On this day in history 34 years ago

No one has done it so I will...

On May 19, 1986 the making or registering of new machine guns was BANNED! Forever fixing the number of transferable guns available, since that time prices have continued to rise.
The BIG jump in prices began with the internet, as more and more people became aware of legal machine gun ownership in most states, and demand increased as the supply remained fixed.
Prior to the internet the class 3 community was a lot smaller than it is today, and it seemed most wanted to keep it that way. In 1965 there were a reported THREE class III dealers in the U.S. One of them was the (in)famous Curtis Earl, he is the one (I think) that has reported that number.

The only positive event in recent times has been the elimination of the LE signature, which had been impossible for many to obtain, simply because of the anti-gun opinion of the LE officer in their jurisdiction.

Good Old Days SAR article of $500.00 M16s and $73.00 S&W Model 76 subguns!

https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=3854

Interesting Curtis Earl SAR article

https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=484

And i followed 7 years later in 1972. I think Perry might have been another in 1965 or he was getting busted on a class three charge.Still have my FFLcopy someplace from those days. and the four digit numbers they assigned.

1986 was a dark day.the majority of those today dealing started around that time.

I know very few who are still left from 1972 still kicking and dealing, and the few are already close to 80. as i was the youngster in that group.

Yeah History you can't change all that it already happened. We have a few members here from those day of High Adventure.RON K.

post-504-0-71337700-1589926289_thumb.jpg

The days of High Adventure from the Nick Nolte movie Farewell To The King .one of another favorite i enjoyed among the hundreds i had in my personal stash, and the pic is from Who'll Stop the Rain 1978 another Nam based story which i enjoyed.

In the farewell movie it has Good Thompson and B.A.R. and Bren gun action along with 45 auto's and some good Shotgun action scenes well done for its time from John Milius.

it was the two times Nolte seemed to have fun using guns. And also great music.

The photo you have with that G.I. souv. hunter I have one like it but two Germans someplace picking up Garands and Thompsons small world...and we enjoy it all. Check out both movies. however i am sure you have already seen them like most members here.

even after 6 years in the Corps 1968/74 i never looked that bad.RON K.

P.S. this is from the film.Persons in Hiding. Tracie in the pic is the one hiding, a great shot of some nice 21's.

post-504-0-17603700-1589932157_thumb.jpg

Old Wayne L sure clams up when hes reminded of this too. I told the NRA to stop calling and emailing me begging for money. If they are in such bad shape then tell Wayne to take a pay cut...$980,000 seems like more than enough!

Idk who begs for money worse-the NRA or the Catholic Church.....and yes I belong to both so I can make that comparison

• Upvote 2

All as you say but the glimmer of a bright side of the GCA '68, the second attempt at choking off legal possession of "NFA", was that the idiots who wrote that law failed to understand federal law on making and registering MGs. If they had understood the fed laws, the content of the Hughes amendment of May 19, 1986 would have been enacted in the GCA. Instead there were 18 years of manufacture and registration of all sorts of good stuff that would never have happened.

Consider that it took 18 years and a duplicitous, cheating, conniving congress to "correct" their mistake so how long do you think it would take to accomplish a reversal of Hughes?
Life is lived on borrowed time.

I think that it was Senator Lautenberg who threw that in last minute into a Bill that Reagan Signed???

A President needs the Line Item Veto for Unconstitutional crap like this.

Recently the Chinese Virus Stimulus contains stuff unrelated to the Virus.

Will Firearms Legislation be in the 1,800 page Stimulus Bill that Nazi Pelosi is pushing right now ???

