Ot: The Board Rules

Well, I just got off work, and should probably wait a while and form my thoughts before I post this, but here goes. They come randomly. I should probably not even post this, but here goes....

There have been a lot of flames, personal attacks, etc., lately.

I have had a number of messages from people who are upset by the tone or content of some posts, and asked that they be reviewed for deletion.

Also, some people have suggested that the boards be more thoroughly policed for this type of content.

Lately I have been pretty busy with other stuff and have failed in my responsibility to read through the boards. I am sorry.

I am going to take additional steps to eliminate these flame posts and other types of posting activity that have lead to these complaints.

I ask for members to bring posts to my attention, or the attention of another moderator, that fall under this catagory. You don't have to take it upon yourself to speak out against flames or other bad content. PM me.

Any poster who flames others is not posting according to the rules. Similarly, any poster who "trolls" is by definition trying to induce flames by others and is guilty of flaming by proxy. Neither is allowed here. I am going to just delete these posts. No warning. And no one can just post whatever they want.

This is not censorship. Nick is in effect running a publishing company here, and all content is subject to editorial privledge (is one way of looking at it). If you feel like you're being censored, use the email/PM fature and bite the other guys head off that way.

Now, if I am way off on this or you all don't apprciate my position, let's discuss! I want this to be a fun place and it just seems lately it hasn't been. Not like the glory days. Am I wrong?

CG

DEFINITIONS:

Troll

An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that the have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net, as in, "Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll. The way to handle a troll is to ignore him. Please do not feed the troll, it only makes them "grow".

Flame

1. vi. To post an email message intended to insult and provoke. 2. vi. To speak incessantly and/or rabidly on some relatively uninteresting subject or with a patently ridiculous attitude. 3. vt. Either of senses 1 or 2, directed with hostility at a particular person or people. 4. n. An instance of flaming. When a discussion degenerates into useless controversy, one might tell the participants "Now you're just flaming" or "Stop all that flamage!" to try to get them to cool down (so to speak).

i think this all started when i arrived...........

did something follow me from the nether region's of osgard????

hope not i like this hangout,the birger's and the shelton's would have liked it also..........take care,ron colt/21a

Chris,

You, as well as all of the others that help make this site great are doing a heck of a good job. I particularly enjoyed monitoring the posts when you transformed your TSMG into the beaut. I have been faithfully viewing these boards for almost two years. I enjoy hearing everyone's oppinions and have noticed a lot of members "name calling " but have just ignored it.

I agree that these types of posts detract from the true value and that they should be deleted. I would keep track of the posts and those individuals involved. If it seems to be a trend then those members may need to be asked not to post those types of coments and if ignored then delete their account.

I can not say Thank You enough times to all that have helped. We need to pull together and police ourselves. Self control is the best control.

I encourage all of the members to act and write responsibly so that we do not stress the realationship that we all have with one another and other new members. If you can not add a positive comment then keep it to yourself. There have been many times where I have disagreed with others posts but adding fuel to the fire does not solve anything.

I hope that all will realize just how important this site is to our hobby and preserve it for as long as possible.

Sincerely, Brent

There is no escaping criticism in any field of endeavor. But if the criticisms are relegated to inanimate objects, what could be the objection? If this board concentrates on the subject at hand i.e. Thompson's, and doesn't drift into personalities, (although there is a difference between mean spirited attacks and healthy ribbing), or political soap boxing, then what is the harm? The zero tollerance approach maybe the simplist to enforce, but it also tends to eschew expedience for common sense.

Arthur:

I could not agree more. The board should concentrate on Thompsons and not the personalities holding them. I am just as guilty as anyone else for not upholding this tenant, and I do rib some. And, as Brent said, to this end we should police ourselves. However, we have tried that (I have let a lot of stuff go) and look at the end result. I think we all know the difference between healthy fun and tedious personal attacks. I am just suggesting the latter can go. It's all in what we want this board to be. Doesn't there have to be a line? I don't want to come off as some sort of board Nazi. That is not my intent at all. And I cannot make everyone happy. There are rules at the top of the forum, and I think they should be inforced.

To Arthur, Chris and all: I know that at times I have gone around and around with Arthur over one subject or another: politics, cost of Thompsons and even Randy Weaver. I sincerely hope that none of my posts have been offensive in any way. I only seek to add to the lively and informative nature of this forum, and entertain myself and others. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Best Regards, Walter

P.S. I do hope that when board members, in the future, are offended that they PM or email the offending party first, before going to the board Nazi! This will save him some time and agravation, by dealing directly with the problem. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Chris (and other board members)

I guess an apology is in order from me also for feeding the troll. Maybe my comments encouraged a bit of this, but that was not my intent. I always attempt to "be nice" and informative but sometimes my sense of humor can get a bit twisted!! I was pretty civil in this case, but I did flip the beast a bit-o-meat......

