Ww2 M1a1 Sold For 15k!

Nick Tilotta (westernfirearms.com) sold a refinished/reworked bridgeport M1A1 within the last week for $14,995!!

I have bought from Nick before (full-auto AK47) and know his prices are not negotiable. So is this what can be expected as the 'norm' from now on?

If so...my M1A1 might be for sale!!

All Thompsons (and all F/As) continue to rise in price. Just look at the old classifieds in TCA news. Thanks to the internet and sites like this people have discovered the steps to full auto ownership. I've seen guns 4 sale on sturmegewehr and bowers board sold within hours of the listing. Who knows, a year from now and $15,000.00 for a M1A1 may be considered a great price.

There must be a lot of non reported rapes out there since someone paid over $15K for JC Devine's M1-A1also. But a West Hurley 1928 only commanded $6,500 at that auction. A few more rapes like this and nice Colt TSMG's will routinely sell for $30K. It is the perennial story that something is worth what the market decides it's worth. Colt's and WWII TSMGs are rising with the tide, while WH's remain at a fixed level.

I've seen dealer sample M1A1's going for 5500-6000 and 1928's going for 7500-9000. I think the prices of transferable guns will quickly be out-of-sight. Get 'em now before they are all gone, dig deep and make it happen or you will be telling the grandkids "I remember back in '03 you could get a real Thompson for only 10K". http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

JC (not so) Devine's oversold guns are NOT the norm for value estimation. I can remember a couple of recent sales to board members for under 8K on the M1 type guns. Both were WW2 guns. You cannot pick out one oversold gun and compair it to everything else.

Jr

Conversely, you cannot judge the market place by what USMC paid for his super fine example M1. If you throw out the incredible highs and the incredible lows, you arrive at a figure around $11,500. Again, if you consider the sum of the surplus parts for an M1/ M1-A1 costing less than $1,000., it is difficult to rationalize paying six figures for a transferable functioning example. But how many buyers, who pay over $10K for these M1/M1-A1's, does it take for this pattern to be the norm instead of the exception?

I will not sell my Amnesty M1A1 thompson for what i paid ($7,500) or what Nick sold his for ($15,000) because of sentimental value and the fact that hopefully 30 or so years from now a few class 3 items can be sold to put my children through college (if i accidentally knock up a blond bimbo with big tatas from a gun show)

I was just surprised and inquiring/commenting on the fact that a reworked gun could actually be sold for 15k

The world of class 3 is very amazing to me at times...the classic econ 101 example at work-supply and demand

Statisticians will tell you the median (equal number above and below) is a better representation of a set than the highs, the lows or the average (arithmetic mean). Given we do not know the size of all of the sets (I have seen it estimated that there are 1800 to 2200 registered '21 TSMGs, and the number of each type of WH is known, but I have not seen the number of each variation of WWII vintage TSMG that is registered) a statistically significant sample is difficult to estimate at a particular point in time.

As was noted, the prices for certain variations appear to be rising much faster than others. As also noted, condition is a major factor.

All in all, the price for good, transferrable TSMGs appears to be way outpacing inflation.

I was talking to Dennis Todd, an auto weapons dealer from Pennsylvania, at a Maryland gun show yesterday (11/22). He had a 1928 AC for $16,500 in decent condition. His people offered to buy my 1928A1 military Thompson for $11K - 12K, to resell for more than that. My Thompson isn't for sale, but this seems typical of the prices here.

Pete Dursin