Edited by jojeep

I wish that the MG changes had not occurred on 5/19/86. I was just about to turn 20 at the time, and ended up buying my first machine guns in early 1988. While it set the limit on MG's, it also did some good things. It removed the ammunition sales logging requirement that had existed previously, and enabled shipping ammo through the USPS. The ammo logging requirement was a real pain for both the dealer, and the buyer. The law also created at least a defense to prosecution of interstate transportation of firearms through crappy gun law states. It effectively reined in ATF inspection abuse, and is the basis for preventing a national registry of non-NFA firearms. I also seem to recall that it had a positive effect on surplus firearm imports, but that could have been a regulatory decision around the same time.

Anyway, I have this ironic NRA button from my Dad's collection that I thought might be of interest to the conversation...

IMG_6966.jpg

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• Upvote 1

David,

Ironic is a severe understatement in describing that button.

Thanks for posting.

Most of the current owners don't realize that for 18 years, 1968-86,

in addition to all purchases of ammo: primers, powder, bullets, even empty brass cases -all purchases had to be registered.

Name, address, driver's license.

Ship any of these things to your door? Forget it.

When I tell this to younger shooters in my classes, many don't believe me.

Most of them weren't even buyers during the 94-04 "It's a Crime" bill.

Those who forget history...

Edited by mnshooter

Democrat William Hughes from N.J. snuck in what is now infamously known as the Hughes Amendment into the FOPA

I think that it was Senator Lautenberg who threw that in last minute into a Bill that Reagan Signed???
A President needs the Line Item Veto for Unconstitutional crap like this.
Recently the Chinese Virus Stimulus contains stuff unrelated to the Virus.
Will Firearms Legislation be in the 1,800 page Stimulus Bill that Nazi Pelosi is pushing right now ???

Edited by maxfaxdude

In the current political climate? No way Jose. Political suicide. Not going to happen.

I was hoping we could get it reversed under President Trump.

Maybe in his 2nd term?

It was a solution for a non-existent problem.

Maybe in his 2nd term?

I learned along time ago to watch what people do instead of what they say:

1. Bump stock Executive Order (I'm not a fan of bump stocks but the longstanding position of BATF was it did not constitute a machinegun under the 1934 NFA, and it's simply nothing more than an inanimate object).

2. "I don't like silencers" after Jr. promoted them on SilencerCo prior to election and led us to believe better times were coming.

3. What happened to national concealed carry, which should have been passed the first two years of the Trump administration.

4. Ditto Hearing Protection Act.

A lot of broken promises for someone who claims to be our best friend.

What do you think he will do if he does not have to worry about reelection if his prior stated position was he didn't like "assault weapons," (i.e., AR-15s, etc.).

I know my friends from those who claim to be my friends, and will spend my money accordingly and vote the same (of course the problem is there isn't a good alternative--not good).

Edited by Robert Henley

I'm more worried about what that unhinged POS will do between Nov 3 and Jan 20 if he loses the election, an outcome that seem more and more likely. He's a huge believer in carrying out a scorched earth policy against any and all that he perceives as having crossed him. If he loses that means the entire populace but especially those who he thinks failed to support him as they should have.

I cant believe how some of you folks think. I am old and have learned who is on my side and the ones that want to take my rights away.

Frank

Maybe we can move this to the off topic forum since the liberals are chiming in

Yes, liberals on this site seems to be a strange phenomenon.

i guess they'd rather have Biden in the White House.

Better move to the off topic forum!

Maybe in his 2nd term?

I learned along time ago to watch what people do instead of what they say:

1. Bump stock Executive Order (I'm not a fan of bump stocks but the longstanding position of BATF was it did not constitute a machinegun under the 1934 NFA, and it's simply nothing more than an inanimate object).

2. "I don't like silencers" after Jr. promoted them on SilencerCo prior to election and led us to believe better times were coming.

3. What happened to national concealed carry, which should have been passed the first two years of the Trump administration.

4. Ditto Hearing Protection Act.

A lot of broken promises for someone who claims to be our best friend.

What do you think he will do if he does not have to worry about reelection if his prior stated position was he didn't like "assault weapons," (i.e., AR-15s, etc.).

