Lost Another Wwii Vet

I lost my father last friday. He was a WWII veteran. An officer in 327th Glider Infantry Battalion of the 101st Airborne Division. He was a good solider, a good man and a loving father. He raised five children and gave us Catholic school educations while living on one meager income. Unshelfish to the end. We shall miss him dearly. Thanks Nick,

Sincerely, Chris Holtzclaw

You have my deepest sympathy Chris. I didn't know him, but I would say from knowing you, he must be a great man. If you need to talk, just give me a call. And they are never gone as long as you have a memory of them. I lost my father 19 years ago, and still everyday think of the fun we had.

Godspeed to him.

Condolonces to you and your family. Don't let his memories and good times go with him.

Ken

Chris

Real sorry to hear about your father that he passed away. A WWII Vet, a father,husband he led a full and rewarding life . He will be missed I'm sure.

God Bless

Tino

Chris,

Best wishes, we will allways remember them all.

Z

Chris-

I am so sad to hear this. I really believe what Pathfinder says: your father lives on in you. He sounds like a hell of a guy and gave his all for you, your family and our country.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Chris.

Chris:

Please allow me to add my sympathy, prayers, and all good thoughts to what the other good folks here have written. Though the end of life is certain, your experience with this is your personal loss. I had the good fortune of working with my father for many years; I think and dream of him quite often (he passed in 1987).

Your Pop is a true hero. He'll live on as such in your memories. We support you and salute him.

Chris,

May I add my condolences as well,..losing a parent is something very hard,...take joy in the time you had together..my father past in 1956 and I still think of him everyday...

Chris,

Deepest Sympathy to you and your family.

Jim

Chris,

My sympathy on your loss. My father is 81 and is also a veteran of the ETO in WWII. Your description of your Dad as "unselfish" hits home with me. It certainly describes not only the sacrifices these men made 60 years ago, but how they lived their lives when they returned. It certainly gives me pause to reflect upon how I conduct my life.

I want to thank you all for your kind words. My daddy lived a full life of almost 85 years. I am sure he had no regrets and neither do I. It was an honor and privilege to take care of him in his later years. Our parents took care of us when we where young and it is our responsibilty to return the favor. If not for them none of us would be here. Thanks again from the bottom of my heart. Chris

Chris, my deepest sympathies to you and your family...

Your father's generation is one that is respected and admired for sacrifices and sense of duty and honor.

Your description of your father really hit home to me...My father is 81, fought alongside the British Army in Burma against the Japs in a proud Sikh Indian Army Unit. He left the old country in '63 to go to England and had to work 2 years to save up enough money to send for my mom and 2 eldest brothers...From there, hard work and a sense of family, led to a successful family business and a move to the States. My dad stressed education and made sure we were educated, something he lacked but never allowed to hinder him. He is a kind, gentle, principled and devoted father and husband who is an absolute inspiration to me, so I feel your loss acutely. Someone here spoke the truth, he will never truly leave you and will always speak to you.

My father is responsible for my interest in Thompsons. He told me of someone in his Unit who won a Victoria Cross named Gian Singh. Gian Singh charged a Japanese machine gun nest armed with his British Tommy. He was 24 years old, and a Naik in the 15th Punjab Sikh Regiment, Indian Army during the Second World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

On 2 March 1945 on the road between Kamye and Myingyan, Burma (now Myanmar), where the Japanese were strongly positioned, Naik Gian Singh who was in charge of the leading section of his platoon, went on alone firing his tommy gun, and rushed the enemy foxholes. In spite of being wounded in the arm he went on, hurling grenades. He attacked and killed the crew of a cleverly concealed anti-tank gun, and then led his men down a lane clearing all enemy positions. He went on leading his section until the action had been satisfactorily completed. Only then did he allow medics to tend to his wounds.

Your father typifies this spirit and is a brother in spirit to all of the proud men of that generation. Once again, my deepest sympathies....

I wish to send my condolences on the loss of your father. You can mourn the loss, and at the same time celebrate the wonderful time you shared with him. May God bless you and your family.

Scott

Chris--

I know how it feels to lose a father and a veteran. My dad is so much a part of who I am, I can still hear him talk. I love what the guys said and it's true! Your father truely lives on in the lives he touched, and most importantly, in you. He took pride in his country and family. Keep these things close.

Chris, you have my sincere sympathy and empathy. My dad was a WWII veteran too, PTO. He died in 1991. I live in a small town in upstate New York and it seems more WWII vets than usual are moving on this year. They served their country and tried (or maybe it was just who they were) to lived honorable lives. God bless them all and The United States of America. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Regards, Walter