MP40 on GB not mine

Perfect example of what I mean in reference to the one with the non matching thread protector.

Guy loses thread protector in the field, gets back to base, stops by armorer and gets another one. Now it no longer is "all matching" but it is still 100% original. Because surprise surprise, armorers didn't give a rats rear end about #'s matching. They simply wanted as many usable arms on the field as possible.

"All matching except"? I love statements like that.

one thing i noticed is it has original pouches and 4 mags....from what ive seen those pouches are $650 ? hard to find info on value...i know mags are $100 as Folke has them for $100 in excellent condition....so he has $1k in extras....maybe enough to put a dent into fixing those other original parts....

if his price drops after a few go rounds on GB i may be interested enough to bite....no go at $23 for sure....id expect all the work to be done for that price

Perfect example of what I mean in reference to the one with the non matching thread protector.

Guy loses thread protector in the field, gets back to base, stops by armorer and gets another one. Now it no longer is "all matching" but it is still 100% original. Because surprise surprise, armorers didn't give a rats rear end about #'s matching. They simply wanted as many usable arms on the field as possible.

"All matching except"? I love statements like that.

that thread protector didnt bother me...i did contact the seller on that gun to attempt to make an offer and ask for a few more pics....i think a thread protector is probably the easiest piece to loose and means the least to the gun...but thats just me....i would still consider the gun to be matching #'s when i valued it....i just didnt like the condition of the finish...it looked to be 40% left....or worse

wonder if the seller actually got $19,500 for it....my guess from every GB auction ive won--nope....its always a side deal on a gun thats made a 5 week run w/o bids and suddenly sells with 1 bid

Autoweapons---that guy is on another planet....id really be curious to see how many guns he sells a year...at 2x the prices i guess he sells 2-3 and he makes a living....i do like his guns...for a rich person whom $25k = $0 i can see buying from him to get the very best....

Edited by huggytree

Had two MP-38'S one sold in Illinois and brokered a chrome bring back from L.E.S. to Irv Kahn back around 1980 or so .Had my eye on the Interarms one.

Will never happen the guy will probably live to a 100. Working a deal to buy those MP-38 semi's, Will turn one into a posty full auto and done with it.Spent way too many years buying looking and doing.. getting old and running out of time to keep looking now. And yeah some guys hitting now 70 they are running low on fuel also.

Colt 21A Ron

Ron, I believe autoweapons still has their mp38 bringback for sale for... only 50-60k ;) That might take some time to pay for itself. Only true mp38 Ive ever seen listed in my relatively short time in this hobby, if it is what they say it is. -Andrew So I guess he never went to the slammer for his post sample mistakes? WOW lucky guy there.

looks like lawlessness does pay!

Ron, I believe autoweapons still has their mp38 bringback for sale for... only 50-60k ;) That might take some time to pay for itself. Only true mp38 Ive ever seen listed in my relatively short time in this hobby, if it is what they say it is. -Andrew So I guess he never went to the slammer for his post sample mistakes? WOW lucky guy there.

No kidding Ron!

And Huggy, why not just put the mp40 search on hold for a bit and go after Rubens MP43. Seems nice, and at that price I bet its not a dewat. A little pricey perhaps but its Ruben.

Edited by 83Baron

No kidding Ron!

And Huggy, why not just put the mp40 search on hold for a bit and go after Rubens MP43. Seems nice, and at that price I bet its not a dewat. A little pricey perhaps but its Ruben.

There is another MP43 for sale on sub guns looks nicer than Rubens and is 2k cheaper.

there's one in my family (dewat)....odds are ill get the chance to buy it within the next 10-15 years when he dies....the family is liberal and if they dont destroy it ill be able to purchase it....im actually going to bring it up this Christmas....its missing the bolt, but otherwise its there....not sure of the dewat condition as i have not seen it since i was a kid....im assuming its a legal NFA as he is a pretty lawful guy and has shown it (not hidden in an attic)

i do not wish to bring it up at this point in time that i collect machine guns with most of my family...i may ask if it is for sale for the heck of it....maybe offer $250? probably more than he paid....

