West Hurley "C" Drums

Considering saving up my pennies and maybe buying one of these C drums. What have you all been buying them for lately? Are they hard to come by? And, what is the basic rate Merle charges to bring them up to GWO?

I have owned several. Most won't fit, unless made to fit. Many folks have complained that they don't feed right on FA. Prices range from $1000.00 to $2000.00, with the majority of prices between $1400.00-$1600.00. I think the rebuilding cost is around $300.00 or so.

I saw 2 new West C drums at the Ohio Gun Collectors show this weekend. Each guy was asking $1,000.00. I passed. It will cost $300.00 - $400.00 to get it fixed. Watch the price come down if the high cap mag law expires. (wishful thinking?)(the law expiring, I mean). 4 or 5 new Westy L drums, asking $500.00 - 600.00. New XL drum (39) at $450.00. One USED New York (Colt) L drum, asking $1,300.00.

Recently traded a modern C3 firearm for a vintage Thompson. The Thompson came with some magazines and one was a serial numbered West Hurley C drum. I loaded/unloaded the drum several times and was not satisfied with the functioning of the rotor (did not actually fire from the drum). I sent the drum to Merle for tune-up (cost a little less than $300). Merle tested the drum after completing the work and reported that it worked fine in a 28 model. I told him that I would be shooting the drum in a 21 so he wouldn't say that it definitely would work fast enough for the 21. I test fired the drum this weekend but only had time to run it once. The drum fits snugly in the gun with no rattle. Some people may like this but I prefer the rattle that you get with the L drums. There was ONE (only one) instance when the bolt went forward on an empty chamber. I put 15 clicks on the spring when winding. This may be an indication that the 21 is too fast for the spring in the drum or that a couple of more clicks may be needed. I would like to do some more testing before I make any assumptions. I would also like to test with a 28 actuator/spring.

I like the C drum and if I hadn't got one in the trade would probably have to purchase one. $1,000 for the drum plus $300 for a good function/reliability job, is a lot more affordable than $4,000 - $5,000 for a Colt C.

A C drum is a "got to have" Thompson accessory, be it an original or a late production.

I don’t know what Merle would say about his springs, but 15 clicks is pushing it I think. I would run it a few times in a 28 to break it in a little and then go the to the 21; I bet it is better after a bit of use.

Afterthought: a click is ¼ of a turn. The rear plate rivets on some WH drums are sharp and will “click” when the stop spring snaps over them as well as the stops in the can. This will give a click about every 1/8 turn. For 1921, wind to 11 “real” clicks (2 ¾ turns).

My WH C drum has the "extra" clicks which PK describes. Around 11 "real" clicks and the drum works great after the work Merle did on the drum. There is no question the fun is in the C drum...

Thanks for the info PK. I did notice the "smaller clicks" when I was winding but really only counted the "big" clicks. Merle suggested that I follow the directions (he provided a copy of the original West Hurley instruction sheet) on the instruction sheet. I will try less clicks next time just to see how it performs. The drum was/is brand new so it may need to be broken-in.

Please let me add my accolades to Merle's great work. I purchased a West Hurley " C " drum last year and only recently had Merle get it up to running speed. It ran 100 rds, non-stop, straight through my 1928-A1 Savage without a problem. The only problem was trying to stop smiling so much!!!!!!!

Randy

Norm:

Thanks so much! And you won't need her for that long? I can assure you I cannot afford to feed it for that amount of time. I promise lots of stills and movie clips...