A brief intro..and a question..

sxsfan

I'm a long time military fan..and have had the usual semi configured weapons..including an Israeli import 1919. My dentist is a C3 owner...M-60..Glock 18..AC 556..AK. I went with him a few times to Markham Park when FA night was once a month. My real interest has been SXS shotguns...Parker..LC Smith..Fox, etc...and Winchester rifles...Lately. I've been looking over available C3 weapons..( I have C&R and CCW licenses..so I'm confident in passing check)..when my friend said he has a tranferable PPS 43 that he would sell. The price is reasonable...BUT..He says sometimes it fires one shot..then stops with bolt closed..and sometimes the firing pin doesn't strike the primer at all..I've read what I could find on the weapon..and saw that the hinge pin location can be critical to the operation. I confess I'm in the dark..and would like some advice/experience/suggestions ?...before I make any purchase...Thanks.j..

PPs43 is an ingenious design and incredibly simple.The firing pin can easily be replaced if needed, and it is possible, with this gun, that the pin has been damaged and needs replacement. The pin is held in place in the boltface by the extractor. Remove the extractor, plunger and spring and the pin can be taken out.

The "hinge pin" has nothing to do with the relationship of the barrel to the bolt in this gun. The bolt is free to go into battery within a wide range of forward or backward movement of the barrel.

If the price is right go for it.

Edited by Black River Militaria CII
  • Upvote 1

Yes..The one I'm looking at is a FA gun..but...the failure to operate correctly...sometimes not hitting primer..and other times firing. but failing to fire the second shot has me a bit concerned. I know nothing about working on such weapons..What would another bolt accomplish ?...thanks..,j...

Hi SXSFan,

If it is a good price, buy it and have it gone over. There are many things that might cause the situation you mention. I've had open bolt guns do what you described due to lack of lubrication or even a weak recoil spring.

Best to look at the round that didn't fire at the time of stoppage. Shaving at the rear of the case can be caused by a burr on the bolt face in feeding. It can the bolt enough to cause a failure to fire. Other causes might be an extractor problem.

Either way, there are several competent mg-smiths out there. Black River Militaria CII has been at it since before I was born and that is a long time :) There are also some really good smiths in the Orlando area.

Either way, enjoy!

Grasshopper

Seems to be a good price. He wants one of my shotguns and some boot..We'll see. I passed along to him the suggestion about fixing the feed and/or misfire problems. He said he would do it and get back with me...thanks for the help..j..

• 2 weeks later...

Well..Seems that the problems continue. He had a gunsmith look at it..Still has problems..I've decided to pass on it. What I think I'll do..is buy one of the many kits available..and have a semi-auto built. Can someone suggest a builder that is competent ?/..thanks..JV.

Well..Seems that the problems continue. He had a gunsmith look at it..Still has problems..I've decided to pass on it. What I think I'll do..is buy one of the many kits available..and have a semi-auto built. Can someone suggest a builder that is competent ?/..thanks..JV.

Make sure the gunsmith he had look at is familiar with machine guns, the average "gunsmith" has no clue how they work or why.

Serious question. Not trying to be rude, but how can you almost buy a registered full auto version of a gun, then pass up on it because of some part inside of it that is probably cheap and easy to fix that is worn out, then decide to just settle for a semi auto version of this gun?

• 4 weeks later...

Well..I give up..I should have researched the trigger conversion,before I jumped in. I don't have the expertise to change everything. I sold all my stuff to a couple veterans that do reenactments. They just want the look..Don't care about working. I'll keep looking for a gun..but now...back to my sxs shotguns..thanks to all who helped a true novice...

• 3 weeks later...

Ppsh was a very enjoyable gun to shoot

Why not buy the gun at a discount. -$2000

Then get it fixed. You may be able to fix it yourself with parts swap

A brp stg76 will give you a similar gun with a warranty

Might be a good choice for your first FA.

Gun smiths are 6-18 months out. Dont buy nonfunctional unless you can wait years for a repair