Italian BM 59 Manual

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 The Wizard

The Wizard

• Regular Group
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Years ago when Springfield Armory was selling the BM 59 I contacted the Italian Ministry of Defence to see if they could supply any infomation on the BM 59.  While going through some papers recently I came across their reply form long ago.  For what ever reason all they sent me was a title page from a manual.  That page read: 

ISTRUZIONE

PER LA MAUTENZIONE E CONSERVAZIONE

DELLE ARMI PORTATILI

Fucile Automatico Leggero BM 59 cal. mm 7,62 NATO

(tipo normale - per truppe alpine - per paracaddutisti)

Fucile s. a. Garand cal. mm 7,62 NATO (tipo 1 e 2)

First, what is this manual?  Second, does anyone know where I might obtain an original copy of this manual? Third, does anyone know where I might obtain an Engiish translation of this manual?

#2 ordmm

ordmm

• Regular Group
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

I'm with you for obtaining an actual military manual for the BM59.  The most often seen manual, sometimes seen as a spiral bound book, is more a piece of multi language sales literature.   Interesting and lots of info but not really what we accept as a military manual.  Must be something out there, have asked many, but the cover sheet you provide is the only clue to anything that exists.  One would think that there would also be something printed for the "E" models also.

If you find anything please let us know.

#3 mikebaker1129

mikebaker1129

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

It is the original manuel for the Italian BM59 . They are very rare,obtaining an original would be quite a feat and very expensive. If  a copy will do I may be able to help.  

Sorry but I do not know how to translate Italian

#4 UK Armourer

UK Armourer

• Regular Group
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

Guys,

I recently obtained an original copy of this manual...Give me a little time and I will make a PDF copy of it for distribution (NOT RESALE) within the forum membership.

Cheers,

Vic

#5 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1029 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

UK Armourer:  You Sir, are the man!!!!!

#6 Hal O'Peridol

Hal O'Peridol

• Regular Group
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

Years ago when Springfield Armory was selling the BM 59 I contacted the Italian Ministry of Defence to see if they could supply any infomation on the BM 59.  While going through some papers recently I came across their reply form long ago.  For what ever reason all they sent me was a title page from a manual.  That page read: 

ISTRUZIONE

PER LA MAUTENZIONE E CONSERVAZIONE

DELLE ARMI PORTATILI

Fucile Automatico Leggero BM 59 cal. mm 7,62 NATO

(tipo normale - per truppe alpine - per paracaddutisti)

Fucile s. a. Garand cal. mm 7,62 NATO (tipo 1 e 2)

First, what is this manual?  Second, does anyone know where I might obtain an original copy of this manual? Third, does anyone know where I might obtain an Engiish translation of this manual?

I don't speak Italian,bu I did stay at home last night.....

INSTRUCTIONS

FOR THE MAINTAINANCE AND CARE

OF SMALL ARMS:

BM59 Automatic Rifle, Caliber 7.62 NATO

(Infantry type, Mountain Troop type, Paratrooper type)

Semi Automatic rifle Garand, Type 1 and 2, 7.62 NATO

If anyone else here has suffered through the DLAB test for the US Military, this wasn't too bad.

#7 Greyoz

Greyoz

• Regular Group
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

I grew up in Italy - I served as a medic in the Italian army in the mid 1980s, and the Beretta Garand 7.62 was the first rifle I ever shot!

If UK Armourer provided us with the pdf of the manual, I'd be more than glad to do the translation.

Claudio

PS Hal O'Peridol: great job with your translation! I will just add one more piece of info : "Fucile Automatico Leggero" (which literally translates as "light automatic rifle") is the reason why the BM59 was commonly referred to as the FAL rifle in the Italian Army

#8 Hal O'Peridol

Hal O'Peridol

• Regular Group
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

I grew up in Italy - I served as a medic in the Italian army in the mid 1980s, and the Beretta Garand 7.62 was the first rifle I ever shot!

If UK Armourer provided us with the pdf of the manual, I'd be more than glad to do the translation.

Claudio

PS Hal O'Peridol: great job with your translation! I will just add one more piece of info : "Fucile Automatico Leggero" (which literally translates as "light automatic rifle") is the reason why the BM59 was commonly referred to as the FAL rifle in the Italian Army

Thanks Claudio! Don't know any Italian, but since it is one of the so called "Romance" languages, it was pretty easy to figure out. Also helps that with 12 years active duty US Army, I am fluent in "Training Manual Speak".

#9 The Wizard

The Wizard

• Regular Group
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

UK Armourer,

Any progress on scanning the BM59 manual into a pdf file?

#10 mikebaker1129

mikebaker1129

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Wizard PM sent !

Send me your email address ?

#11 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1029 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

UK Armourer,

Any progress on scanning the BM59 manual into a pdf file?

UK Armourer.  Any progress?

#12 Kenshi

Kenshi

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:ex-Aerospace Engineer, Journeyman Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic and Machinist, Certified Television Repairman, Gunsmith -- 17 years experience, Blacksmith.

Martial Arts, 27 years experience, Instructor, Pomona College, Claremont Colleges. 4th Degree Black Belt - Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do, 4th Degree Black Belt - Itashikata Funzento Kobushi Ryu Jujutsu (Path of the Wrathful Fist - combat empty hand and weapons styles - Modern and Classical), 4th Degree Black Belt Toyama Battojutsu / Santi Ryu Iaijutsu and Kenjutsu.

High Power Rifle and Handgun. Expert Rifleman M-1/M-14 (USN), M-16 (LADC/USAF), Expert Pistol M1911(USN), M9/M10 (LADC/USAF)

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

Gentlemen, any progress scanning the Italian BM59 manual?

#13 The Wizard

The Wizard

• Regular Group
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:53 PM

Kenshi, I sent you a message but you have not responded. Contact me for info.

#14 Devil Dog

Devil Dog

• Regular Group
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:26 PM

Hi guys. Just checking to see of the PDF and translation ever happened.
Paul

#15 The Wizard

The Wizard

• Regular Group
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:33 PM

I have sent PM's to anyone who has asked about the manuals. I have not heard anything back from anyone! As for a translation, (and this is going to sound very bad but DO NOT take it the wrong way) today is not like the "good old days" when you could go down to "Little Italy" and find someone to translate it.

#16 Devil Dog

Devil Dog

• Regular Group
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:00 PM

Wizard,
Email sent.
Paul

#17 Pete

Pete

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:30 AM

Happy New Year Everyone! Does this manual have illustrations? I have the spiral manuals and a couple of the magazines that feature the BM59/62/69 Garand Type E that we all probably have. LOL Just thinking out loud. Thank You to All in advance. Take Care and Be Safe. Have a Happy and Prosperous 2015!!!

#18 mikebaker1129

mikebaker1129

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

Happy New Year Everyone! Does this manual have illustrations? I have the spiral manuals and a couple of the magazines that feature the BM59/62/69 Garand Type E that we all probably have. LOL Just thinking out loud. Thank You to All in advance. Take Care and Be Safe. Have a Happy and Prosperous 2015!!!

Yes it has a few pictures.

#19 mikebaker1129

mikebaker1129

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:53 PM

Gentlemen, any progress scanning the Italian BM59 manual?

Mike send me your email and I will send you a copy.

#20 whiskey6eod

whiskey6eod

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Disabled Veteran, American Legion, VFW and NRA Life Member. Garand Collectors Association. CMP Forum "whiskey6eod".

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:37 AM

Mike - Is this the same manual you sent me a while back?