WW2 XX Patent Date Magazines

Gentlemen,

The very first Thompson XX magazine I owned was a very well used, WW2 Patent Date magazine back in 1995, which I later identified as an 'incorrect' Patent Date, ( Aug 20.1920 / Aug 24.1920), magazine.

Since then I have added a further 8 'incorrect' Patent date magazines to my collection, including two which have their witness holes soldered.

Zib Militaria in Germany have received a stock of former British surplus XX magazines recently. I guess British surplus, as there are a number of soldered magazines coming with each order, I received two last week, one ‘incorrect’ Patent Date and one Crosby Co. I also received another ‘incorrect’ Patent Date magazine, which had not been soldered in my order.

Another MGB member, also ordered some XX magazines from Zib, he told me he received three ‘incorrect’ Patent Date magazines, one of which was soldered.

This leads me onto my question, what happened to all the WW2 'correct' Patent Date, (Aug 24.1920 / Aug 24.1920), magazines?

In my collection I have only ever owned two, bought together from the same source, one of which I later traded for a Colt era Patent Date magazine with a fellow MGB member. So I am wondering where all the WW2 ‘correct’ Patent Date magazines went too, how many of you out there, have one or more example of that elusive version?

While on the subject of Thompson magazine, I also believe that most of the ‘V’ marked XXX magazines must have been shipped to the Pacific theatre of operations, (to be confirmed), as those appear to be very rare to find in Europe.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17498&do=findComment&comment=205231

I personally have never seen one for sale this side of the Atlantic, as if I had it would have been in my collection. I am still looking for one, so if anyone has one he is wishing to sell on in the future, I’d love to hear from you, so I can add one to my collection.

Stay safe

Richard

Mag Geek

Edited by rpbcps

Like my fellow Thompson enthusiast has said I purchased 3 XX incorrect patent dated mags from Zib one of which was soldered.

I also dropped lucky with a soldered Crosby.

So if you're like me getting your collection up and running & off the ground & are trying to build a magazine collection Zib is definitely worth a look if you're after specific magazines.

The average UK dealers are offering XX stick mags at £15- £20 a time but half the time you have no idea who manufactured it and what version it is.

Saying that I'm finding that in this game sometimes you drop lucky and good connections are the key.

I have 10 XXXs on their way for bottom dollar.

Can't wait to see what I have.

Maybe I'll cop lucky,again !

Gentlemen,

I've tried to purchase some mags on Zib and have not been successful.

When I try to check out, the only shipping options is "Onsite Pickup at storage Hamburg" which doesn't work so well for me since I'm in Texas, USA. I emailed Zib a couple of times and am receiving no reply.

Any tips? How were you others able to place an order with Zib?

Thanks in advance. Scott

Zib window.png

• 7 months later...

Back to one question posted in original post..."This leads me onto my question, what happened to all the WW2 'correct' Patent Date, (Aug 24.1920 / Aug 24.1920), magazines?"

Any ideas, they seem to be very hard to come by?

Stay safe

Richard