Baby Face Nelson Replica Colt Mini Submachine Gun

No, that's not the one I made on display now. ( I don't think ) Mine were almost clones to the one that Joe Pinkston had in his Nashville , IN museum. The one I had was on display at the old Hammond, IN. Visitors center, I got a photo of it there sometime.

Edited by OCM

Wow...I wonder if the unsuspecting public knows that the CP museum's wooden gun isn't the real one? The way it's displayed, it's intended to be...I didn't see a "replica" sign anywhere on it.

Sandy, it's awesome having an 'inside guy' like yourself, who can set the records straight and give us the straight dope on this JD stuff! :)

Rob

The sign under the current display just tells the story of what happened- The public assumes that's the one.

Same thing has happened to the Dillinger Essex I owned, now the public thinks they've seen John Dillinger's car that was used to escape after a bank robbery. I've even seen a news report with a Mayor of a town saying the same thing !!!

John barely drove the car, it was shot at in St Paul, he only had it for 2-3 weeks- Now it's a bank robbery car-

Same with other stuff, Bonnie's tam displayed as having a bullet hole- I guess age rot and bullet holes are the same, Dillinger's Derringer from Tucson etc., etc.

How it is Pal-

Edited by OCM

Arch-

You applied for the AOW, if so, how long ? I'm at 4+ weeks now pending. Guessing mid January 2016. Any issues you've run into ?

CJL told me they called him to find out what he was planning, then a OK.

Adding a forward grip on a pistol is not that uncommon.

CJL has said it really was rather accurate too, with the front grip. ( + cool factor)

Ouch- I got to send $200.00 to the government, oh lucky me. I'm retired, why the hell not-

• 2 weeks later...

haven't been able to post for about 2 months.. stupid flash player issues galore.

Place down the road sells bunch of weirdo stuff ( damaged food, ninja weapons ) . One thing they sell are zinc 1911 airsoft copies around $16 . I'm going to pick one up and make a display/prop model with the vertical grip.

For months I've been looking all over for a beater plain jane 1911 , still no luck . I still plan on going the sbr route on mine vs aow so i can put one of those wire stocks on it.

There was a guy on YouTube that made a FA Airsoft one. Mock up I had, did not fire.

I'm just in a waiting game at this point. CJL is helping us with some parts, went pending Nov 20, 2015, probably still a month+ out on that.

OCM

Hummmmm.....good point , there . An AOW and a SBR are both $200 tax to make . I like the detachable stock idea . And I've got all these Colt 1991s now . And when I cleaned out all my safes to put the stuff in the dark rear sections up for sale , I discovered a Taylor 28 rd drum I had picked up for a hundred or so for giggles and laughs . Never had tried it . Put it up for sale for $400 ( going price ) at the Nov. show . Didn't sell , so I found info on how to use it on the net and took it out . Darn thing works perfect . Might be ideal for this.

Chris

At least for my project ( Nelson/Lebman ) gun I can't do a rear stock but it is an interesting thought. The guy at Big Sandy that had the FA 1911, it had a removable stock. You can You Tube it being fired.

Seems like if you did a SBR on a 1911 with an added ( removable) rear stock, you could mount a forward front grip without any issues as it's already a two handed weapon=rifle .

OCM

That would be correct . There is a hierarchy in the groupings , and a SBR trumps a AOW . It's like a 40 MM AA gun is a cannon ,but is registered as a MG because that trumps a DD .

There is the Numrich kit that was out that had a wood butt that attached to the mainspring housing ala Canadian Browning Hi Power . Could be attached or removed or the housing could be switched out at will .

Chris

Edited by emmagee1917

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Talked to California John Lebman, some of the parts he's helping with, are about ready. I've got some stuff here too or coming in next week.

About to replicate the Lebman " baby machine gun" as the press called it, waiting for government approval.

All I got to report-

OCM

Wow...I wonder if the unsuspecting public knows that the CP museum's wooden gun isn't the real one? The way it's displayed, it's intended to be...I didn't see a "replica" sign anywhere on it.

Sandy, it's awesome having an 'inside guy' like yourself, who can set the records straight and give us the straight dope on this JD stuff! :)

Rob

Sandy is THE BEST when it comes to Dilly and collecting! Lots of pointers from him or from following him re my collection on Capone,

Rob

Sandy is THE BEST when it comes to Dilly and collecting! Lots of pointers from him or from following him re my collection on Capone,

That's what I admire about both of you guys, Mario...it's like being on the "inside track" when it comes to learning about JD and AC. I used Sandy's knowledge, and your awesome website, when I made my "gangster vacation" last September to Indiana and Chicago....the info you guys have was priceless in finding all of the historical sights.

Speaking of which...I just realized I haven't posted my photos of the trip, like I said I would....I've been so busy with life and holidays these last few months, I've really got to get these posted up. ;)

Rob

i spent $16 on an all zinc airsoft copy today. other than the weight and fake grips a few feet away you cant tell .

I figure, i'll make a compensator for it and tap the front end for a forward grip + add real grips and give it a proper paint job.

getting my other house ready to go on the market so doing a real sbr 1911 is going to have to wait a little.

Got some parts from the master of H.S. Lebman gunsmithing, California John Lebman.

Starting to fit some external parts prior to the arrival ( still waiting ) of the tax stamp.

Coming along great-

OCM

Edited by OCM

Frank, thanks, gun is here, just got some parts from CJL. It sits, waiting for tax stamp so I can install the grip hanger on the frame, engraving, then legal and move forward. Frustrating, like waiting for the stamp for our NFA stuff.

How it goes.

Consulting with California John Lebman on each minor & lengthy step. Interesting project.

Won't do the engraving till approval or the grip hanger mounting of course. So we wait.

Edited by OCM

Sandy,

I'd be interested in how your mounting the front grip and the barrel mods?

Is it a 6" barrel with a custom comp? Does anyone sell this style comp?

Another great project you have going, somewhat similar to the modified 1907 351.

I may do both of these someday, I've got to many irons in the fire now.

Darryl

Darryl.

The grip is being fitted on a custom grip mount like the one designed on a Thompson. This will be attached to the frame, after form 1 approval.

The gun is a standard U.S. Army 1911 frame. The compensator is also custom made for the gun, replaces the barrel bushing.

All being cloned from the original H.S. Lebman design, 1933-1934, by CJL.

CJL & I are kinda in cahoots on building Lebman type weapons. He's a Hot Rod builder too, as a car guy you'll understand the quality he can do.

Basically I am just mounting a wood front grip on a 1911 frame with a sexy Lebman style muzzle break and sending in 200 bucks for the opportunity to do so. I know you understand that too.

Also holding a Colt 45 1911 with two hands should improve target practice.

CJL has already made one, holding my hand thru the process.

A lot of hand work and fitting ( ouch) and patience in my shop.