Aluminium Dummy Receivers. . .

I see that a bunch of places sell them for around the same amount of money ($120 to $170, most around $150). Are there any good looking aluminum dummy receivers? In some of the photos I have seen they look really bad (really porous) , in others the photos are to fuzzy to tell.

I have a M1a1 Kit and a M1928a1 kit I want to build wall hangers out of. I wish I could have Doug Richarson Receivers on both of them, but with the wait and the money, I was thinking I would just get Phili Ordnance receivers instead. But I was thinking I can almost get both receivers in Aluminum for what the Phili '28 receiver costs.

What do you guys think?

Bernie

I am switching from aluminum to steel. Worth the wait and cost, IMO.

The aluminum ones I have use a press fit for the barrel, they are not threaded. Swapped barrel, and now my new barrel does not fit anymore. It is not a good re-enactment prop when you swing it up and the barrel falls off.

Both my 1928 and M1 dummies have Phili Ord recievers. Not DR quality, but nice. See Deerslayer's post about the one he made into a finished gun, it looks pretty good!

I am new to this forum and tompsons as well. I just got my 28a1 from the gruop buy on weaponeer. I am looking to purchase an 80% from phila to display, but my ultimate goal is to convert it to semi. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I queried Doug Richarson receivers and came up with nothing. Is it worth spending the 500$ for an 80%, can it be converted to semi? Any info greatly appreciated. Danny

Danny,

Building a semi-auto from a Phil. Ord. receiver would be a daunting task.To start,BATFE would require you to build a closed bolt firing weapon,eliminating the use of your current bolt system. Also they do not like you to build a semi receiver to the same dimensions as the original full auto,to prevent easy conversion.

My advice would be to contact PK and/or Tommygunner.com(Damon) on this board to discuss using a Kahr 1927a1 along with your 1928a1 lower,butstock,and barrel($200 and ATF Form 1 required) to create a realistic legal Tommy.This has been done before Hopefully the board members that have had this done will chime in.

Good Luck!

REISINGSTAR http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

All versions of the Kahr semi-autos use the same bolt, from what I remember...two holes for the charging handle (top and side, which hole the gun uses depends on the model you have) so I'd say that no, a Savage actuator isn't going to work. OTOH, someone here on the boards (Damon? Phil? PK? I can't remember) was making charging handles for the semi-autos that looked correct for a '28.

IMHO (and most others' humble opinions) your best bet for a semi-auto that looks correct would be to buy a semi-auto, file the Form 1, and then add the short bbl. once the Form 1 has been approved. In the end, you'll still come out cheaper than buying one of Kahr's SBR semi-autos, and much, much cheaper than trying to cobble up a semi-auto from an 80% receiver, parts kit (what few parts you'll be able to use), design trials, mill time, etc...

"Is the $200 tax a one time deal?" Yup. File it and forget it. The tax is only due by you once: upon either making or transfer. (Of course, if you later sell it as an SBR, the buyer will have to cough up for a tax stamp, just like you did when you made the SBR.)

One final caveat... before you go through the process of buying a semi-auto and a short bbl. be sure your state/local laws will allow you to possess an SBR (not all states allow them) and that even if your state/locality allows SBRs, be sure your CLEO will sign your Form 1. Without a CLEO sign-off and without your state permitting SBRs, the BATF will not approve the Form 1.

HTH

Thanks for everyones response. I think I will just buy an 80% with all the bells and whistles. In the liberal state, I'm sorry I mean The Empire state all class 3 are banned, so I will asume all Sbr's are as well. Three cheers for the reelection of Schumer and Clinton. On a serious note will I be able to mount the savage actuator on the 80%? My parts kit is all savage, would it be correct to purchase the phila 80% with the engraving and military blue? Thanks everyone for their advice. Can anyone tell me when my 28 was made NO. S439064 Danny

In the days when I used to play with dummy guns, I tried some aluminum receivers. The biggest problem for me was that the surface paint is very fragile and tended to scrape off easily. If you can, go with steel.

I think it is pretty much established that you have all kinds of legal problems in converting your Phil O. 80% receiver to be used as a semi. However, Doug Richardson used to make a semi 80% receiver, with the proper dimensions for use as a semi gun. There may be some of those still out there, so you could do some inquiries if building something from scratch appeals to you. The recommendations given here to go the semi-Kahr route is probably the most practical and economical way to achieve an authenic looking semi Thompson. I have one being built by Damon at Tommygunner, to be fitted with sbr, 28 frame, bolt hold-open modification, riveted lyman (original) and other features.

A savage actuator or no other kind of actuator will legally fit in a 80% receiver. Most peole with dummy guns have purchased the dummy screw in actuator knob, or fabricated their own. Maybe some of the board members will sell you one.

clintonlover--

Doug made the engravings optional when he sold his receivers. However, most probably, a person putting out that much money would have had the engravings done also. As you probably know, Dougs operation has been on hold for a long time, so you may have to find existing ones.

Several people on this board sell the rivets. The supplier I'm aquainted with is Damon at Tommygunner. I believe our FAQ used to list suppliers' contact info. In case you weren't aware, riveting a Thompson sight is not an easy job, unless you have the equipment. I understand they have to be pressed on.

Here is one. Looks like a phili ord... I can't see their flamimg bomb logo though. Not Doug's, they have a big "R" on the underside.

And no, it is not mine! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/AddToWatc...p?Item=37009241

Price seems to be around market value. I don't remember what they (phili ord) want new, but I know they have a wait for them.