Kahr Semi M1 Sbr Is Here

Well all, it's not the real deal, but it's still gonna be fun. About four months for the Form 4 but I've really been working on this for almost a year. Kahr supposedly produced one for me then backed out and said that one didn't meet their quality control so they made another one. Hope that's the truth and she runs well as I've heard the horror stories.

Any suggestions for any parts I might swap out to get it running the best or should I just take it out and give it a try first? Experiences, comments?

On a more exciting front the Form 4 for my full-auto M1919A4 Saginaw should be coming in soon! Boo-ya! And this one will be the real deal (or really close to it.)

Cool Beans, they are FUN!

The ammo lasts a little longer. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

You might seriously consider swapping out the mag catch for one that is already modified or doing the mods yourself. See the FAQ section, on the how to.

Feeding seems to be one of the real bugs, and that little change makes quite a difference. Then you can buy GI mags at a lower cost than the modified ones that Kahr sells.

Kahr supposedly produced one for me then backed out and said that one didn't meet their quality control

Oh lord...even if I can get by the Oxymoron of Kahr Quality Control, how bad must that gun have been to not meet their standards.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Seriously... I hope it's a great gun and you have many years enjoying it..

Liberator,

Congrats! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif I've seen the ads for Kahr's SBR but never heard from anyone who has one. Can you post some pics or comment on fit and finish? Thought about buying a Kahr SBR a while back but ended up coming across a WH M1 at a good price so I did the form 1 SBR route on that one instead.

Regarding shooting it, if it were me I'd go out and blast away! Wouldn't personally see any reason to change parts unless it doesn't run. Have fun, and by all means, keep us posted.

marks

QUOTE (marks @ Jan 13 2005, 02:31 AM)
Liberator,

Congrats! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif I've seen the ads for Kahr's SBR but never heard from anyone who has one. Can you post some pics or comment on fit and finish?

Sure I'll post some pics etc. Funny thing is, it's supposed to be the M1 but they shipped it with the vertical forgrip!??! Man, those guys weren't paying attention. Hope that doesn't speak to the guts of it. Horizontal foregrip is in the mail to me, though.

Amazingly enough, the fit and finish seems to be really nice! I'm pretty impressed by it. Even my Class III dealer thought it was nice (and he has a lot of cool stuff.) Laid it next to the real deal and, apart from some minor contours, it's pretty damn close. Oh yeah, people weren't kidding when they said those springs are strong! Sheesh.

Since I have a bunch of different types of .45 laying around I'll make a note of what seems to run the best. Heck, I can polish a feed ramp if I need to.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif Great; How neat it is; The next MG Shoot at Knob Creek, you must bring it and go thru the 'Jungle Walk'. Of course we will tape one eye shut, and and tie one arm to your side, to see how you compete against the FAs in the course.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif .............It's a jw out there !..........jw

Liberator,

A Dave Janowski spring and buffer kit will solve the hard spring tention problem. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

For about $50, it's worth it! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Installs in seconds with no modification to the gun.

Enjoy!

Got a range report for ya. First 8 or 10 rounds fired and extracted well but I had to manually cycle it to chamber the next round. Not unexpected since I'd heard that those springs are so strong. After that it only failed to chamber maybe 4 or 5 rounds out of the nexy 200 or so I fired. I shot Winchester ball, wad cutter, and some CCI Blazer ball and there were no differences b/w each type. Functioned great and since I can rapid fire at this range I could really get the feel of what the Thompson is all about! I had to start leaning into it. Seem pretty accurate as well. Trigger is pretty crappy though. Heavy and not at all smooth on let up but ok.

Now, the bad. Rear site worked all 4 of its screws loose and I lost one. Front sight has now rotated about 4 or 5 degrees to the right (it's in with a hexhead screw I think) and the bar that extends out of the safety actually fell out!

Looks like I have some feedback to Kahr but my worst fears did not come true. I have no problem in chambering, firing, and extracting now and that's all that really worried me after hearing the horror stories. Seems like the other problems are cosmetic and the guys doing the final build just aren't paying attention.

All in all, for less than 1/10th the price of the real deal, I got a damn fun little Thompson! I feel sorry for my wife, though. This one experience has made up my mind. I must have the real one someday. I've got the disease! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Thanks for the range report Liberator. Sounds like nothing's wrong that isn't fixable.

I had to laugh a little bit (not at your expense) but your notes about the sights coming loose and a screw going away reminded me of an outing with an AM180 I use to have where I was always 'fixing' something. One day after dealing with repeated jams I removed the drum and the feed block just fell off. The look on my face was apparently priceless. Now when equiptment breaks down due to 'use' it's affectionately referred to (by shooting buds and I) as "the wheels are coming off" time to put it away.

QUOTE (marks @ Jan 17 2005, 02:38 AM)
I had to laugh a little bit (not at your expense) but your notes about the sights coming loose and a screw going away reminded me of an outing with an AM180 I use to have where I was always 'fixing' something. One day after dealing with repeated jams I removed the drum and the feed block just fell off. The look on my face was apparently priceless. Now when equiptment breaks down due to 'use' it's affectionately referred to (by shooting buds and I) as "the wheels are coming off" time to put it away.

Ha! I had a similar day with an M1 carbine. Stupid gas system just wasn't putting out the power. Failure to feed, partial feeds, failure to extract, etc. So frustrating as I was trying educate my buddies on WWII weapons. Of course, then I broke an extractor! Time to put it away, smile, and thank the man above that I was just firing at the range and no one was shooting back!

