$70K for a Numrich 28?

This, to me, looks like a made-up gun. The receiver has been heavily sandblasted

and I don't think there would be any reason to do that on a factory new gun, even one

with a flat finish. Also, are the bright rivets correct? I know this has been discussed here

before....

Bob

Especially when the same search turns up these

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/837640464

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/843530751

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/836114375

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/840156397

I'm not commenting on the quality/value of these four simply on the pricing incongruity of the NAC gun

My $0.02 -

This gun has been listed on GB for a while, and all I can figure is that the

broker (or the owner) thinks they can get a $40K premium (over the current market)

for the "...rare chance to own a fully transferable unfired from factory..."

Either they don't understand how Thompsons are priced, or more likely, looking

for a buyer who doesn't understand how Thompsons are priced (*also, with more

$money than sense...).

SM

Well crap rivet job a real quick one there, And only the rich will buy and own Thompsons.

If i had $70 grand cash not loans not b.s. but $70 grand cash.It would not be for a Thompson.

There will be many more for sale in the next ten years. RON K.

Shiny! Decades before "bling" even became a word. A Numrich gun assembled out of left-over AOC parts. NAC probably didn't give the proverbial rodent's posterior about correct configuration as long as it went together and worked. They had an actuator that never made it to the bluing tank, they used it. Nothing is necessarily as it should be. What do you expect for $70K?

This Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport (AOB) Thompson in the 134,000 serial number range was most likely imported by Interarms in the early 1960's and sold to Numrich Arms. A Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) would probably reveal a Form 2 indicating a 1960's import date. There is nothing that indicates this is a parts gun assembled from parts. The receiver and frame are matching and the military inspection markings are present. Why Numrich Arms stamped the letters NAC as a serial number suffix on this and many other Thompson guns is still a mystery. Regarding the rear sight rivets, I would guess an original L type rear sight was replaced with a Lyman adjustable rear sight by the new owner. I have not studied this area extensively, but I believe the L rear sight would be correct for this serial number range. I don't know why the finish on the actuator is missing but can say a knurled actuator would be correct. I also cannot judge the exterior finish based on the pictures. I do agree the price is a tad on the high side :happy:

An AO gun in this serial number range should have the L type sight (my 114,000 gun does). The color of the rivets doesn't bother me. Mine is original finish and has bright silver rivets. The marks from the staking are the problem, All of the AO built guns that I have observed that seemed to be original have rivets with a round dimple on the center of the head. They do not look like this. I would say that TD is right about a previous owner replacing the L sight with the ladder sight.

Can anyone tell if the P proof mark is a serif or a sans serif P? It also looks like it is missing the punch mark unless it is very light at the base instead of in the loop. THe ordnance wheel and inspector's initials look like they may have been stamped before the finish was applied.

The rear sight rivets on my NAC '28A1 are also bright and are set less than perfectly. The serial numbers match and all ordnance marks are present. The gun has been in this configuration since it was sold to the PO in 1954.

The rear sights were added to the receivers after bluing, as evidenced by the bright portions of the rear sight.

My NAC is just as nice. The upper receiver is kind of a dark purple, while the matching lower is more blue/black.

Maybe he is losing money on a failed venture and hoping he can make it up on this one. its like classic cars, antique and stuff what it is worth to him simply isnt a market reality. Then again maybe it is so pricey so he actually wont sell it. I tried to sell it but nobody wants my rare cream puff..... grandma only drove this Corvette to church and the store its all original and super low miles 😳

• 2 weeks later...