Close Call For Brian (pca16)

I receive a e mail from my friend and THOMPSON collector and I would like everyone to wish him a get well message.

Here is the E mail I got from Brian

I JUST RETURNED HOME AND AM STILL ON A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF MEDICATION, SO IF THIS DOES NOT MAKE ANY SINCE ITS THE PAIN KILLERS TALKING. I WAS IN HARRISBURG PA AND HAD JUST RETURNED HOME LAST THURSDAY. I WAS UNLOADING SOME ITEMS IT THE HOUSE WHEN I BENT OVER THE GUN IN THE POCKET OF MY JACKET FELL OUT AND DISCHARGED WHEN IT HIT THE BRICKS.IT LANDED ON THE HAMMER AND FIRED THE ROUND UNDER THE FIRING PIN. WENT IN TO THE LEFT SIDE OF MY CHEST AND JUST (BY MILLIMETERS,PER THE TRAUMA SURGEON)MISSED MY HEART AND AORTA. IT HIT MY LEFT LUNG AND BLEW THE TOP OF MY LUNG OFF, THEN IT LODGED IN MY BACK, WHICH IS WHERE IT IS NOW.(VERY SORE) EARNED MY SELF SURGERY,A CHEST TUBE TO DRAIN THE BLOOD,AND 5 DAYS IN THE ICU. I'M STILL SORE BUT ALIVE....................................

I belive this accident happen to Brian Thurs Oct. 20, He is home now and feeling better, I belive the gun

was a 22cal.

Hope you have a speedy recovery Brian

See Ya

Tino

Brian Gustafson ( pca16 ) is a long time THOMPSON collector and friend to this board.

See Ya

Tino

at the s.a.r.show last year...my walther ppk fell out of it's holster while in the john...the only discharge was from me that day in the stall shouting motherf!!!!!!!!

no damage to me or the gun....

i hope brian get's back to normal soon...and wish him well...we've had a few thompson guy's pass over the year's..we don't need another on the plaque of fame!!

get well brian.stay safe. take care,ron

QUOTE (colt21a @ Oct 29 2005, 12:26 PM)
at the s.a.r.show last year...my walther ppk fell out of it's holster while in the john...the only discharge was from me that day in the stall shouting motherf!!!!!!!!

no damage to me or the gun....

i hope brian get's back to normal soon...and wish him well...we've had a few thompson guy's pass over the year's..we don't need another on the plaque of fame!!

get well brian.stay safe. take care,ron

all right another PPK carry guy................. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif i knew i liked you for some reason.... btw i use an ankle holster.... a little slower but I don't have to worry about having to dish it out of the shitter... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Thoughts to RKings bud.... Also rude wake up call to all who carry or handle firearms... There are no do-overs with guns....

Much thanks to all my thompson friends who have sent cards and e-mails. I am doing better each day. I had the bullet removed from my back Thursday. I will talk later when I am able. Still on mega pain killers. Thanks Brian.

Brian,

Heal fast, and be well.

I as well have had a few close calls over the years. Makes one really take stock in everything.

For CCW I only carry over an empty chamber with the 1911's. If things are hot, condition one with leather under the hammer.

Never did get up your way this summer for a shoot.

Ended up going to school through work and getting my police certification.

Wow! What a close one you had! Sure hope you get better soon.

Brian,

Wow, when all is done years from now, you will be king of the card table story tellers!

Hope you a quick recovery and all the best.

Z

Ouch!!!

Brian get well!

This is why I prefer not to have the Springild Armory 1911's or others without firing pin locks as carry guns ( target guns are a different story ) but I switched to a hip holster after I had a nasty spill that had me following my 1911. It was scuffed and I was cut up but gun was still cocked and locked. It was an old style Llama .45 and it had the Swartz system like Colt was beginning to implement only WWII got in the way.

You guys with the PPK's must have small hands, I get sliced twice every time I fire one of those. Too bad someone isn't making a pistol like the Colt 1903 vest pocket with firing pin locks and in say .40 S&W.

Hope you fully recover Brian, you have one hell of a story to tell to remind us about safety, pistol retention in holsters and hopefully you will be around to remind us for a good long time.

