Colt 1921 Thompson & M1A1

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Mid Ohio Services

Mid Ohio Services

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:16 AM

Hi, again, I put the MP 40 on GB, I then listed more photo's so the  buyers could see what they were getting. I then advised the top bidder that I would not hold him to it and I

would eat the GB fees.....I have since then contacted GB and explained to them  that there are several complaints about this not being a true firearm and to please remove it.

I do not know what else I can do.  thank you.

#22 Robert Henley

Robert Henley

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 857 posts
  • Interests:NRA Life Benefactor
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:10 PM

Well, at least from what I understand, the proper destruction of the receiver of the Thompson would require it to be torch cut. I think one pass through the band saw (as it looks like this one has done) would not cut it. Maybe the receiver is not included in the sale and Mid Ohio has some way to legally own it. Sure someone can correct me if I am missing something.

It is a shame this was cut up in the first place. Just the parts are beautiful.

I don't have any skin in the game, but I see the Colt Thompson listing now refers to this Board and poster.  I'm not certain of the requirements, but my general recollection is that if the receiver was cut by the ATF regulations at the time it would be legal to own.  I think the destruction requirements are more stringent today.  Others with more knowledge or someone who wants to look it up can cite or provide the applicable regulations.  I agree it's a nice looking example.  My thought was similar to the earlier post on a post-sample possibility.  Will be interesting to hear what other more knowledgeable members have to say on it.

https://www.gunbroke.../Item/803927227

#23 Atllaw

Atllaw

• Regular Group
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:31 PM

Not sure why Mid Ohio referred to me in the Gunbroker Ad, but seems to be a bit sarcastic. As I said, I am no expert and dont think there is any reason for the seller to be salty with me - I am not bidding on it nor do I care how or if he sells it.

Roberts observation makes a lot of sense and he is probably correct.

#24 Frankford

Frankford

• Regular Group
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 12:34 AM

Concerning the Colt 1921, From the cited Reference,

Unserviceable firearm means :

“a firearm which is incapable of discharging a shot by means of an explosive and incapable of being readily restored to a firing condition.”

(26 USCS § 5845)

Has anyone readily restored a saw cut TSMG ? or any MG ?

Nothing "readily" about it. Its a PITA with all the tooling, and it still may not work. That Colt was a VG candidate for a post-sample MG, now its lost to history.

Sad.