Thompson Trigger Question

I am sure all new Thompson guys ask this question but can you help me too? Is there any way you can adjust the trigger pull so it is not so long and hard? Anyone on the board that works on them to make them better? Would appreciate names and web pages/phone numbers. Thanks a lot.

Yes, lots of discussion about this. See http://www.machinegunbooks.com/cgibin/ikon...um=1&topic=2221 from the old board (I think). Also, recent posts here about Dave Janowski's new springs at http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invb...t=200&hl=spring. I think there is a FAQ question somewhere here too!

I have the same trigger pull question. I checked the links Chris sent (thanks!), but they were about recoil springs. 'Didn't find anything about reducing trigger pull on the FAQ, either.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to lighten the pull of the trigger on a Savage 29A1, before I make my own attempt? An 8-year old friend of mine had to use three fingers the other day out at the range, and I'd like to get the gun to fire more accurately on semi at 100 yards (I know, I know: "Accuracy? Why bother!")

Thanks for any suggestions or leads.

DC

After I made that post I wondered if the recoil springs affected the trigger pull. Not too familiar with the semi setup. I though they did but guess I was wrong. Sorry!

Arthur,

Actually, he's going into third grade. You bet I let him shoot! He's from he People's Republic of Canadastan, where they aren't allowed mgs (I don't even know if they allow handguns there anymore). He was absolutely beaming on the range, as was his dad.

He did great! With a fifty round drum at 35 yards, he was able to tag a full-size Adolf Hitler torso target 5 times at 35 yards, firing from the hip. If some 8 year old had done that with the real Hitler 70 years ago, we'd all be better off.

Be honest: you would have walked over hot coals in third grade to shoot a Thompson (I know I would have!). This kid had the thrill of a lifetime on the range. Why deprive him of that?

BTW, when I explained the target, he asked, "Who's Hitler?"

Do you think he'll remember now?

But getting back to the topic at hand, what's the trick to lightening the trigger pull on a Thompson?

Okay, this is pure opinion.

As a firearm that was designed for use in wartime encounters ("trench broom"), I personally believe that the TSMG was likley to have been designed with a purposeful trigger pull intentionally. I am not a gunsmith so I can offer no suggestions as to smoothing or lowering the force required for the trigger pull. Additionally, such modifications may well adversely affect the value of the firearm.

I would not change the trigger pull.

However, it's your gun, so best of luck!

TSMG triggers are designed to be long and somewhat heavy, however they can be real buggers if something is wrong. It will never be a benchrest gun but improvements can be made. I do not suggest clipping springs indiscriminately as serious difficulties could arise. A good trigger should be smooth and between 10-14# pull.

If outside this range problems may be present and the gun should be inspected by a competent gunsmith.