The Thompson Submachine Gun - Mechanism Made Easy

Gale & Polden TSMG Manual.JPG

My copy of David Alberts "Thompson Manuals, Catalogs, and Other Paper Items”, informed me there are two original versions of the British Manual, “The Thompson Submachine Gun - Mechanism Made Easy“, and also a reproduction.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9670

I have two copies, which I believe are originals, one with “14 Photographic plates” and one with “17 Photographic plates”. On their contents page the “17 Photographic plate” version also has the line added “American names of parts in Roman Type” at the bottom of the page. There are other differences though out the manuals, including the book list on the inside of the rear cover in“14 Photographic plates” version has an extra book listed than the other version.

On the last page, page 32, there is a number printed on the bottom right hand side of the page, (opposite the page number). The number in question on the last page of the “14 Photographic plates” in my collection is P-8,750, the number in the “17 Photographic plates” version is P-8875.

The copy I presume is the reproduction, has the “17 Photographic plates” But the number on page 32 is P-9007. I note all the pages in that reproduction, appear to be identical to the original version with the “17 Photographic plates”, (P-8875), BUT the list of books in both the front inside and rear inside covers are different.

I would have thought a reproduction would have the same number on page 32 as an original and also the lists of books in the inside covers would have been the same, which indicates to me, there may have been another original version of this manual, of which my reproduction is a copy.

Can I ask anyone who has a copy of “The Thompson Submachine Gun - Mechanism Made Easy“, published by Gale and Polden, to check page 32 of their manual for a number printed on the bottom right hand side of the page, (opposite the page number). If yours is an original, does the number match my reproduction...P-9007?

Stay safe

Richard

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

eBay has just listed a copy of 'The Thompson Submachine Gun - Mechanism Made Easy', which I missed. The contents where the same as a copy I already have with 32 pages, including 17 illustrations, but the books listed in the front & rear covers were different from both the two original copies I own, and the reproduction copy I mentioned above

Gale & Polden Thompson Book cover.jpg

Gale & Polden Thompson Book rear cover .jpg

So perhaps they changed the covers with each printing, as training manuals / books that were available, changed.

Stay safe

Richard

• 2 years later...