Shotshell Mags

Anyone have any idea where I can find one of these? I only need 1 - and it need not be in great shape.

Also - were there any made for wartime use? Or should all of them be like the patent date - but with the 18 shotshell stamped on them?

Can't help you on finding one, but don't be surprised if you have to part with a fair amount of $$. The last price I saw on one was $600. That's a bit rich for my blood.

My understanding is that the shot mags were only pre-WWII, probably only in the 1920's. They were a relative bust for both the shot cartridges and the Remington-Thompson cartridges (see the latest TCN, #155). That's probably the reason that it is not uncommon to find them with little usage wear. According to the article in TCN #130 - August 15, 2001, there were three versions: a blank mag; a patent date version marked "FOR SHOT CARTRIDGES"; and a patent date version marked "FOR 18 SHOT CARTRIDGES". As you are probably aware, each is slightly deeper than the standard XX mag.

Roger

Thanks Roger,

My books are at home, and I just made a deal for about 20 or more cartridges in with a whole mess of .45 ammo. I should have waited but my previous post about what they look like had Deerslayer reply showing a WWII cartridge (look at the headstamp). That is why I was asking if a WWII mag may have existed.

I purchased one several months ago from Jerry Prasser for $600. - he may still have one left. His phone is 920 922-1515 - great person to deal with.

WOW!

Too steep for me too at this time. I assume that comes with a box or two of the shotshells!

Any idea what the individual shells are going for?