big issue with a 43/44 is ammo....i dont want to get involved with another caliber....i DO like the 44....but prefer subguns

as for buying from Ruben....i make a very good living....not good enough to give $2,000-$4,000 away though........and if i get a good deal i may save $6,000+......ive gotten a few great deals, a few decent deals, 1 bad deal.........i prefer to wait for the good deal as long as the quality is there....ive done well over all on quality except for my NIB UZI which is a POS w/ bad welds....being fixed right now....

i dont like seeing prices and knowing i paid $4k more...i like to see prices and know i got it for $1-2k+ less ....most of my collection i could sell for profit....some 10-20% after 1.5 years....all due to getting a decent deal on day 1 and not over paying....

im in no hurry for the MP40.....ive got 4 in jail right now.......ill have new toys coming in 2018

the market seems to be doing a bit better lately....but it still seems mp40's over all sit for 1 month before selling...with some price adjustments....

Edited by huggytree

We circle back to the discussions earlier. I agree it looks nicer in appearance but thats because it is a rewat that looks to have been refinished. To each his own, but from a collector standpoint not as desirable as an original finish gun that hasnt been reactivated. The finish of course being the key point since, as discussed earlier, a well done repair on an original gun doesnt detract much valuewise if at all. Edited by 83Baron

I hear what youre saying. I have one and had thought the same thing as far as caliber is concerned. Fortunately, PRVI 7.92x33 KURZ is generally available so hasnt been an issue, plus not like you are going to be ripping thousands of rounds through it. Just cool to complete the German lineup of primary weapons.

Just reading thru all of this. Every time I post here someone corrects me but the last couple toys I got seem to have appreciated by thousands between when I bought them and when the stamp came. I'm sure that can change any moment. But some of these guns go 40 years between transfers and many never get advertised just passed on to friends and family. If you don't have a arrangement like that cooking already you have no choice but lasso what pops up. I walked away from a Thompson for $6,000 20 years ago, another 10 years ago for $12,000. I never had the funds when I had a deal handed to me. Now there like 20$K and up. In hindsight I shoulda cancelled my beeper, ate Ramen noodles and maxed my credit card on the first one. OK and the 2nd. Ate least when I got a shot at a 3rd I was in a comfy spot finAncially. Wasn't gonna wait for a 4th chance.

I hear what youre saying. I have one and had thought the same thing as far as caliber is concerned. Fortunately, PRVI 7.92x33 KURZ is generally available so hasnt been an issue, plus not like you are going to be ripping thousands of rounds through it. Just cool to complete the German lineup of primary weapons.

No I will shoot thousands through a mp40 a year.

Back to the gun - I have a post sample here that was a single bandsaw cut gun, came from Canada and owner apparently did not know you could not just drive over with your MP-40 and shoot beer cans in deer camp.. I got the gun from a LEA up north . It is a brother to the one for sale - BNZ41, no bolt mod and matching numbers. We put it back together many years ago and shoot the heck out of it. So it would seem that more than a few guns did not get modified.

Huggy wait and ask around and something will turn, While talking this over with another buddy today and another from Germany calls me. And knows I look for stuff. Locates a M42 German helmet from the original troop near Hamburg who had it. and says a correct all there no repaint. or decaled new liner helmet. but all original and in what he calls for war stuff. EXC. PLUS to Minty Cond in a rarely found size 60 extra Large. he knows I like original stuff un messed with. So I tell him ship it.

Sold a bunch in the past all original shells but repaint or new liners and chinstraps or re/decaled. It is pretty hard today to get a all original from the owner late war in that size. so sure no MP-40 but located a nice "Original" Vet German bring back. taken off a living German Soldat. Now back to MP-40 hunting again.

Colt 21A Ron

The machine gun price guide seems to me to be a pretty good indicator on MP40 prices (albeit lagging indicator):

C&R:

http://machinegunpriceguide.com/html/german_subguns_6.html

Tube:

http://machinegunpriceguide.com/html/german_subguns_5.html

There is a lot more variability with the C&R guns, I think for the reasons mentioned in this thread, e.g., condition of gun and some buyers have relatively inelastic demand (perhaps because they have lots of cash to spend for whatever reason). The trend is clearly up.

