Thompson Smg Movie List Update

While recovering from my recent surgery I find alot of spare time on my hands.

So I took it upon myself to go through the Movies on TV looking for Thompsons.

Its amazing how many there are.. Here are a few not on the site's list. I will add

them to the list but thought I would post them here for everyone's enjoyment.

Heroes of Telemark (1965)

Kirk Douglas and a few others sneak up on a heavy water plant carrying M1928A1s with 20rd magazines.

Buy it at Amazon.com

Heroes of Telemark

Battleground (1950)

Van Johnson and the 101st Airborne hold the Nazis out of the strategic crossroads.

James Whitmore (of “THEM!” fame) as “Sgt Kinnie” uses a M1928A1. Favorite scene is Whitmore, who was a real infantry man in the Philllipines in 44/45, pops up out of a foxhole and lets rip at advancing Germans. He also leads a flanking movement of sorts against the advancing Nazis.

I am quite shocked this one was not already listed.

Buy it at Amazon.com

Battleground

Desert Fox (1951)

The opening scene is a group of commandos are making an attempt to kill Rommel at a sea side villa. They are using M1928A1s w/30 rd magazines. I don’t think the magazines are soldered closed though.

Buy it at Amazon.com

Desert Fox

Beach Red (1967)

Directed by Cornel Wilde, this is one disjointed movie. One of the marines uses a M1A1 with a compensator. I kid you not.

Death Race 2000 (1975)

Sylvestor Stalone as Chicago gangster Machine Gun Joe Viterbo shoots blanks at the crowd with a M1928A1.

Immortal Battalion (1944)

A M1928A1 makes a brief appearance at the obstacle course.

Anzio (1968)

Robert Mitchem and Colombo Peter Falk invade Italy. Several M1A1s are used.

Buy it at Amazon.com

Anzio

Operation Petticoat (1959)

Two MPs board the Pink Submarine with M1928A1s looking for a stolen pig.

Buy it at Amazon.com

Darby's Rangers]Operation Petticoat

Darby’s Rangers (1957)

Rangers hitting the beach at Anzio use M1928A1s.

Buy it at Amazon.com

Darby's Rangers

The Silencers (1966)

Dean Martin as “Matt Helm” serves I.C.E. and liberates a M1928A1 from the bad guys.

Never So Few (1959)

Frank Sinatra uses a Thompson against the Japanese in Burma.

Buy it at Amazon.com

Never So Few

I have at least 4 more weeks of "recovery", so I will keep my eyes open for more.

Cheers Lads,

Don't forget "Kellys Hero's", and The Mask. (Remember he is making balloon figures and says "And now my Favorite! A Tommygun!")

There is also Saving Private Ryan, Pearl Harbour, Mobsters, and even one of the original Star Trek episodes. Seeing as how it is the most recognizable firearm in history, I think a complete list would be rather long. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

It also appears in several of the newer games based on World War II. It's in Medal of Honor, and Battlefield 1942, as well as the expansion packs for those games. A new game called Call of Duty comes out this month, and shooting the Thompson as well as the other guns is very realistic with muzzleflash, rate of fire, sound of fire, recoil, aiming, and magazine changes all being simulated rather well.

Hope your recovery goes well!

Also, not on the list:

Movie - "High Sierra" - Looks like a '21 but may be a '28 - Bogey's line, "The gun just went 'rap-rap-rap' (Bogey raps on a table with his knuckle)."

TV - "Superman" (the original series) - Lois Lane talks the bad guys out of their '28 and empties an L drum into the ceiling. Her line, "It's a lot lighter now."

There was "The Devil's Bridage," in which just about everybody, including William Holden, used a Thompson.

This Memorial Day there should be a lot of WWII films on cable. "In Harm's Way," a naval story was playing, and "Midway" is coming up. I saw a glimpse of a Thompson in a trailer for Midway.

I'm sure Guadalcanal Diary is on whatever list we are talking about. In one scene Lloyd Nolan and his roomage are cleaning their 28's. Also look for a scene where they are trying to get the japs out of a hillside cave. I saw what I thought was a Thompson with a strange front sight with curved wings coming up from the compensator.

In Harm's Way one of the Dukes entourage is carrying a 21 with drum and veritcle foregrip.

Of course Windtalkers featured the greatest Thompson Marksman ever. Nick Cage didnt waste one shot as he mowed down the chargeing yellow horde. He started the movei with a drummed 21 or 28 but switched to am M1A1 as I recall.

Best movei quote...

"Give me back my Thompson" Audie Murphy - To Hell and Back.

After my reply about Guadalcanal Diary turned on AMC and it was on. Lots of 28A1 action. Check out the sight on the one in the pic below. Also did you konw the Japs liked a good Thompson? But they only used them in semi-auto mode. Maybe we would only sell them 27A1's.

http://home.att.net/~bill.eldridge/wsb/media/88142/site1003.GIF

http://home.att.net/~bill.eldridge/wsb/media/88142/site1004.GIF

I just remembered the actor's name in Guadalcanal Diary (one of my all time favorite war/Tommygun movies). It's Richard Conti, who also was in another great war film, " A Walk In The Sun", although as a Browning machinegunner. Conti's fellow Capt. (in 'Guadalcanal') was played by the same actor who played the General commanding the 3rd Armored Div. in the movie "The Tanks Are Coming"

(possibly my #1 all time favorite war movie of my youth--which also had at least a couple of good scenes with Thompsons). I believe both are

also available from Amazon.com.

And while we're on the subject, Tom Tryon starred in a great but almost unknown war movie from the 50's ( I finally caught most of it on my Sony Beta recorder, long ago.) It's "Screaming Eagles" and it portrays a group of paratroopers of the 101st AB trapped behind the lines on the morning of D-Day, and their efforts to get back to their fellow troopers.

There's lots of Tommygun shooting and more--a really good war film that deserves to be put out on video.

There's another paratrooper movie from the 50's that had a BUNCH of '28 Thompson action in it, which I also discovered I had recorded on video some time ago. I THINK the title was 'Paratroop Command' or something. Among others, it had Jack Hogan (Kirby from "Combat")and Richard Balalikan(sic?) who starred as paratroopers in the 82nd AB, [The first battle scene was supposed to be in Sicily.] where poor Richard, whose character (oddly enough, named Charlie) mistakenly shoots one of his fellow troopers full of holes with his '28-A1. Jack Hogan's character spends the rest of the movie gritting his teeth and wanting to kill poor Charlie for killing his buddy. ANYWAY, there's another lost and forgotten war movie that ought to be on DVD, even if it was a B-movie.

Charlie

Roland,

In Windtalkers Cage went from an early 28 to a 28A with a smooth cocking knob and stick mags. XXX in a XX pouch. Thinhk he had a C drum in the 28, but the way he fired it the prop guy must have had four or five others loaded on call....

BB