MP-40 stock/lock

…...Can anyone here, tell me how I can tighten my folding stock on my MP-40, in such a way, that I can understand......I am not a machinist, and have only average tools to work with.

…....Huggy/tree mentioned some ways, but I am at a loss as to how to do it.

…....

…...I have taken the roll-pin out a couple times, and just don't see a way, in my simple mind how to do it.???

The plunger has two lugs next to each other on one side of bottom the circumference to allow for horizontal lock when folded and an angled lock when extended. The plunger rotates with the stock. A ring fixed into the lower has appropriately spaced and located recesses to fit the lugs when they are rotated into position to go into lock for each position.
Vertical looseness of the stock can occur as a result of the fixed ring wearing and not being tightly located and anchored. Both the lugs and the fixed ring recesses wear over time and the fit opens up allowing play. The plunger has to move freely in and out so there will be vertical play in it's fit through the stock arm hinge.

Finding a replacement plunger and fixed ring that mesh perfectly without play is not possible without great expense to acquire enough of each to do a mix and match fit. New plungers and fixed rings are being made and sold, but the same issue applies with buying enough of them to find a set that will mesh tightly. Then there is the fit trying to get a play-free fit of the plunge in the stock arm boss and the fit of the fixed ring in the upper which will also be a crap shoot.

Some MPs have sufficient friction in the compression of the hinge parts to create stiffness in the rotation of the stock into extended position which mitigates the vertical play enough to reduce the annoyance. Finding an appropriate sized and thickness shim washr or making and fitting few to fit to the offside hinge boss so that when the stock is assembled and the retaining pin pushed through, there is enough compression to create the friction to dampen the play. This can be done and is really the only fairly inexpensive path to a realistic improvement that I know of. I have done a couple and it is a lot of work to do as the stock cannot be removed without also first removing one side of the hinged buttplate and then complete reassembly to fit each shim to determine which one will, do what is required.

Really bad play can be reduced with replacing the parts but achieving very little or no play is very difficult.

The best of the many MP40s I've handled had very slight play and I doubt a new gun was any better. The design is not capable of entirely eliminating play as there are too many parts in the system and then through repeated stress on the rather small locking parts significant wear leads to excessive play. FWIW

Find a new bushing. Thats the best way

Feeler gauge trick. Wiggle your stock. Look at the slight gap between the button and the body. You want to fill that gap with 2 feeler gauges. 1 on each side of the button. Buy a feeler gauge. Remove the screw. That screw hole is what the pin holding the button on will go through. Put a piece of gauge on each side of the button. As tight as possible. Now cut it down to a small piece w a hole. Remove the stock button then put it back in w a piece of feeler gauge on each side of it. It doesnt show. It will help a loose stock. Helped remove 50% of the wiggle for $2 and 5 minutes

Bent stock pin. I found a bent one. Not sure how to bend your own. When I reassemble my stock I have to twist it hard to get the pin to go through. I pound it in. The stock is slightly bent from this. Twisted and stressed. This causes friction. It wont stop any wiggle you have but it can make

Moving the stock so hard you have to force it to move it.

I got lucky and got a bushing.

My button is so tight now I have to really push hard to unlock it.

Long term? Its gonna get loose again. The stock is poorly

Designed.

Edited by huggytree

…...Can anyone here, tell me how I can tighten my folding stock on my MP-40, in such a way, that I can understand......I am not a machinist, and have only average tools to work with.

…....Huggy/tree mentioned some ways, but I am at a loss as to how to do it.

…....

…...I have taken the roll-pin out a couple times, and just don't see a way, in my simple mind how to do it.???

If it ain't broke don't keep fixing it until it is.

Thank you guys for taking the time to describe what to do; I appreciate it, Bless you.

• 3 months later...
My stock locks in the open position but not in the closed position? Is there any adjustment to it? I found this pic online which shows how it looks internally. Maybe help explain what Black River was saying. There is also a YouTube video of a guy putting in a new one.

post-1716-0-96696700-1586989810_thumb.jpeg

Edited by jamesbucklin

Is the button popping back out after the stock is collapsed? You can see the teeth on the button grab those slots in the ring part. When the stock is open the teeth grab the slots at 3 Oclock when its closed the button locks into the slots at 9 oclock.

Is the button popping back out after the stock is collapsed? You can see the teeth on the button grab those slots in the ring part. When the stock is open the teeth grab the slots at 3 Oclock when its closed the button locks into the slots at 9 oclock.

No not popping out, I have not punched out the roll pin to look at it because I do not have any parts to replace it anyway. I thought maybe the outer ring is adustable some how, but probably not.

Take it apart anyway it might just need to be cleaned or the spring is worn / broken, they are easy to obtain. Before you knock the main pin out remove the shoulder brace at the ends of the arms.There is a small pin on each arm to tap out.That has to come off so the arms can be removed after you tap out the main pin.