my new mp40 received at dealer today/ questions

Looks like its off to Ohio Ordnance for a ''restoration''.....ive got a budget in mind....and i think its realistic...they receive the gun, assess it and give you a price

shipping it today...i was given a 4 month most likely return time and a 6 month max return time....my barrel wont be in for 2 months, so i might as well get in line now and ship it when it comes in later..

im hoping in the end to have a $16,000 gun with $13,250-13,500 invested.....and have a gun to be proud of

ive come up with a list of 9 items to fix...i assume they will find more

Thanks Colt21 for the name...Sandman also recommended them.....they seem like the correct fit for this gun

my main concern is budget ...the words ''we dont repair, we restore'' worry me....he was very nice on the phone...wouldnt discuss anything until the gun is in his hands. My budget is healthy for this, but not open ended.....hoping we can get done what needs doing w/o breaking my budget.....cheaping out on minor details can = problems down the road....ive decided to go this route and want to have an easy selling gun in the future...not a POS

most likely this gun will never be sold by me anyways, so it will be enjoyed....looking at it one last time before boxing it up this afternoon i thought---it looks ...the lower looks good minus the stock...but nothing on the upper is good at all

and my pepsi can bendover and jammed into the lower bushing? it did nothing...the looseness is in the slot in the receiver...so some welding will need to be done...sad the original guy who built it couldnt pick a better condition receiver

i feel 100% confident in the gunsmith after doing on line research and others recommendations

see my gun again in 6 months, beautiful and no rattles

OOW restored my Thompson. They have a labor rate they follow. Good news they came in under budget and adjusted my bill down. Bad news is it took 4 months. Bad news the gun came apart. Good news was they owned it, apologized and repaired it. You'll pay for it but it will be right. Impressive facility. Edited by Junkhunter

PM sent to junk hunter....need info on budget i have in my head

as far as 4 months?...my uzi is at 6 months and not even touched...i dont expect it for 12 months+.....so 4 months seems like a cake walk for me...i was given a max of 6 months....wont have the barrel for them for 2 months anyways...so 4 is just fine..

Edited by huggytree

• 2 months later...

getting my MP40 shipped back to me on monday from OOW..Budget given for these fixes was $3000-4000!!!..just thought id share their prices as i find them shocking....i felt the price was 2x+ what is should be just to tighten up a few things on a gun that runs well....stuck paying $300 shipping both ways...their lead time went from 3 months to 6 months also and i decided id rather fix much of this stuff myself and take any welding to be done to a local welder once the stamp comes in....ill do the repairs for $300 myself vs $4,000.....this $3000-4000 price did not include the new barrel (which i was to supply)...so parts wise there was just some possible new parts for the stock wobble...so $4000 was pretty much labor to fix a loose stock, loose receiver,swap barrels and refinish the receiver

i almost choked when i heard the price

can anyone tell me if this part wiggles on their gun? or is it SOLID....Bergflak says it should be spot welded....this was my original idea on the loose upper to lower...it didnt seem right

looking for comparisons to others guns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuBY_TZxeFs

Edited by huggytree

Magazines: The one on the right is for a Belgian Vigneron SMG, IMA sells them. They fit and work in an MP40, but the original mag loaders won't work, but you can alter the mags to work with the loader. (I don't recall exactly how)

No they don't. The part that goes into the magazine well is much larger on the Vig. You have to grind the living snot out of it to get it to come close to fitting. I have one I have cut and grinded on to use as a stand in a display. Do NOT buy these and expect them to work without a ton of work. NOT EVEN CLOSE

genuine-militaria_eu on gunbroker is where I bought a replacement MP40 stock assy. It was basically NOS and about $400. Canabalized parts off it and now have zero wiggle in my stock.

you can also go to

http://www.bergflak.com/mp/bs16.html

I think I would start with #6 and see if that takes care of it. Best would be take the stock apart and see whats worn. Since you are willing to replace some parts as it is not an all matching, with what they have available, you can do it yourself.

i am emailing bergflak and Alex from Holland about my gun to help work through the issues.....they have both been very helpful and great to me

also getting help from a few others here in the States...also a great help.....with a bit of help i think i can do all the needed work myself and have a great shooter grade gun (which is all i wanted)

i think i have the stock loose part handled....i fellow forum member/friend is sending me a new bushing for the stock that i can custom tweak/file to match my button....it worked on his gun, so i would expect similar results with mine.....i think its the best/correct fix...replace the worn part....

im told my bushing for my breech pin should not have any wiggle....so i will be getting that tack welded and see if that fixes my receiver twist.....my receiver slot does not appear to be worn, so im thinking this fix will make a significant difference.....cheap fix

What is really needed is someone in WI with one that i can swap uppers/lowers with and see what is worn....but i do not know anyone with a Mp40 here....

ive got a local guy who is a very good welder...sidejob/nights kinda guy....he has done great work in the past for me...its his full time day job, so he is a pro

Edited by huggytree

genuine-militaria_eu on gunbroker is where I bought a replacement MP40 stock assy. It was basically NOS and about $400. Canabalized parts off it and now have zero wiggle in my stock.

you can also go to

I think I would start with #6 and see if that takes care of it. Best would be take the stock apart and see whats worn. Since you are willing to replace some parts as it is not an all matching, with what they have available, you can do it yourself.

The most important part in the bergflak pic is missing. The bushing.

you can also go to

I obtained one from him not that long ago, email and ask, he may still have some. Also he will be at Knob Creek next month, table A-10.

I did 3 or 4 vig. magazines in a couple of hours with a 1 inch belt sander, Just have your MP40 with you and grind a check fit, Try to minimize metal removal on the mag. catch side and try to stay as square as possible. All I use are vig. mags and my MP40 magazines stay in the safe. Also I have had zero issues using the vig. mags.

RoscoeTurner, on 25 Mar 2018 - 06:15, said:

Petroleum 1, on 25 Mar 2018 - 05:25, said:

geefal, on 24 Mar 2018 - 08:39, said:

you can also go to

I obtained one from him not that long ago, email and ask, he may still have some. Also he will be at Knob Creek next month, table A-10.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any more bushings. I bought one or two some time ago and had emailed him to see if he had any more. That is the part you need. I changed the bushing on my Erb and it tightened the stock right up. If nothing else, it would probably be relatively easy to recreate one with a bit tighter tolerances if you know a machinist with skills.