Robert

What I find interesting is how tube guns for the most part sell for around the same as some C&R guns. Didnt Ruben have a tube gun that sold for 17-18k recently?

$14,999

That seems about right to me. Of course, you might get one for less, and as you can see from the above price guide a tube gun sold for less in June ($12.5K).

A C&R MP40 is going to cost you around $20K now, if not more. Again, you might get one for less if you're lucky.

Depends on who has it what they paid for it was it gifted? was it in family for 50 years. Was it exposed to Lunatic's..Probably 200 or more MP-40'S out there to be found yet in basements, closets, garage spaces.

A guy from Norway just found some stuff and that Paris arms cache they located from some free French fighters buried back in 1945..And I bet there are things even in Canada not found yet. Bought a few P-38's from there brought back by Canadian WW2 vets. All the stuff is still yet to e discovered. Not that long ago a guy who reads this board. contacted me about a MP-40 from gramps WW2 collection, That was found wrapped up in hardened oil rag probably from 1946 in the damp basement, Registered and papers enclosed.

Wanted 5 grand sent me pics. it was toasted rust and even tele spring tube was rusted to bolt.Bakelite looked rat chewed.i said cool item from Gramps keep it and remember him by it, a crusty rusty old MP-40 For a rusty crusty old honored WW2 vet. He said Okay And I never heard from him again.

Colt 21A Ron

I just tried to locate the pics but changed computer about six years ago so that is how long ago the deal was. Pics are gone. It was a east coast guy, Jersey, New York some area maybe Connecticut someplace. It probably is still sitting. I did tell him to really clean it up and unwrap it and take apart before it rots away to nothing.

There was a MP-44 like that also same area. no wood stock. rusted. Told him same deal.....Hey I got my M-42 Original German Helmet out of the forum fun..so all is good. But no MP-40 yet.

Colt 21a Ron

i can point to 3-4 receiver guns that sold from $14,000-$18,000 range in just the past 2-3 months...and a forum member got a tube for $12,000 recently (nice pics).....

i can point to few or no receiver guns over $20,000 sold... Frank claimed $20k on the last one a couple weeks ago.....but thats was his asking...so who knows....he can tell me anything he wants to

ruben has a receiver gun mismatched for $23,000.....but how long has it been there?....Spiwak tube $14,500

there's a tube on subguns for $12,500 right now....seller pretty much refused to give me more pics and got an attitude when i asked for specific pics. even started swearing in his emails about him being unable to get a good pic down the barrel....its been listed for 6+ months according to him..

i have used the machine gun pricing guide myself......and i always send him the prices i paid to help his charts be accurate...but he has admitted to me that he often doesnt really know and uses asking prices....well i can ask $25,000 but never sell....or sell for $20,000 and no one knows....its good for ''general'' rough pricing, but ive often seen it used by sellers to prove their asking prices are correct...then a week later see them drop the price $1,000+ just to sell it....and often--still they sit....

im watching the latest one on GB...seeing if he gets bids or how much he drops his pricing......he's asking for the high end of the spectrum, so if it sits for 4 months or it sells this week i guess we will have an idea what a good military story sells for

Edited by huggytree

Huggy I looked up my two old ones the 43 went to Jerry a Doc in TN for 7 grand ten years ago WOW long time, Restored from the guy who did Jay Leno's cars out of cali. would take a MP-40 MP-38 world wide Guru to know what was done if they could guess at all. it was like Doug Turnbull did the work himself. He did a posty for me over ten years ago maybe longer.

On the 660 Steyr that was 15 grand six years ago. I went through well over 20 MP-40's and MP38's, now much older and not decades to shop around.Once these MP-38'S hit the usa will just post one up and shoot it. have fun on the hunt. Will see what SAR show offers next month, Mostly though at past shows overpriced over worked stuff. mismatched, redone parts or finish. And I am normally not impressed. Yeah it takes a ton to get this guy now out of the gun show chair to look ha ha...

but if I do ITS SOLD!

Colt21A Ron