BB

PS anyone know if Caravile ( spelling?) still is in busness and makes the "double ace" conversions that work like the HK P7 for squeze cocking. I had one fifteen years ago (ghad has it been that long?) but foolishly traded it off.

only cut one time with a ppk,when i first a bought german walther pre-45 .32acp ppk from a indiana farmer while in the marine's....was going back home to chi-town from lejeune on leave, before the big flight to the big asian tour.............

he brought it back from ww2......and decided since i was going over to sell it to me. i think for $100.00.......

stupid goofball that i am with nice stuff...and a faint weakness to please gun friend's about five year's later i sold it to a undeserving buddy of mine...after i put 100 rd's through it.dum, dum, dum, for a cheap $100 bill. regretted it for many year's...however recently picked up one of the first walther stainless made in u.s.a. from interarm's...{now defunct}

and it has worked well since...

been looking for a party leader model to buy...but alas, they want to freakin much for a original...

ppk never bothered me heck fired desert eagle's and everything else with no problem..

bond,jame's bond!!

take care,ron

p.s i do love the walther p-38 tho.one of the best double action's out there.and a dead shot with one.they just feel right!

QUOTE (colt21a @ Oct 31 2005, 11:44 AM)
only cut one time with a ppk,when i first  a bought  german walther pre-45 .32acp  ppk from a indiana farmer while in the marine's....was going back home to chi-town from lejeune on leave, before the big flight to the big asian tour.............

he brought it back from ww2......and decided since i was going over to sell it to me. i think for $100.00.......

stupid goofball that i am with nice stuff...and a faint weakness to please gun friend's about five year's later i sold it to a undeserving buddy of mine...after i put 100 rd's through it.dum, dum, dum,  for a cheap $100 bill. regretted it for many year's...

My PPK story.... Bought it when I was 21yo and it was the first pistol I ever bought... Purchased it from a place in Eugene OR called the Cop Shop run by an ex-cop/armorer... One of the EPD's finest put it in on consignment for 70 bucks and I was able to put 20 bucks down to hold it and paid it off in 2 months. I got hard up for money and ended up selling it to my new father-in-law for the same $70.00... I had the same regret you had.... But here five years ago I go to dad-in-laws, who was very sick at that point, for Christmas and low and behold I unwrap the first package and it is my PPK after after some 25+ years! I actually shed a tear or two at that point... That ole PPK is one of my favorite carry pieces.....

This is a tragic turn of events for you Brian and I truly hope your recovery is quick and complete. You were greatly blessed; it was much to close to be anything else.

I hope you will indulge me; I have no desire to hijack this thread, but I do have intimate knowledge concerning some widely held misconceptions espoused in earlier posts here about the 1911 style pistols that I feel compelled to share. I will do so in very abbreviated form.

In the late 70’s, a large central California sheriff’s office authorized it’s members to carry the 1911 style off duty. Within a year, there had been two offices shot with their own guns, one in the butt, the other across the thigh above the knee. Both survived without lasting disablement, but concerns were raised and the company for whom I worked was contracted to investigate the incidents.

In both cases the guns were loaded with the hammer down (authorized departmental procedure at the time). The butt injury involved the gun fireing while in the waist band of the user, the knee injury gun was being retrieved from the vehicle seat.

The short story: It was determined that the guns had discharged because the hammers had temporally been snagged and released, being drawn back not quite far enough for the half cock notch to engage. A jacket in one instance, the seat belt in the other.

Much skepticism was aired concerning these findings so a demonstration was arranged and attended by brass and field officers alike. In preparation, I removed the lip from the half cock notch of a 1911 hammer that normally prevents the trigger from releasing the hammer while in the half cock position, creating an effective sear notch where the half cock would have been. This position was very representative of the position the hammer could be drawn to and yet not engage the half cock of an unmodified part.

Pistols previously inspected to insure the inertial fireing pin system would not allow contact of fireing pin and primer while the hammer was fully lowered were fitted with the modified hammer, and loaded.

The hammer was then carefully lowered to the new, low sear position and the trigger pulled. In every attempt, the guns discharged.

The bottom line: The 1911 style pistol without a fireing pin block can only be carried safely in two conditions- chamber empty or loaded, cocked and locked (assuming all systems are OK).

Respectfully submitted

QUOTE (SecondAmend @ Nov 1 2005, 07:49 PM)
I've noticed that some girls put out after two beers while others keep their knees together after downing half a fifth of whiskey.

This leads me to not generalize.

I also carry the WWII version 1911A1 with the chamber empty until I'm at the firing line.

OK Give it up... where do you find those two beer girls? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

Just get well Brian, we need you here to control this thread mutation...... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

Still recovering more each day. Taking less and less pain killers, still having difficulty sleeping at night. Difficult to get comfortable. I lost the tip of my left lung 5%. They say I will never notice it. Still have residual blood in the left lung that will asorb over time. Got the stitches out from the bullet removal. Muscles sore around the chest tube cut on my side. I get a "catch" when I take a deep breath. But over all just glad to be here.Thanks Brian