Adjustable Stock for m1928

I have been thinking and wanted to get others advise. On the lower frame there is a machined out slot for the stock and after that is where the serial number is. I was thinking of having additional slots machined in and relocating the serial number so that other users with smaller frames and arms could more easily handle it. What are other's opinion of this and has anyone tried doing this yet?

You wouldn't get enough adjustment to be worth the effort.

Assuming you could slide the stock forward, it would block getting a proper firing grip.

As mentioned above, butt stock wood is cheap. I passed some nice ones for $10 each at the creek.

I haven't yet seen a Thompson uglied up with a CAR style stock; might be something to try there, if you need field adjustment.

One problem with chopping the stock: the buttplate won't fit anymore.

Deerslayer Dan can make you a stock of any length, with the back end correct for the buttplate.

I did a chopped 28 stock, cut a double radius so a M1 buttplate would fit and put that on it. It was about 1.25" shorter and really helped my 80 year old mother shoot it. Also a sub 5'6" shooter gets a lot of help from it too. A couple others had shorter stocks at TATA last summer - I do not have good pics of any, but the $3 I paid for the stock was definitely worth it!

I did a chopped 28 stock, cut a double radius so a M1 buttplate would fit and put that on it. It was about 1.25" shorter and really helped my 80 year old mother shoot it. Also a sub 5'6" shooter gets a lot of help from it too. A couple others had shorter stocks at TATA last summer - I do not have good pics of any, but the $3 I paid for the stock was definitely worth it!

As Mike has stated we both have seen shorter stocks on Thompsons at the TATA show. Seems to work well from my perspective. It would look like an inexpensive solution for just a little bit of effort and then only modifying inexpensive parts.

When shooting I use a stock that came off a M1 Garand, it has the same length of pull as a TSMG stock and it fits me. I have another modified M1 Garand stock that is 1.5 - 2.0 inches shorter depending on if using the E&L butt pad for other people to use.

When shooting I use a stock that came off a M1 Garand, it has the same length of pull as a TSMG stock and it fits me. I have another modified M1 Garand stock that is 1.5 - 2.0 inches shorter depending on if using the E&L butt pad for other people to use.

Wayne, do you have a picture of that?

Bob D

Interesting discussion. The standard Thompson stock always felt long to me. Surplus thompson wood is available and low cost. Chopping 2" off a surplus stock and fitting another butt plate would be simple. The finished stock would still retain the look and lines of an.original Tommy.

I'll put this project on my list.

Edited by timkel

If it were me I'd use a beater 28 stock shorted to the needed length. IMO: Anyone who fits buttplates and pads to other guns wouldn't have much of a problem grinding down the plate to fit either.

This discussion raises an interesting question. We all know Thompson buttstocks are still available in abundance even today. Does anyone know why the contractors made such an enormous overrun?
Jim

I don't think it was an overrun. The U. S. Government ordered more spares than needed. I remember an eBay lot about 10 years ago for a few pallets of M1928 TSMG stocks. They were purchased for about 75 cents apiece, IIRC.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Shortening stocks: My semi 27 I just remove the buttstock and let the youngsters hip shoot it. But on my 1022 I got a cheap stock and cut off 2" and replaced the buttplate and it works great for the youngsters! GK

Wayne, do you have a picture of that?

Bob D

top 1923 Military Model made by Dan Block

lower regular TSMG

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af79/Wcube2/23MilREG.jpg

top M1 Garand long

lower M1 Garand short

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af79/Wcube2/M1longM1short.jpg