Anyone Have a Taylor Fur Getter?

I was doing some research in a Mossberg book today, and ran across an interesting product they produced for another company, called a "Taylor Fur Getter." I don't remember seeing this before. It's a device that looks like a short rifle, without a stock, and has a long hook on the front of it, with a stake under it to hold the device in the ground. It can also be attached to a tree. The hook is used for bait, and when a critter pulls on the bait, it triggers a .22 caliber shot to be fired, presumably killing them. It's considered an AOW, but was removed from the NFA.

Does anyone here have one?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

One was listed a while back in the Cowen Little John auction right by you. I have

seen examples and variations of the same under other trade names over the years. I believe an number of such trap/set guns are up in the next auction.

PTRS

Edited by PTRS-14.5

PTRS,

Thanks for the info. Just an interesting device I hadn't noticed before. I'll probably see one at the next gun show, now that I know what they are...

Here's a photo of one:

Taylor_Fur_Getter.jpg

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 3 months later...

Yes,

I have one inbound. Can't wait to test it out. It appears my MG collecting got sidetracked once again. I had always envisioned such a device since I heard about the first "shed rigged" shotgun shooting and wondered how no one ever made such a thing for other purposes, then eventually stumbled on this and found the gun banners had already put them out of the market 90 years ago.