Sarco Bm59 Parts Sets

MRJ

Sarco advertises their $595.00 BM59SL parts sets as being in very good condition with nice bores. If anyone has purchased one of these sets, it would be interesting to know some specifics on these sets such as:

Is the condition as advertised?

Is the muzzle brake included?

Is the stripper clip guide (part of receiver) included?

Any IHC or HRA parts in set?

Setback M1 barrel used or new Beretta barrel?

Any information on these sets is appreciated.

MRJ

Judging by the lack of responses, you could call Sarco. Just make sure you are able to get past the girls on the phone and speak to someone who knows what they're talking about. FYI, Reese Surplus has new Beretta-built Garands in 7.62x51 for $1250.

Mrj,

I have purchased the set you describe . The condition is not that good ! Yes I recieved mostly Garand parts H&R . Gas cylinder was garand ,op rod was cut down Garand .Barrel was Beretta I believe .Yes a the muzzle brake was included . The stripper clip guide is not included ! the stock I recieved was cracked and had to be sent back for a replacement ! The trigger group was a Springfield Armory That had been converted by Beretta and had a PB mark as well as the Springfield one . I would recommend that you just buy what you nee from Reese ,I think you would get better parts and surely be cheaper as well ! I do regret my purchase http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif . I hope this helps .........Mike

FalFan and mikebaker- Thanks for your replies.

mikebaker- Sorry to hear about your parts set. At double the $300 price Old Sacramento Armoury charged a few years ago, I probably would have expected a better set than you received. Are you planning to build a BM59 clone or a 7.62 NATO Garand with the parts kit ? A previous topic I started concerned the M1 receiver work once done by Bland Firearms. Looking at Bland's price - if they still convert receivers- and the cost of the Sarco kit, one would have over $1100 invested in a BM59E/SL without even considering the M1 receiver cost. The cost might be less if one had the experience and equipment to do the receiver conversion himself.

I wonder if Sarco is selling many of these BM59 parts sets.

MRJ

What I would like to do is start making all (or most of) the necessary parts needed for the conversion so a person could take a standard M1 Garand set and, with the parts I'd have made, make a BM59. If anyone can advise on which parts would be needed (less barrel and receiver) let me know.

It seems Beretta 7.62 Nato barrels are inexpensive enough, perhaps the op rod. What else is needed?

Boeboe -

Beretta lists 20 new pieces for the conversion. Not including the barrel, buttplate assembly, gas cylinder, gas cylinder screw, and selective fire components we are left with the following for a BM59SL/E conversion from an M1:

1. Rear magazine catch including pin and spring (Must modify trigger

housing and safety spring)

2. Front magazine catch assembly including 2 small pins, a spring, and an

8mm pin

3.Operating rod spring tube (Not advertised by Reese)

4. Cartridge clip guide (Available from Reese but not advertised)

5.Bolt hold open including spring

6.Muzzle brake (Optional- If used requires BM59 gas cylinder plug or M1

Plug with OD turned down at end to clear brake)

7. Magazine assembly

Parts to modify include receiver, op rod(if setback 7.62 barrel is used), extractor, bolt, trigger housing and stock.

MRJ