Anyone with drum repair knowledge?

Now that Merle is done, can anyone share how and what is needed to get and keep drums functioning. Are there jigs involved. Has anyone seen it done? Anyone able to pick Merles brain. Seems this knowledge needs to be shared.

Doug R. had crates of drums and tooling he was trying to get rid of. The tooling to make and assemble drum components would be a good start. Phil

From one of his last blogs...

Drum Manufacturing (24 Apr 2016)

If anyone is interested in manufacturing drum magazines, I am willing to accept a deposit to guarantee the return of all drum manufacturing items I have which I would provide. I would partner in return for a royalty on each drum manufactured. I can no longer afford to store all the parts made with the tooling. I will hang on to the tooling but I will have to scrap all the parts, particularly the drum bodies which take up a lot of space. I am doing everything I can to prevent the loss to us all of all this Thompson stuff I am sitting on.

Edited by anjong-ni

That's either going to be an interesting estate sale or a complete forfeiture to local officals. Him selling it at this point is never going to happen. Every time his name pops up I can't get out of my head Jim C's post, you rob one bank and forever after they refer to you as a bank robber. Still makes me LOL.

If you have a specific drum problem, post it and I'm sure plenty of folks will chime in as to how to help fix it. I have a bunch of WWII drums and older colts (many tested, some not) that all run 100% and I've done nothing to them, but I inspected all of them before purchase and they are all major dent free. I've never greased any of them, but I do make sure they are clean. I've not tried the new WH C drum, but my original runs fine. I've tinkered with MP18 snail drums and they have their own set of issues and are more complicated. HTH

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it hurts to have lost Merle as a resource. Has anyone here had experience opening the mainspring compartment? I have a Taiwan drum that I believe has a detached spring. I'd like to get inside, make a repair then reassemble. At $100 a pop, it doesn't make sense investing too much $$ into it but if I could do it myself I'd be happy. TIA

Bob D

I have a New York 3rd model that needs a dent fixed. Would love to know how to deal with it.

You could take that dent out with a Colt Chopper dent removal tool. I watched Jack take some dents out of a Colt era drum at TATA. Worked like magic. Only problem is Colt Chopper production run of tools was fairly small and I believe are sold out.

I feel lucky to have only been in the TSMG game a few decades and thus have never encountered a dented drum-knock on wood. Thank goodness we have this site as such a great resource. However, we have lost a lot of collective knowledge with Merle out of the picture (hopefully to return) which should not happen in this community. Doug, Paul et al need to download their brains here in video (for us lesser peoples) Merle was a hoot to chat with and I am fortunate to have spoken to him on a few occasions.