I know my friends from those who claim to be my friends, and will spend my money accordingly and vote the same (of course the problem is there isn't a good alternative--not good).

Last I recall, all of these things need to come through congress first? Congress has been run by liberals since the day he took office (and I'm including Paul Ryan as a now out of the closet liberal and he had me fooled for many years). If you think the chubby old lady wearing two girdles and calling the other guy obese is going to pass the hearing protection act and allow us to exercise our constitutional rights I think you are dreaming? The NY gov. is literally handing out death sentences to thousands of people and gets no criticism at all? After watching all this I now see how easy it must have been to get people to walk into the showers?

As for "unhinged", if you really paid close attention to what goes on in the swamp he's the most stable person there, but under daily attack and often from members of his own party. I was in a city this morning and was approached by a liberal there and finally he brings up Trump and criticizes him for being the only one not wearing a mask while touring the mask factory. I tried twice to explain that if everyone else in the room is wearing a mask, and one is not, he and they are all still protected from each other, but he couldn't grasp the concept? I still can't grasp how a seemingly well educated recently retired banker could not understand it? I told him I didn't need a mask either since I got vaccinated in China last month......which I predict will be a partially true statement soon.

Just in case anyone needs a refresher. Taken from Page 1 of our website. Good day,gentlemen.

Rules for Board Usage

Machinegunboards.com is a private forum -- Moderators reserve the right to remove posts, remove membership, and run the board as seen fit. Machinegunboards.com also reserves the right to refuse access to anyone, for any reason. DO NOT come here to make trouble. Posting here is a privilege, not a right. Again, All NFA Rules apply.

Machinegunboards.com and its administrators do not assume any risks of doing business or receiving and acting upon information on these boards. Use common sense, and act upon information seen here at your own risk. Always observe appropriate safety practices when handling any firearm. An excellent resource for general firearm safety rules can be found at the NRA Gun Safety Rules Site.

Forums are intended for appropriate information exchange. This forum is NOT to be used for personal attacks, malicious comments, and improper or illegal information exchange. Any concerns or complaints regarding information, products, or services should first be addressed person to person, not on the forums boards. (For this purpose, an internal e-mail system is provided to registered members to contact each other privately.) We intend this to be a fun place to interact with others of similar interests. While interacting on the boards, please treat others courteously, with dignity and respect. Spirited discussions are fine, as long as they are topical, and handled in a professional manner by all involved. Moderators will determine when a post is inappropriate, and the poster will likely NOT receive notification regarding why their post was deleted. They should assume that there was an issue with their deleted post, not dwell on it, and move FORWARD.

While the boards are mainly intended for information exchange, there are instances when an individual may wish to post something for sale to other collectors on the individual forums. If you wish to post an item for sale, you must be at least listed an “RKI Member.” You may also post items for sale if you are listed as a “Long Time RKI Member,” “Respected Member,” “Technical Expert,” “Industry Expert,” or if you are a Board Moderator. Only post items you actually have in your possession – do not post future expected items that have not been physically received yet. If you purchase something listed on the boards, you assume all risks, so understand the seller's terms of sale, return policies, conditions, type of payments and timeframe of delivery prior to your transaction. It is BEST if you have such details in writing, via letter, signed fax or e-mail. Again, All NFA Rules apply, and these boards are NOT primarily market boards.

How do I become an “RKI Member?” (“RKI” stands for “Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual”) There is no pre-set method of attainment, but if you frequent the board, and post regularly, or are an active member of one of the Thompson collector clubs who is known to the moderating team, you will gain such a listing next to your board name in good time.

Maybe we can move this to the off topic forum since the liberals are chiming in

Yes, liberals on this site seems to be a strange phenomenon.

i guess they'd rather have Biden in the White House.

Better move to the off topic forum!

Don't get me wrong guys...I'd love to see the Hughes Amendment repealed! I'm just being realistic and I don't think it will ever happen in our lifetimes.