Another Ban-over, Drum Question Please!

OK, here's the question please; I have one of the original A-O 1927A1 deluxe that came with the tack-welded 10rd drum in the box with the 30rd stick mag.

I've peeked in the drum wondering what could ever be done to make it a true 50rd'r.

Now that the ban is over, is there a way to convert it back to a true 50, or am I stuck with a 20th century souvenier of the Klinton era?

Any Drum Doctors out there with some hints for those of us with these 10rd display pieces?

TIA!

Skip

Yes, they can be converted. The X drum was an L body and cover with ‘plugs’ welded where the normal spiral guide would have been attached. These ‘plugs’ can be removed and a normal spiral guide installed to make an L drum. Re-blue is required

That’s a good question that I don’t have an answer for yet; a lot would depend on how many X’s you were converting. Let’s see how the group buy works out.

• 2 weeks later...

The ring is the easy converstion. I refitted guides to a few old WW2 rust bucket drums in the past. 50 rounds requires several hours of fitting new shell guides ($80 worth of time), plus several hours of making them (I've made them for others for $45 in a roughed out state). Then to top of off, the x drum spring isn't strong enough to push out fifty rounds. So you have to pay somebody like Merle to put a new spring in the rotor ($200 more). I'm not looking to do any more of them right now, but if you MUST have it done, I'd do the guide for the above prices.

The ring is easy, the spring is strong enough for 30 rounds and I'm making the rings for $45. Got a few orders right now, I'll make a little production run in a couple weeks.

Dan

I don't post much on the Forum, but I read it daily. I contacted Dan Block about his conversion of the "X" Drum to a 30 rounder. This sounds like the most cost effective way to convert the "X" Drum. I sent my Drum to Dan last week and he will complete the entire conversion for me. The Ring is $45, the fitting is $20, and the return shipping is $10.

I payed $110 for the Drum year before last and another $75 puts me with $185 in it, and that is better than buying the overpriced "L" Drum from Kahr. 30 rounds will work for me since min Thompson is semi anyway.

Dan said it would take about 3-4 weeks to get it back and that is fine with me. The Thread was posted on 15 September and here is the address: http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invb...t=ST&f=3&t=3216