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976503831.htm

Kimber Super

Wanna suggestion? Send it back... if you had paid $1552.00 (1352.00 MSRP +200.00 Stamp)for a rifle by a reputable gunmaker like this Kimber (selling on GunsAmerica for 1699.00) and the rear sights fell apart , and the front sight rotated, and part of the safety fell off and it wouldn't function properly, would you take it to another individual to make it work right????? Would you say it's a Fun Little Kimber? No.. We would be swept away by the speed of the truck taking it back.

That's my suggestion..

I think Liberator was taken away from the overall appearance and handling of his newly acquired Thompson, and perhaps forgave it's shortcomings when the problems occurred.

I can understand that..I've done that too, and it's cost me nothing more than $$$.

Learning from my past mistakes, I'd send it back to Karh. Have them make it right!

All this talk about Karh Quality has really gotten me angry. WH produced Junk, and now Karh is carrying on their old tradition. I think we should ALL email them a Nasty Gram. Let's tell them what WE really think! I intend to do just that. Enough of this Horse Shit...

There is absolutely NO excuse in this day and age for producing bad Drums and Guns. Hell Man, look at the Original Colt "L" Drums of yesteryear? With the Modern Equipment available today, one would think a superior product could be produced, but that's not the case with Kahr. They are bent on manufacturing pieces of shit, and will continue to do so.

Unless we make OUR voices heard, Kahr isn't going to change a damn thing.

I also just purchased a new Kahr manufactured gun. All the problems so far are cosmetic with the unfinished mag well and a few lines that are wavy and poorly machined. I will shoot it and see if I have any problems with the functioning of it. I will also take some pictures of the problem areas and post them for all to ponder over. I guess today everything is about production and not pride of workmanship like the originals.

Just another tidbit of information. I purchased a m1 semi copy in 1995 and it had a machined trigger and a smooth finish, it also appeared to have some modified GI parts including the bolt. My new 2004 Kahr has a cast trigger in it with a rough finish and a newly manufactured bolt. FYI for those interested in the wonderful new changes to the new production semi.

bneer72,

You hit the nail on the head!

Its not only in guns but in just about everything, the way of the world if you will. Make it, make it quick, and turn a profit. The days of the craftsman are pretty much gone.

Sure there are a few artisans left, but at a premium.

I sold pet supplies for 28 years, and saw many products that should have never left the draftsman's table

Yes, I own a Kahr 27, and it at one time did suffer the same problems. I remember how my heart sank when after 3 rounds it jammed. Had the same problems with several Colts!

Union labor, and the fact that no one cares anymore. Get it made, and get the check.

I also agree that at almost 1k they should function out of box.

The Kahr, and Colts all work great now, but for an additional premium.

I reality it not just Kahr, its life in general.

Some of Colt's pistols have plastic triggers.

I wonder if HK would be interested in manufacturing Thompson's? Bet the price would double!

I wonder if HK would be interested in manufacturing Thompson's? Bet the price would double!

IF HK produced these, they would be twice as much, and would be WORTH every penny at that! All a Kahr Semi is, is an OVERPRICED Jenning's http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

May heaven bless your silver tongue, Mr. Lionhart. Whatever can be the reason why so many give so much slack to Kahr? Do their products give off fumes that soften the brain and impair logic, or what?

Well hell Phil, like I said. We ALL need to get involved and make damn sure Kahr turns their operation around for the better. If not, nothing will ever change. Fumes? HA! Perhaps they do. As far as my Silver Tongue. I do what I can.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

QUOTE (LIONHART @ Jan 19 2005, 04:28 PM)

IF HK produced these, they would be twice as much, and would be WORTH every penny at that! All a Kahr Semi is, is an OVERPRICED Jenning's http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

LOL, but HK would only do it if they could place their mark on it....

Perhaps an Edsel!

A little update, I sent them a nasty-gram and they're mailing out the correct wood and hardware as well as the screws. As far as the other stuff goes, I have all the gunsmithing tools and I'll enjoy staking the front sight (or whatever it comes to.) I really enjoy working on guns.

Ya know, sending it back would mean me sending it back to the morons that screwed it up in the first place and I know damn well I can do a better job myself. The action works just fine and that's the big one! But, yeah, they suck and shouldn't be rewarded for making a low-quality product.

Oh, and you should all know I'm not a total idiot; I bought a semi A1918 BAR from Ohio Ordnance http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif Now that's a quality piece of hardware!

Edited by Liberator

If it makes you feel any better here are the problems I had with my Semi when I got it in 1999: Hold on to your boots

- First day at the range, clearly a problem, gun shot 2 Feet to the left at 25 yards. Let me type that again so you don't think I made an error. 2 FEET to the left at 25 yards. The barrel was not straight. When you looked at it you could see the final 5 inches or so were noticeably bent.

- Same day, front site skewed to the left.

- Same day, 3 of the 4 screws fell out of the site, and I lost 1

Gun went back to Kahr, got it back with a new barrel fairly quickly

Next trip to the range

- Shot right on target

- Rear screws fell out again, lost 1

- Front site went to the left again

- Bolt shattered. Yep, right down the extractor channel. Just shattered like pot metal.

Gun went back to Kahr, along with many nasty grams

Gun came back fairly quickly, along with many emails from Kahr explaining that it is right this time

- They were right, the gun shot and function perfectly

- Site screws came loose. I was watching this time however. I tried every locktite (working my way up the power scale). I had to finally resortto the most powerful one on. that worked.

Today my rifle is the bomb. I love it. I have many, many guns and I shoot this the most, but what a hassle.