Israeli Thompsons

A few photos which may interest some of you.

The first shows soldiers of the IDFs Givati Brigade, I believe in the 1948 war.

IDF Givati Brigade soldiers  .jpg

Second is an IDF soldier during the period of the 6 day war in 1967.

IDF Soldier Sinai 1967.JPG

Finally, this one does not have a Thompson in the photo, but I included it, as it is one of my favourite IDF photos...

serveimageHWPHL4US.jpg

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps
  • Upvote 2

Richard,

I particularly love some of the features of the Sinai pic gun. The comp is mounted upside down, it has an unprotected L-sight, and the bolt is forward on an empty XX mag. Not sure how or why the comp is upside down, especially with the pin still in place, but as noted on one of the adjacent threads, apparently you can force that condition.

The 1948 pic appears to be a 1928 and an M1.

Can't argue about your inclusion of pic 3.

Thanks for sharing.

Roger

Interesting pictures, thanks for sharing. My guess on the missaligned comp is that the barrel was swapped from another 1928 and they may have been in a hurry to get the gun back into action.

Andrew

Roger,

Is it unusual for 1928A1's to have unprotected L-sights? I got the impression there was a lot of them produced, both with smooth and finned barrels near the end of production as they were moving across to producing M1s?

In my collection I have two deactivated 1928A1's with unprotected L-sights, one, a Savage, with a smooth barrel and the other produced by Auto-Ordnance with a finned barrel.

S 541933 LS XX Mag.JPG

No.14 body .JPG

Note, the bolts are forward on both empty XX magazines :happy:

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps

Nothing odd about the "L" sight or the bolt forward.

There were probably many more 28A1s made with the "L" site than the adjustable sight.

And it would be normal to have the bolt forward on a loaded mag when no enemy is in the area.

As far as the comp being out of alignment , maybe it was a West Hurley. Just last Sunday , at Tusco Rifle Club, I saw a West Hurley with the comp misaligned like the pictured gun.

The big question, the one everyone is overlooking, is where does the lady keep her spare mags???

Jim C

Nothing odd about the "L" sight or the bolt forward.

There were probably many more 28A1s made with the "L" site than the adjustable sight.

And it would be normal to have the bolt forward on a loaded mag when no enemy is in the area.

As far as the comp being out of alignment , maybe it was a West Hurley. Just last Sunday , at Tusco Rifle Club, I saw a West Hurley with the comp misaligned like the pictured gun.

The big question, the one everyone is overlooking, is where does the lady keep her spare mags???

Jim C

Jim,

I thought that was the case re; L sights, and as for the lady, she is probably wearing a 5.11 Tactical Bikini, those 5.11 design guys come up with all sorts of ingenious ways to covertly hide/store mags in clothing! :wacko:

stay safe

Richard

A few photos which may interest some of you.

The first shows soldiers of the IDFs Givati Brigade, I believe in the 1948 war.

attachicon.gifIDF Givati Brigade soldiers .jpg

Second is an IDF soldier during the period of the 6 day war in 1967.

attachicon.gifIDF Soldier Sinai 1967.JPG

Finally, this one does not have a Thompson in the photo, but I included it, as it is one of my favourite IDF photos...

attachicon.gifserveimageHWPHL4US.jpg

Stay safe

Richard

This looks like the same IDF soldier from the front and the same gun (look at the sling it's exact) but now the compensator is straight...............and the description of the photo is 1952

ISRAEL. The King Salomon's Mines area. 1952.jpg

Edited by azboater

Going from memory in Frank American Thunder books, the plain L sight started to appear in Savage 1928A1 production around the 500,000 serial number range, around the 85,000 serial number range in the AOC Bridgeport plant 1928A1's. Looking at overall production of Savage and AOC Bridgeport there should be less plain L sight 1928A1's produced then the Lyman adjustable rear sight production. They might appear more common due to them being produced just prior to the adoption of the M1 Thompson. Quite a few plain L 1928 Thompson's pictured in combat theaters in The Thompson Submachine Gun book by Tom Laemlein.

• 2 years later...

A few more photos of Israeli soldiers with Thompsons:

Israel 1947.jpg

Israel 1948 a.jpg

Israel 1948.jpg

Israeli MP April 29 1952.jpg

Israel 890th Airborne Battalion 1954.jpg

Israeli Young Aliya 1948.jpg

All found on the Russian website Guns.Ru

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23949

Stay safe

Richard

Fellas,

I'm sure the following aspect of L sights has been discussed before: Arsenal rebuilds and/or field repairs. I know of a 1928A1 #S-118846 in a museum that was a rebuild from RIA. So regardless of when a part may have been introduced to a particular model, we certainly see a whole slew of variations out there and in pics; it appears that only the safe or armorer's vault queens remain "virgin" in original equipment. Or so it would seem. Fun to see all the different modes of dress for the Thompson.

Love the upside down comps. So much for "driving the barrel gases down" as advertised in the Cutts sales literature :happy:

Very cool pics by the way, thanks for all the additions.

Ron

Roger,

Is it unusual for 1928A1's to have unprotected L-sights? I got the impression there was a lot of them produced, both with smooth and finned barrels near the end of production as they were moving across to producing M1s?

In my collection I have two deactivated 1928A1's with unprotected L-sights, one, a Savage, with a smooth barrel and the other produced by Auto-Ordnance with a finned barrel.

attachicon.gif S 541933 LS XX Mag.JPG

attachicon.gif No.14 body .JPG

Note, the bolts are forward on both empty XX magazines :happy:

Stay safe

Richard

Can you send some pictures of the Thompson with the British stock modifications. I just picked up one like that and would like to have some reference photos for comparison.

post-259934-0-20293600-1573578898_thumb.jpg

Edited by DZelenka

I'd very much like to see photos of the Brit modified front vertical grip.

I need to know what sort of swivel and if it was inletted.

THX,

Owen

Owen,

Here is a previous post on the subject:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17195&hl=%2Bvertical+%2Bforegrips&do=findComment&comment=144742

Stay safe

Richard