Celebrity Owned MP40 Question

Hello, new to the boards and this is my second post. I was just wondering if someone else also has a celebrity owned MP40 or has a story or stories of an MP40 or MP38 owned or formerly owned by a celebrity. I heard that Hunter S. Thompson owed an MP40 and that possibly Ernest Hemingway also owned one. I own the MP40 amnesty registered by Hank Williams Jr. (Son of Hank Williams Country music legend). Mine came with a copy of the original amnesty paperwork and I heard this gun was sold with an MG42 Hank Jr. registered during the amnesty. Unfortunately, the guns were broken up. I was toying with maybe posting a WTT ad because I was thinking of maybe trading into an MP40 with a different code like an fxo or maybe a bnz. This gun is coded ayf 43. I don't know what a fair trade would be and want to be fair to both parties. Thanks for reading and please post any cool or interesting stories. Take care, Haenelistklasse

Years ago Hank Jr. was a member(?) or visitor to OGCA at the IX Center and we talked a few times. I know of some TSMG's he sold with other C3 and Title 1 arms due to a conviction for an issue I heard. He was collecting antique wheel guns if I remember. This was many years ago, around the time I had a table full of the DOE M14's.

PTRS14.5

Charlie

Interesting post. Pictures of the gun once owned by Hank Williams, Jr.? I've got a BNZ 41 which was registered during the 1968 amnesty to the son of the WWII vet who brought it back. I've got a copy of the original registration because I bought it from the son who registered it. If you did a FOIA request it would be redacted. How did you get a copy of the original registration in 1968 showing it was registered by Hank Williams, Jr.? Robert

Hello, new to the boards and this is my second post. I was just wondering if someone else also has a celebrity owned MP40 or has a story or stories of an MP40 or MP38 owned or formerly owned by a celebrity. I heard that Hunter S. Thompson owed an MP40 and that possibly Ernest Hemingway also owned one. I own the MP40 amnesty registered by Hank Williams Jr. (Son of Hank Williams Country music legend). Mine came with a copy of the original amnesty paperwork and I heard this gun was sold with an MG42 Hank Jr. registered during the amnesty. Unfortunately, the guns were broken up. I was toying with maybe posting a WTT ad because I was thinking of maybe trading into an MP40 with a different code like an fxo or maybe a bnz. This gun is coded ayf 43. I don't know what a fair trade would be and want to be fair to both parties. Thanks for reading and please post any cool or interesting stories. Take care, Haenelistklasse

Hi Robert, thanks for your reply. I don't know how to post pics but if you would be willing to do it I could send you some pics probably this weekend. Plus I will send a pic of the amnesty form. Actually, this gun came out of an old Texas collection. The previous owner owned it for almost 25 years and when he bought it, it came with a copy of the amnesty form. Take care, Haenelistklasse

PS Your gun sounds really nice too. Do you shoot it? What else came with it? How did you discover it?

Mine was registered in the 1968 amnesty by the son of the WWII vet who brought it back from WWII. He was in his early 20's when he registered it. He's now in his 70's. I bought the gun. I've got an un-redacted copy of the original 1968 registration by the son. Yes, I shoot it. It runs great. It came with one magazine. I've got a number of other very nice MP-40 magazines and some reproduction pouches along with a nice original mag loader. I looked for one that I would want for some time before finding it. The hunt for one is part of the fun.

• Upvote 1