Fun On The Range

Went shooting on Sunday with JT and AMAFrank and Chuck. Mostly .22's . We had Ceiner kits for the Thompson that everybody bitches about not working. Well, it worked in my West Hurley without a hitch. Nothing was modified on the gun, it just slid in and worked every time. Now I guess I'll have to buy a .22 kit from the guy. Damn it. I'll post pics in a day or so, got to get them loaded off the camera. There was also a .22 kit on a M16 the worked very well. Thanks guys. It was a blast, no pun intended! Maybe next time it won't be blowing 30mph and 50 degrees!

M16 barrels are not 22LR barrels. The twist rate is wrong and I think the 223 bore is actually bigger. They are not accurate at all.

Here is my M16 in 22LR with suppressor. Video

This is a custom upper from Kuehl Precision Firearms

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ May 2 2005, 07:32 AM)
Went shooting on Sunday with JT and AMAFrank and Chuck. Mostly .22's . We had Ceiner kits for the Thompson that everybody bitches about not working. Well, it worked in my West Hurley without a hitch. Nothing was modified on the gun, it just slid in and worked every time. Now I guess I'll have to buy a .22 kit from the guy. Damn it. I'll post pics in a day or so, got to get them loaded off the camera. There was also a .22 kit on a M16 the worked very well. Thanks guys. It was a blast, no pun intended! Maybe next time it won't be blowing 30mph and 50 degrees!

Mike

Weather was a lot better than the January and March shoots ... no snow, no rain and the mud was not bad (hate it when you loose a transferable as it sinks in the mud ... guess that is what the sling is for). One of the outings was raining, and some of the guys had not brough rain gear (if you keep shooting the water evaporates off the subguns nicely ... plus that is why you clean and oil them)

Thanks for letting me shoot the Thomson, also have to get one of the Ceiner kits for the M1 (if I ever get the paper work done ... LOL!). The full auto 22LR AK47 training rifle might almost have beat out the Thomson with the Ceiner kit due to rate of rife (then again the drum load of 45 on the '28 beats out nearly anything with out a belt ... ;-). The Uzi 22 kit worked well but was a tiny bit fast running the full auto "chipmunk course (wood blocks the size of head, front and side shots on the little critters .... no live chimunks used .................)

The M16 Ceiner works well, in particular on the pistol (will be perfect once get get Franks DIAS install for an outing ... HINT!!!) ... however, nothing is left stock on the Ceiner kit.

Getting bad when running out of room on the tail gate to lay down the Thomsons .... going to have to have Chuck install a rack for them on the farm.

See you later in the month ;-)

Edited by JTinIN

"although it is no match for my Winchester 52"...ah,Phil...what does match up?...I don`t think anything comes close to a 52...for fit ,function,accuracy...there is nothin` like squirrel busting with a 15 power Unertl on top of a bull barrel 52!...they never hear the one that drops`em... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I had to check the date of your post and couldn't believe it was recent as you stated it was 50 degrees. Man, I have not seen anything under 75 in weeks. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Are the mags still $100 each for the Thompson? That and the fact many people complained about the system is the reason I did not buy.

Since the belt fed .22 has been advertised, I sort have forgotten about the Thompson conversion kit. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Yep Jim, butt ass cold here in frozen bumf*ck. Down to 31 tonite. Isn't this freakin' May for God's sake!? Warm the F*ck up!

Ok, off my soap box. Here's a picture or 2 of the 1928 West Hurley of mine firing the .22 kit from JA Ciener.

Here's AMAFRANK firing the gun. It's his kit.

http://www.mikesmachineguns.com/people/Frank_and_the_28.JPG

And here's JTinIN firing the same gun.

http://www.mikesmachineguns.com/people/JT_and_the_28.JPG

Well Phil,

now that we have tried the kit in Mikes west hurley I'll do some of the mods you suggested like soldering or welding the ejector and making some new muzzlenuts. I think the nuts that came with the kit are ok and I like the o-ring deal. O-rings are cheap and work well for anti-rotation locks on threaded fasteners.

I would like to have a nut thats threaded 1/2-28 for the suppressors like most of the other .22's we were shooting. The chamber in Mikes gun was snug but not too tight for the insert barrel but who knows if this is something ciener did or if Mikes gun is just closer to mil-spec??? I'm thinking of making an insert from steel or something for the sear surface of the bolt too as it is starting to show a little wear.

I brought one of the AK semi auto .22 conversions that I've had for about 12-14 years. It worked fantastic in my semi-autos as long as you made sure the bolt was open when you put the mag in. (The ejector gets smashed everytime someone jams the mag in with the bot closed. I hate having the ejector on the mag.) I tried the semi kit in my full auto AMD-65 but it didn't have the poop to trip the safety sear consistantly and cocking the hammer was a major ordeal too. I'll have to leave it for the semi auto AK's. Get yours out and into a gun. I think you'll like it.

The suppressed 10/22 with the 32 power scope was hard on the "chipmunks and exploding targets" and reminded me why they are so popular. The rest of the .22's worked well too, the Hakim trainer was pretty accurate and the Mauser DSM trainer too. My favorite ( no insult to the tommie intended) was the KKMPi69. Its an East German .22 cal trainer version of the MPi69 (AKM) assault rifle. Its select fire and all the internals look like miniatures of the full size. It runs at the same rate too which is pretty slow for a .22.

All in all a good outing for such a freezing windy day.

Frank

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ May 3 2005, 09:15 AM)
AMA Frank,

Don't weld that ejector in!  You want to be able to replace it quickly by just re-heating the solder.  I love the .22s and have a ton of them, hand and long guns.  Don't have to reload it, and I can even use some of the cases for my thin jacketed, hand swaged .223 bullets.

Phil

Frank welds and machines faster than I can solder (but then I am an EE and should not really be close to tools .... LOL!).

Back to a serious note, how close to the Indiana boarder are you? Often will shoot on a weekend in Richmond IN (just on the Ohio line) at Old Trails Rifle Pistol Club - possible set something up sometime.

There is also the Indiana State Sub Machingun Championship the first part of June 11th and 12th.

full auto 45

Looks like there is quite a gap between the foregrip mount and the barrel. My WH had the same problem. I replaced the aluminum grip mount with a steel one and while I was at it I bent the grip mount (using a scrap receiver snout) so that I had about 1/10 inch interference with the barrel. I also shaped the top of the stud to look more like the original type. The grip is much more stable now.

Looks like lots of fun-keep at it. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Kevin