How'd I Do ?

FUNGUN

I recently acquired this M14 for 375.00. I have researched and am a little confused as to the year, etc of the gun. Another customer is a collector and offered me A LOT more than 375 for it.

Should I just hang on to it or sell it ? Any idea of a value.

Here is some info on it:

U.S. RIFLE

7.62 MM M14SA

FED. ORD. INC.

SO. EL MONTE, CA.

C-04XX

This gun has not been cut or modified. If you need more pics please let me know.

Thank you.

post-258136-0-74343600-1334799731_thumb.jpg

post-258136-0-98927800-1334799748_thumb.jpg

post-258136-0-64415600-1334799767_thumb.jpg

Edited by FUNGUN

I'm not throwing stones, here, and this looks to be a nice piece, but you do know that this is not a USGI M14?

The following from Frank's book, "The Last Steel Warrior: US M14 Rifle":

"The Federal Ordnance Company of California began the manufacture and assembly of their M14 SA type rifles in 1988. Federal Ordnance receivers were produced by the investment casting process. The receivers were marked with the Federal Ordnance name on the receiver heel, although some were marked on the receiver leg. Orignally the rifles were assembled using original USGI parts."

Hope that this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe you could make a list of the different maker's marks on the parts of it other than the receiver. Ideally they would be from as few as possible. The H&R marked parts are often considered less desirable, I think. The others are from Win, TRW and Springfield. Winchester just used the number 66128 or something like that. Let us know.

The H&R marked parts are often considered less desirable, I think.

That's true, but there's no real reason for it, other than collector preference. Yes, TRW's manufacturing processes did lead to a arguably better, longer lasting M14, but all manufacturers were held to the same standards, and all parts were fully interchangable.

Collector preferences by manufacturer, and why:

1. TRW: Rarest, best made.

2. Winchester: No better made than the others, but a most famous and recognisable name with the lowest serial production totals.

3. Springfield: The famous government-owned arsenal that always turned out a quality product.

4. H&R: Most common. Early problems with production (solved) led to a perception that these were somehow substandard, which they were not.

(Collectors will argue endlessly about which manufacturers should be choices 2 & 3!)