct....not sure what a reweld is worth, but i hope im at least at the break even point on it.

here's a pic of my german ww2 collection....all the pistols are matching numbers and in 95%+ condition...most are 1944 as i find the late war rough finish and deleted features interesting and harder to find in great condition

eMY9ZGQ.jpg

9zXMKjV.jpg?1

Huggy, you need to pick up a late 1944/45 Mauser P38 dual tone. Your MP40 turned out great by the way.

Edited by NFA amnesty

There is a Mauser 44 p38. Probably 98%---i find it amazing the quality it has for 1944 compared to my other 1944's..it must be early 44....the sauer is pretty darn nice too, but has the safety eliminated to save $$...

Most of my guns are 1944. Most late 44

here;s by beretta..very late 1944...i was told only a few thousand made it after mine before production stopped...pic #2 notice it looks like a hammer hit the frames serial # and the slide is turning purple, but the finish looks to be 100% original...id rate it 97%+..............interesting how a gun can be so ugly, yet correct and very little finish wear..its an odd ball for sure..might have never been fired even it looks like new inside..no holster wear...just a bit of high edge wear...its oiled up pretty good, so keep this in mind why you see it looking shiny...its rem oil

hard to keep producing berettas when your getting bombed weekly....

59J5jwp.jpg

71SymDU.jpg

Gova0DS.jpg

jI5W1Bm.jpg

Edited by huggytree

I have many collection themes.

One theme is ww2 German pistols. Focusing on 1944, but a few are earlier. 95% condition or better. Most are 97-98%. The luger is an early 1937

Ive got a few correct holsters but Im not collecting rigs, just the guns

Anyone with a Astra 600 WAa marked ? Im looking.

A French unique also . both are around, But few in good condition

Ive got somewhat of a USA ww2 era collection too.

Ive been collecting 1990 guns lately. Finding nib or lnib guns i wished I had bought in my early 20s. Im finding lots of odd/large guns that were only made for a few years

I also like higher end target guns. Buying some rare hks no longer made plus some new guns that i think will be collectors 20 years from now. Some post war Soviet pistols, Czs, etc

Variety !!! I enjoy shooting steel targets a few times a month. I shoot all my guns. Even that minty matching Luger

Edited by huggytree

There is a Mauser 44 p38. Probably 98%---i find it amazing the quality it has for 1944 compared to my other 1944's..it must be early 44....the sauer is pretty darn nice too, but has the safety eliminated to save $$...

Most of my guns are 1944. Most late 44

here;s by beretta..very late 1944...i was told only a few thousand made it after mine before production stopped...pic #2 notice it looks like a hammer hit the frames serial # and the slide is turning purple, but the finish looks to be 100% original...id rate it 97%+..............interesting how a gun can be so ugly, yet correct and very little finish wear..its an odd ball for sure..might have never been fired even it looks like new inside..no holster wear...just a bit of high edge wear...its oiled up pretty good, so keep this in mind why you see it looking shiny...its rem oil

hard to keep producing berettas when your getting bombed weekly....

59J5jwp.jpg

71SymDU.jpg

Gova0DS.jpg

jI5W1Bm.jpg

Wow! That is a really nice Beretta. It is amazing the quality they could still produce under horrible conditions. My serial number is a bit earlier than yours. Mine is Serial #552383. So maybe mine is early 44 and yours is late 44. Mine also has the plum finish and is nice but yours is nicer than mine. I would like to hear the story of how you picked it up if you don't mind. Story time is always the best time. Take care and thank you for posting, Haenelistklasse

Gunbroker. Ive got capture papers

Its obviously a reject gun in any time before 44. I havent shot it yet but seems to function. Ive never seen one with a misshaped frame have you?

Got a fair price on it. I think most are turned off by the crude frame. Its original so to me its history

Probably taken off a 12 year old Nazi who surrendered after peeing his pants

You want the Astra 600/43, the one in 9mm Luger made during WWII under German contract. Or, if pure unobtanium floats your boat, the Astra 800 Condor, which is the updated Astra 600 with some nice design changes, including a more ergonomic grip, external hammer, mag release button, relocated safety, and a far better trigger release. It also did away with the magazine trigger interlock, and added a P.38 style loaded cartridge indicator. Few were imported into the US. They do show up from time to time, but are expensive. They're really beautifully made.

Astra800Condor1.jpg

Edited by TSMGguy

There's some confusion here. You want an Astra 600/43, 9mm Parabellum, WaA stamped, serial number 10,450 or less:

http://www.tague.at/pistolen/index.htm?/pistolen/pages/en_astra600.htm

Higher serial numbers are the same gun, but won't have WaA markings. These were delivered to West Germany post-war. The Germans actually paid the Spanish for the second tranche twice, once in Reichmarks, and again post war with Bundesmarks.