Cracked Wh 28 Receiver

Sorry, Arthur, I just saw the post tonight. Is there a time limit that I or anyone else is required to adhere when replying to a post? If so, I apologize for upsetting you in my posting beyond your time limit. My perceived modesty has now worn thin, and as for my procrastinating polemics, I've yet to attack you before now, either openly of covertly. Still, if you want polemics, read further.

Your childish antics and petulent attitude speak volumes about your personal character, and go far to confirm what John seems to feel. Like John, I'll give you my sugar-coated version: You may know a fair bit about Colt TSMGs, but but you're as abrasive as 60 grit sandpaper on a hemoroid-riddend fanny. I've watched your posts not just here, but on Subguns and Sturmgewehr as well. And on each of these sites, you do little more than berate and belittle anyone and everyone who disagrees with you. You offer little of value, either to further knowledge and appreciation of all TSMGs ("all" includes even my WH M1 with its genuine bullet logo and bonafide "Thompson" name) or words of advice, encouragement, or even cameraderie among TSMG aficionados. Your holier-than-thou attitude flat-out sucks.

Nick, delete this if you feel I crossed the line. I likely did by flaming, but I plead mitigating circumstances. I've watched Arthur berate others for a long time, and now am under attack myself. Do as you will.

After sleeping on it, I'll edit my own post. That last comment was out of line on my part. My apologies to the board.

Edited by Bill in VA

QUOTE (28 SCARAB @ May 12 2004, 06:24 PM)
Ira Trast swore up and down the F/A WH receivers were all 4100 series steel,  TRAST did not know the day of the week most of the time!!!!!!!! The frames and rec. were all made from 12L14 steel  ON THE WEST HURLEY GUNS 28,27A1 AND MIAI From 1975 to the day they closed

So, I take it 12L14 steel is bad?

Damn, Bill, you have a way with words!!

Sometimes there may be a whole lot a screwing going on here, I don't think it's love though. But it's all in fun.

Hey doesn't Arty have a Westy!?

Gunner,

No, 12L14 is not “bad”, it is a free machining steel, widely used. It would be what is commonly called a “mild steel”- not through hardenable. Early Thompsons were made of an alloy that was hardened, and therefore tougher.

28 Scarab,

Please share with us the experiences that have given you your insight into WH Thompsons- are you a former employee or ???

There have been many opinions espoused on the subject of materials used for WH receivers. I have made effort to ascertain some credible facts concerning the material used, but have been unsuccessful. Testing that I have done would be consistent with your statements regarding the use of 12L14, but have not been definitive.

Welcome aboard.

Holy gunsmoke, didn't mean to open old wounds, or make new ones. Had it welded, with space stick, will be at Albany, OR shoot this weekend to make a lot of noise.

Thanks for the constructive input. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

Cracked receiver, ain't nuthin' that a suitable application of JB Weld, a Dremel tool, and a bluing pen wouldn't currect. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

PK. There was one small run I think in 76-77 that was 1086 steel ? Ill have to think about it a little but the rest of the WH, guns were made from 12L14 I hope this helps!!!! I don't want to say who I am at this time[ some of you do know me ] http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif But I will help if I can !!!!!!! Edited by 28 SCARAB

Yes, duct tape, Bondo, or bailing wire are all good field expedients for such a situation (until JB Weld and a Dremel can be located and a proper repair made) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

What is interesting is resulphurized, free machining steel, especially ones containing lead like 12L14 are almost impossible to weld without hot cracking in the weld and heat-affected zone, and this cannot be cured by pre/post heat treatments.

This alone leads me to believe if it can be welded, it ain't 12L14.

The Original blueprints for Colt guns speced N-2 steel for the receiver, same as the bolt.

Doug

Until we know who you are, just saying you were there for 16 years means nothing, as you could be a highschool kid that is bored, or AF with a name change. :-)

The fact still remains, 12L14 is almost impossible to weld without hot cracking. And that tidbit comes from the chief technical instructor at Hobart Welding institute, not me.

Doug

AZDOUG No I am not a high school kid or AF with a name change? I was just telling you guys that it was 12L14 to try to help !!! That is all Quality fab.or IONA would mach. for AOC in WEST HURLEY. Also Iona never mach. any full auto rec. Edited by 28 SCARAB

What AZDoug says is correct about the weldability fo 12L14 and similar steels- that’s likely why Glen has had his done so many times. There are specialty fillers that prove more successful than more traditional materials.

28 SCARAB,

AZDoug’s skepticism is not unfounded- there are many interesting folks hiding behind the internet. Assuming you are for real, I would love to sit and talk shop some day. Meanwhile, welcome again.

No...my hunch...Machine Gun Bob of Keystone arms in PA. Could it be? Just pulled that out of the air...but think it is right. Come on now 28 scarab...don't keep us in suspense forever!

Just called Joe and spoke with the Missus...she said he did not work there so I must be wrong.

28scarab...part of the fun is watching everyone guess! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Damon