Giving A Dummy Life.

I just bought a dummy receiver from Philadelphia Ordnance (because they are made from higher grade steel). I would like to have it milled into a live firearm, but I don't know what kind of crap I would have to go through to get it done. Would I HAVE to get prior batf approval, or can I get a license after it is milled? I live in Georgia, class III sub guns are legal here, but I don't know if it is the same with a milled dummy. Or would I have been better off just buying a live receiver from Kahr?

NO, you cannot get a LIVE Receiver from kahr. Nor, do I think their building FA receivers. NO, you CANNOT build a MG. Prior to May 1986, you could have, but NO longer, unless your Class 2. Doug Richardsons Receivers are better overall in quality compared to the Phil Ord. ones. About the only thing you can do is make a Display Gun.

Mr Thompson--

I know that your inquiry was about building a full auto. The guys are correct, that would be forbidden.

On a related note, when I first came on board, I thought I'd like to build a semi from scratch. I later learned from this board that you can't do any milling inside the Phil. Ord. receiver, because it has the dimensions as the real Thompsons. Kahr gets away with their semi design because their receiver has a .1" difference from the originals, this making it highly difficult for anyone to put original MG bolt in it.

Oh, I've always seen on the Kahr website (In reference to the 1928 and M1 Models) "Not currently in production".

Though, I did check out that website you mentioned Hardrede, and it appears kahr is manufacturing the TSMG, to be available by late 2003.

You would think Kahr would be consumed with ironing out the bugs in their semi auto versions before venturing into full auto production. Considering the limited market for newly manufactured machine guns, since the laws restricting ownership after 1986, what government or authorized individual would be a player for a Kahr full auto?

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Jul 18 2003, 07:03 PM)
Unless you are a Class III dealer, you would be in violation of 1986 ATF regulations against manufacturing a new machine gun.

Actually, it's a licensed (annual tax) manufacturer who also paid the SOT (Special Occupational Taxpayer) annual tax (in addition), and then, you could only transfer it to a US law enforcement agency or military branch, unless you jump thorugh more hoops -- in which case you might be able to export it (more annual taxes as licensed exporter), or sell it to a Class II dealer (if he's got his paperwork in order, including a letter expressing LE or militray interest in seeing or buying it!

Becoming a C2 manufacturer for one gun is a bit pricey -- and if you ever surrender your license, you have to lawfully get rid of that gun (as you couldn't even transfer it to yourself -- that's reserved for pre-86 "transferrable" and pre-86 "dealer's samples")! However, while your license was valid, you could continue to "test fire" and "demonstrate" your "product". http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

QUOTE (hardrede @ Jul 19 2003, 05:01 PM)
I'm not sure, but I think my TROLL detector is going off. This thread has the smack of extreme naivete, or someone trying to "troll" for illegal info. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

There is, actually, no such thing as "illegal info". You can have information obtained illegally, and you can have information that you implememnt illegally, but the First Amendment means that the information itself is not illegal.

However, I take your point, and agree.

Wouldn't the machine shop ask questions ? I don't think anyone walking in with a Blueprint marked Thompson Sub Machinegun and recever blank would be greeted courtiously. Plus where did he intend to heat treat it ? Don't know weather Nieativety or Ilegality would be more disterbing.

BB