I can't see anyone getting in trouble here for illegal actions of others (or simply knowledge thereof) as T-man and others also read these boards and know what's going on. I hope that nobody leaves permanently due to this healthy bit of Testosterone-laced behavior!!! Parts of it I enjoyed - I even got a chuckle out of the personal e-mail ltcboy sent me....wish I'd saved it!

These boards are lots of fun and informational as well. Let's keep them clean and hopefully we'll be able to enjoy them for a looooooooonnnngggggg time!!

john http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

No, no. Nobody is pointing any fingers. I think we all know the difference between a polite disagreement, political squabble, and a blatant flame. The latter is all I am concerned with.

I want to apologize to each and everyone in this forum that I have insulted or said anything derogatory to. I know that with my posting in the past I have ruffled many feathers. I have my opinions and I stick to them. If I believe that something is right, I will not back down. For that I do not apologize. As I said before, I should never let somebody get under my skin and get the best of me. I like this forum, I have learned from it, and I enjoy it, as I am sure everybody else does too. This is not meant to be a stressful place, this is our hobby, and we, collectivley, are a small group that must stick together. Even if this means we have to bend a little, I am willing to shut my piehole. I hope that all of you guys out there accept my sincerest apologies if I have offended you. Lionhart, I want to convet this to you the most. I have been thinking about this for the last couple of days, and once again I am sorry for the jabs,John, I am sorry about the pm. Hardrede, considering your malicious thread you started, I will even apologize to you, for what, I dont know. I will, from now on, be one that hangs around here instead of posting. It just goes to show that when you deal with the public, you never know how they are going to react to what you say or the way they take it in context.

Best of luck to you gentlemen-

MIke

Edited by Ltcboy

you guys can bitch and moan back and forth until you're blue in the finger tips, it is none of my business... HOWEVER, no one wants to log onto the boards and read that crap... they (usually) want to ask a question, get some help, look at some pictures.. not read junk.

use the PM system to talk shit on each other, or click the email button under the persons name... just keep it out of the public please. Think before typing something that makes you look like a 3 year old.

Over and Out

You know, Nick is right.

Look at my case down here on this rock with no Thompson mates or gun shows other than a 14 hour flight to visit you guys. I have learnt so much from this site and the people whom I have met later in the USA and who now have become my friends,,,all through this site.

I was taught long ago,....when ever you point your finger at anyone, you will always have three fingers pointing back at your self. Try it! you will see what I mean.

Kindest best wishes. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (SamG @ Jan 30 2004, 07:29 PM)
QUOTE (colt21a @ Jan 30 2004, 04:05 PM)

hope not i like this hangout,the birger's and the shelton's would have liked it also..........take care,ron colt/21a

Are you from So. Illinois?

at one time chicago sam,but i travelled to that area,and had a few nice colt thompsons from that area..........

wish i still had them,but heck we can't have the stuff forever...............

looking for a copy of donald's bain book war in illinois,if you ever find a copy with the dust jacket intact pop me a e-mail and let me know...........take care, ron colt21a

Rust,

Do what ya gotta do. As you've stated, this is Nick's domain not some public plaza.

Anyone who tries to publicly humiliate someone else here deserves to have their post removed. All that they are doing is serving their own ego. If they must reply to a post in that manner then email should be sufficient. "It's the rules, stupid" Ooopps, it is one of my favorites.

Compared to some of the boards out there this place is quite civil. I know it's a difficult thing to have the membership use constraint but trolls and flamers will always go away (mad, too) if they are ignored.

Keep up the good work. This place is a gem.

I think its easy to single out the people who are trying to cause trouble, I think the best thing is for everyone not to answer their dumb or leading questions. I am sure, help can still be offered the those who have "real" questions.

There are those who go from one site to another and do the same thing. I read several sites, cameras. guns and find the same type of posts on those sites.

I think a post or reference point should be made that the person can be referred to when the questions, legal in nature are asked, that make one think th quesion is a set up. The person can be sent to that post.

Such, as when the often asked question about making a machine gun or milling out a upper receiver appears. These questions should never be answered short of a prepared statement. From experence I can tell you, at some point someone is going to be quoted.

Just my 2cs