PPD-40 & PPSH-41 Magazine and Drum Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 azboater

azboater

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 644 posts
  • Interests:God & Country, Family, Firearms, Automobiles, History & Historical Photography

Posted 13 March 2019 - 02:09 PM

Does any member know if the PPD-40 can use the Drum and stick mags of the PPSH-41?

are they Interchangeable? 

Thanks In Advance

#2 Frank Iannamico

Frank Iannamico

Website Founder & Industry Expert

• 1207 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:56 AM

They are not interchangeable. The ejector on a PPD40 interferes with the left feed lip on  PPSh 41 drums and box mags. There were no box magazines for the PPD40, drums are rare (but they will work in a PPSh), the left feed lip is shorter to clear the ejector. HOWEVER, if you grind a small notch at the back of the left feed lip to clear the ejector, PPSh 41 drums and mags will fit and function.

#3 azboater

azboater

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 644 posts
  • Interests:God & Country, Family, Firearms, Automobiles, History & Historical Photography

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:52 PM

Thank You Sir! I appreciate it Frank

Best Regards,.

Nick

Edited by azboater, 15 March 2019 - 07:52 PM.

#4 hkg3k

hkg3k

• Regular Group
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 08:41 PM

They are not interchangeable. The ejector on a PPD40 interferes with the left feed lip on  PPSh 41 drums and box mags. There were no box magazines for the PPD40, drums are rare (but they will work in a PPSh), the left feed lip is shorter to clear the ejector. HOWEVER, if you grind a small notch at the back of the left feed lip to clear the ejector, PPSh 41 drums and mags will fit and function.

Frank is correct of course.  When I bought my PPD-40, it came with a single original drum.  In comparing...I quickly realized what an easy alteration to the drums and stick mags of the PPSh-41.  I think I only ever used the original once...I put it up and used the drums/mags I altered.  Very easy alteration and the drums/mags will still work in the PPSh or Yugo 49